🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Another Button Backmark I Need Help with.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since I am in isolation I have been going through boxes of stuff I inherited from three of my brothers and found several buttons I will possibly need help with as far as dating the backmark goes. I will start with these two. I don't think these are dug but my brother s started detecting in the very early 1970s. They also traded for relics and that is where I think these came from.
The first is a Mass. Volunteer Militia staff coat size with 24 stars if I counted right. Backmark is raised letters in a depressed channel and reads ***superior/ quality***.
Second button is a Providence R.I. horse guard with a *scovill mf'g co./ waterbury.* I think that backmark dates from about 1860 to the late 1870s.
Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Attachments

• Mass. Volunteer Militia back.jpg
    Mass. Volunteer Militia back.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 131
  • Mass. Volunteer Militia front.jpg
    Mass. Volunteer Militia front.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 42
  • Providence Horse Guard R.I. back.jpg
    Providence Horse Guard R.I. back.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 40
  • Providence Horse Guards R.I. front.jpg
    Providence Horse Guards R.I. front.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 43

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Because your Mass. Vol. Militia is a 3-piece brass button and has an RMDC (Raised-Mark-[in a]Depressed-Channel) backmark, I'd say it was made sometime from the early-1840s into the 1850s, because RMDC "Superior Quality" backmarks died out by the end of the 1850s, and 3-piece brass buttons were rare before the 1840s.

Your Providence (Rhode Island) Horse Guard button's impressed lettering Scovill backmark has only one "star" (asterisk), and a single circle of dots surrounded the loop/shank, and is written in what the Albert book calls large letters, so it dates from about 1880 to 1920. I think it is more likely to be from the first half of that range.

Last edited:
Upvote 9

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Because your Mass. Vol. Militia is a 3-piece brass button and has an RMDC (Raised-Mark-[in a]Depressed-Channel) backmark, I'd say it was made sometime from the early-1840s into the 1850s, because RMDC "Superior Quality" backmarks died out by the end of the 1850s, and 3-piee brass buttons were rare before the 1840s.

Your Providence (Rhode Island) Horse Guard button's impressed lettering Scovill backmark has only one "star" (asterisk), and a single circle of dots surrounded the loop/shank, and is written in what the Albert book calls large letters, so it dates from about 1880 to 1920. I think it is more likely to be from the first half of that range.

As always, you never cease to amaze me with the amount of knowledge you possess TCB. :notworthy:

Upvote 4

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread