Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

There was a horrible picture of the keys victim......it was sobering to see !! Be careful and trust your instinct....if it seems dangerous it probably is !! Everybody watch your back, and use the buddy system or you could just disappear !!

Upvote 20

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scary stuff Bart! Never felt comfortable swimming in the ocean.
I am with you, SD. As I have said before, sharks do not swim in my living room and I do not swim in theirs.
But I admire folks like Bart that jump right in there after treasure to share with his mates. What a champ.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a kid I was fascinated with sharks and I have been swimming when I had a sand shark swim right by me and my girlfriend while we were picking up sand dollars, I also had an experience when a school of hammerheads came up from South America because of the El Nino, changed the water temps, I was on my surfboard laying on top sunning when I got bumped and I looked over the edge and saw about a 13 or 14 foot hammerhead swimming by not a fun experience. One of our teachers aides saw me reading a shark attack book I had and she asked me if this guys name was in there as a shark attack victim and I said yes and she told me he was her boyfriend and she witnessed the whole attack from a bluff overlooking where he was skin diving for abalone of the California coast him and a buddy were skin diving while their girlfriends were on the bluff. His attack was a great white and they never found him, all that was found was a mangled swim fin, his friend said the last thing he saw was the upper half of his friend in the jaws of the shark as it swam below. I remembered his Name it was Robert Pamperin it happened in La Jolla California by Alligator rock.

Last edited:

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a kid I was fascinated with sharks and I have been swimming when I had a sand shark swim right by me and my girlfriend while we were picking up sand dollars, I also had an experience when a school of hammerheads came up from south America because of the El Nino changed the water temps, I was on my surfboard laying on top sunning when I got bumped and I looked over the edge and saw about a 13 or 14 foot hammerhead swimming by not a fun experience. One of our teachers aides saw me reading a shark attack book I had and she asked me if this guys name was in there as a shark attack victim and I said yes and she told me he was her boyfriend and she witnessed the whole attack from a bluff overlooking where he was scuba diving for abalone of the California coast him and a buddy were diving while their girlfriends were on the bluff. His attack was a great white and they never found him, all that was found were mangled swim fins his friend the last thing he saw was the upper half of his friend in the jaws of the shark as it swam below.
Horrible.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just pick up some spray :tongue3:
063013batcopter07-1024x836.jpg

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Florida’s 28 cases represent 60% of the U.S. total... 2021

Last edited:

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
I was a very active SCUBA diver for many years & saw a lot of sharks, & gators in the water. I never had a single one that seemed interested in me.
This may surprise you ;

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In this article there is a reference to a shark attack at the islamorada sand bar in april.....I was hunting there today and was hit hard in the back.....no blood....but it was a big fish !! There have been some pretty unprovoked attacks in the last couple years.....they keep it pretty quiet down here.....as an islander, its just always in the back of your head. Couple months ago I had to wrestle with 2 nurse sharks for a grouper I speared. They helped flush my wounded fish out of the coral where he was hiding....and bleeding from the first spear shot. Eventually they flushed him out for a second shot.....I almost got my calf bit, and twice I had to prick the shark with the spear to keep them off my partner !! If its not hurricanes, its shark attacks !!

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Screenshot_20220718-065054_Instagram.jpg
she's a tough warrior that's been through a violent attack.....im glad to see she is able to muster a smile. The mental and physical injuries are similar to a combat experience. The authorities always try to make it sound like sharks don't really bite people on purpose.......total bullsh.t.....she was brutally attacked for no apparent reason.....she wasn't even in the water a minute. The behavior of sharks is being effected by humans. These sharks are being conditioned by humans to be even more aggressive. Cleaning fish in marinas is really getting out of control.....they become accustomed to attacking anything that hits the water.....I would not want to fall in when these sharks are in a frenzy.

Sandscoopdan

May 19, 2012
Cypress,Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Extreme scoop
Boat: 20ft Four Winns w/92 V8 5.0L Cobra Mustang engine
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My daughter bought me a sharkbanz2. She has been worried I will get bit in half. Only one way to find out if it works. I will be testing it out this fall. I did some testing with it on my ankle in the back yard and no interference with the Excal. I will see if any interference while in the salt water and will report back. Seems like a lot of surfers are starting to wear these.

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ou8acracker2

Apr 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was tarpon fishing off St. Augustine this last weekend and there were SO many sharks - drifting live baits through bait pods in 10-16 feet of water - 50 yards off the beach (if that) and there were some 6 footers busting the bait, a fair amount of 4 footers swimming around the boat at all times.

Oblivious people swimming off the beach. Bait was heavily flicking the surface and they just did not pay it any mind. Those were the sharks we saw, cant imagine how many we didn't see.

I expect most of the time, it is these people who get bit - but it really is all luck of the draw. Always scan the water before you jump in off a boat too. I was in the Abaco's and about to dump off the dinghy and looked down and low and behind a nice solid 6 footers cruising around. THEN AGAIN - a picture was taken later of my cousin and in the background was a 14 foot tiger shark over the reef behind him we later saw in the picture. No one had a clue it was there. Roll the dice everytime you get in

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread