Another curious piece from the garden

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings,

I found another interesting piece. Almost comically it was about 4 inches from the last piece I posted. Dug it up as I am doing some landscaping in the area. Always looking at anything that pops out of the ground.

Thoughts are appreciated. I was thinking it could be a scraper at best. Geofact at worst. Figured it is worth asking about.

YardStone-2022-07-11-Img_2426SS.jpg

YardStone-2022-07-11-Img_2429SS.jpg

YardStone-2022-07-11-Img_2430SS.jpg

YardStone-2022-07-11-Img_2434SS.jpg

YardStone-2022-07-11-Img_2433SS.jpg

YardStone-2022-07-11-Img_2436SS.jpg

Thank you for looking. I hope you all find some great stuff soon.

Upvote 2

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, it isn't an artifact. Curious, you say from your garden, do you use a tilled in the garden?

OP
OP
EricTheCat

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, it isn't an artifact. Curious, you say from your garden, do you use a tilled in the garden?
I till with a shovel. All my gardens were just yard when I moved here (a thistle forest to be accurate). I do use a snow blower in the winter. I have not found any other pieces of either material so far but maybe it will turn up to be that.

I have found a few artifacts on my property. Given how heavily I have searched it though I wouldn't say it's a great place to search for artifacts. I find far more agates and fossils here.

Thanks for your thoughts. Much appreciated as always. If I did just post a snow-blower artifact I am sincerely sorry to everyone here. :)

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I know I see ventral and dorsal surfaces, a shock ripple, possibly an eraillure scar and striking platform, old patina and less patinated surfaces. It's an exhausted core, a fat flake struck from a core or debitage I'd say.

Check out eraillure scar images I Googled in this link...

Last edited:

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe I’m mistaken but in the black I see a bulb like you see where the strike occurs indicating the removal ran in the direction of the black arrow, but the ripples seem to run the opposite direction… and to have that hinge high in the removal is odd but I guess it could have been a bad strike before the actual removal. I can get behind the core but it just seems like something isn’t normal.

Attachments

• A1FBE21B-639B-4A09-AD20-A7DFB3DCAF75.jpeg
    A1FBE21B-639B-4A09-AD20-A7DFB3DCAF75.jpeg
    120.3 KB · Views: 18

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What I'm seeing...

In your pic, the strike originated from the left and continued in the direction of the red arrow. I'm thinking the little hole on the left edge is an eraillure scar from percussion on that edge. The shock waves are radiating outward to the right like ripples that occur when a pebble is tossed in a pool of still water. I agree that the diving step fracture does look rather odd. Could have been from a weak spot in the material. The rough side looks like that may be the remnants of a quartz/quartzite vein that was previously there. In that case, the piece may be a "decortication-like" flake although that's not really cortex technically.

JMHO

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For me, machinery could have caused the breaks, lawn mowers, tillers, shovels, etc. nothing visible to prove it was by ancient man.

Last edited:
OP
OP
EricTheCat

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, I really appreciate all the detailed replies.

I tend toward the more skeptical side of the answers, so I'm going to consider this one maybe left by some machinery. Very possibly from when this land was an orchard. Wouldn't surprise me if they had some tilling going on.

OP
OP
EricTheCat

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's certainly been hammered on, could be from previous owner mechanical tillage. Have you found any artifacts made from that material? It certainly looks workable, and could be a left over core.
I have not found any of that exact material in any form. I have found lighter grey and more brown colored flint. The quartzite look to the rough area is curious and not something I have encountered on what looks like a flint/chert material.

In terms of artifacts here, they are mostly oolitic chert, one I would call jasper and one tiny broken piece of worked brown flint.

OP
OP
EricTheCat

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, nothing wrong in looking and asking. There is a member UP NORTH from Minn. who finds lots of stuff. He hasn't posted in awhile.

Thank you! Makes me feel better for cluttering this place up with non-good ones. Yeah UP NORTH definitely finds some great stuff over there. I think they are just a ways East of my location.

OP
OP
EricTheCat

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the camera out for something else so I took a quick shot of these from the yard. Just to show some materials I have found. Nothing too similar to the one in the original post.

Thanks again everyone and happy hunting!

Artifacts-2022-07-13-Img_2478S.jpg

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
That piece is odd. I see workmanship, obviously not a fine artifact but it looks like someone tried to squeeze some usefulness out of a nice lithic.

I think what Older the Better sees is pretty accurate, and that odd angle attack that looks odd is what you often get when they had to use pretty hard percussion on small pieces.

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that one on the top right is a broken tool of some kind, I don’t know if I’m pointing out something you already know and I even wonder if the one with a spike is a graver but that’s a little more iffy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread