Another Dutch Hunter Crosses Over

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
So sorry to hear that Roy and Beth. Did you ever get a chance to meet him in person? I thought he would end up outliving us all :) Godspeed Joseph.

Yes we got together in Tumacacori in fact along with our mutual friend Infosponge and his wife June. He was even more fascinating in person and Berta as lovely and charming as could be. They were a beautiful couple and an encyclopedia of knowledge and experiences. We miss them a lot.

Blindbowman thank you too take care and talk soon.
Roy

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes we got together in Tumacacori in fact along with our mutual friend Infosponge and his wife June. He was even more fascinating in person and Berta as lovely and charming as could be. They were a beautiful couple and an encyclopedia of knowledge and experiences. We miss them a lot.

Blindbowman thank you too take care and talk soon.
Roy

Glad to hear that

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I received a message this morning that Richard B. Stolley passed away yesterday. Many here know that Richard wrote the Life Magazine June 14, 1964 article, Mysterious Maps to Lost Gold Mines. The article about Travis Marlowe ( Clarence O. Mitchell ) and the Peralta stone maps in the Superstition mountains. I met Richard while writing the Clarence Mitchell Stone Maps article for the SMHS Journal. Stolley was still interested in Mitchell and the stone maps and we traded information, valuable information for me in finishing the article for the Journal. He was a brilliant man with a photographic memory.. Richard was 92 and lived in Sante Fe, New Mexico. He was best known for his obtaining the Zapruder film of John F. Kennedys assassination and article/book about that terrible event.

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My condolences to Mr. Stolley's loved ones, and friends.

Mr. Roberts, you couldn't find a more fitting avatar to represent you. I am sure that you have been recomended to many flim producers as the real man to go to, on all things about the LDM. When you talk, everyone around listens, even the so called experts know they are about to get educated. I too look forward to reading a book by you, may it be the final chapter to this legend.

Homar

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
I received a message this morning that Richard B. Stolley passed away yesterday. Many here know that Richard wrote the Life Magazine June 14, 1964 article, Mysterious Maps to Lost Gold Mines. The article about Travis Marlowe ( Clarence O. Mitchell ) and the Peralta stone maps in the Superstition mountains. I met Richard while writing the Clarence Mitchell Stone Maps article for the SMHS Journal. Stolley was still interested in Mitchell and the stone maps and we traded information, valuable information for me in finishing the article for the Journal. He was a brilliant man with a photographic memory.. Richard was 92 and lived in Sante Fe, New Mexico. He was best known for his obtaining the Zapruder film of John F. Kennedys assassination and article/book about that terrible event.

Yes, Dick wrote the Life Magazine article himself and was not paid. I went back and looked at our conversation this morning. I began pestering Dick in 2010, ha!

The only thing I can think to write about his passing is that it is a loss in every sense of the word.

Thank you Matthew.

attachment.php

Attachments

• D413DF87-38A2-4D23-BF61-F09861ABABAB.jpeg
    D413DF87-38A2-4D23-BF61-F09861ABABAB.jpeg
    55 KB · Views: 500

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Richard Stolley joined Life Magazine in the early 1950's and when he wrote the 1964 Life magazine article on the Stone Maps and Travis Marlowe he was a reporter and managing editor. Stolley spent several weeks in Apache Junction and the Superstition Mountains while researching the story with Travis Marlowe,
( Clarence Mitchell ). He told me at the time , June of 1964, the Marlowe stone map article received more mail than any other Life magazine article.

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Richard Stolley joined Life Magazine in the early 1950's and when he wrote the 1964 Life magazine article on the Stone Maps and Travis Marlowe he was a reporter and managing editor. Stolley spent several weeks in Apache Junction and the Superstition Mountains while researching the story with Travis Marlowe,
( Clarence Mitchell ). He told me at the time , June of 1964, the Marlowe stone map article received more mail than any other Life magazine article.

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, Dick wrote the Life Magazine article himself and was not paid. I went back and looked at our conversation this morning. I began pestering Dick in 2010, ha!

The only thing I can think to write about his passing is that it is a loss in every sense of the word.

Thank you Matthew.

attachment.php

The loss of a friend is the greatest sorrow...your absence here has also been a great loss...just so you know you've been missed, Compadre.:hello:

goldbugpr

Apr 9, 2006
Detector(s) used
minelab 3500
I am sorry to report that my good friend and long time hiking partner Rick Gwynne has passed away. He fought hard but was unable to comeback. He will be missed by those who knew him. He was kind and generous. I will miss his sometimes over embellished stories. Rick was my partner when we were able to solve the mystery of the Peralta Stones and we wrote "In Search of the Heart" to tell the story.
Peace my old friend.

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am sorry to report that my good friend and long time hiking partner Rick Gwynne has passed away. He fought hard but was unable to comeback. He will be missed by those who knew him. He was kind and generous. I will miss his sometimes over embellished stories. Rick was my partner when we were able to solve the mystery of the Peralta Stones and we wrote "In Search of the Heart" to tell the story.
Peace my old friend.

So sorry to hear that - I had hoped to see him again at the next Rendezvous. Condolences

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Phil,

I also hoped Rick would pull through against the odds. He has now crossed over that great divide we all must cross one day. I loved his stories and remember you told me one time at the Mesa rock and gem show about how you and Rick searched for the heart together. Another irreplaceable loss to the Dutchman community.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Peace my old friend.

Rick will be sorely missed - by all that knew him - He was such a great guy - RIP Rick, and all of my prayers go out to his family and friends.

Mrs. O

Mc4500

Mar 7, 2013
Arizona
Peace my old friend.

I'm sorry Phil.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just found out in the last two days that two old friends have died.

One was "Pegleglooker". His name was John Grasson. He wasn't a Dutch Hunter, but he was known from his searching for the Spanish Ship in the Salton Sea Area.

The second was a very good friend named Dave Cook. He was "AZDAVE35" on TNet. He spent his whole life in the area of Apache Junction, and was involved in mining and Dutch Hunting.

I haven't heard anything regarding funeral services for either.

Mike

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AZDAVE35 passed away? I am so sorry... I have for years enjoyed his postings. Time stops for no man...
Of all the people I have met in the Dutch Hunting Community, he was one of the very few I trusted anything out of his mouth to be the truth.

Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread