Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
if it's any consolation Calabash, my Multi Kruzer flooded after a water hunt, but that was also after it was opened by the repair center for a different issue. The best you can hope for is if you get a fast warranty turn around time. Good luck.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
And this is why I have an Excal II in addition to my EQ800.... Don't trust nuthin....

And I did have my Excal refurbed by Kellyco a couple years ago. The deepest I go is chin deep....

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't go in the water. As I have stated before, I have seen too many folks come out bleeding from underwater stuff...

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And this is why I have an Excal II in addition to my EQ800.... Don't trust nuthin....

And I did have my Excal refurbed by Kellyco a couple years ago. The deepest I go is chin deep....

I've seen Excals flood too. Any water machine can if not properly sealed, or something fails.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
warranty time again, good luck

Iffy Signals

Sep 17, 2018
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Current-Deus & Equinox 800. Past - CTX, F75, AT Pro/Max, F44, Patriot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it has to do with the gasket behind the speaker. It may be fine when you first get but after hunting and getting dust, small dirt in the air flying around could be getting in the way of the seal when trying to close properly. Who knows just a guess.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think there is a manufacturing issue on some units. It seems to happen after the first or second dunking based on anecdotal evidence of those who do post their failures. So if you do plan to submerge it at some point, test it out first. If it fails, get it replaced. If it passes a couple of dunks without failing, you should have reasonable assurance you will be good to go without a future issue. We won't know for sure that there is a design unless Minelab acknowleges a more widespread issue or until we see failures occurring after several submergences, of which we haven't seen many, if any, reports. And frankly, considering the popularity of the Equinox, I am not surprised about hearing about a few of these. Just wish we knew what the percentages of failed units of those that actually see underwater usage (not just total number of units sold because I bet a large percentage of folks keep their Equinoxes dry). Just my $0.02.

Doug H

May 23, 2014
Cumberland, VA
Detector(s) used
White's coinmaster pro
Garrett at pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Other
So is "waterproof to 10 feet" really that much when your talking submerging a detector. If your in beach water up to your chest and swinging the coil, the control unit is probably what...2 feet or so under the water. Then you have the pressure of the ocean currents on your control unit. Then if you step in a hole or something, the control unit may be 3 or 4 feet under the water. It just seems like it could be really easy to push that magical 10 feet number without really trying. Just doesn't seem that much to me. Maybe these companies baseline should be 20 feet or something.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doug H, you would have to pay more for a machine to go to 20 feet, plus there are machines already on the market that will do that already. Just everybody let's go play! Weather is starting to cool off, it will be a few more weeks before the bees are gone, and the corn and beans are cut. If anybody wants to test any machine they have, I'd do it now before the cool digging season starts.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So is "waterproof to 10 feet" really that much when your talking submerging a detector. If your in beach water up to your chest and swinging the coil, the control unit is probably what...2 feet or so under the water. Then you have the pressure of the ocean currents on your control unit. Then if you step in a hole or something, the control unit may be 3 or 4 feet under the water. It just seems like it could be really easy to push that magical 10 feet number without really trying. Just doesn't seem that much to me. Maybe these companies baseline should be 20 feet or something.

Most engineers design their equipment with margin, so it is probably designed to something greater than 10 feet (say 15 or 20) to guarantee 10 feet. These units seem to have some pre-existing defect or breach in the case such that water is getting in regardless of depth. It just has to be submerged below the water line.

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The day after Labor day here in NY is the best time to find out if your detector is still waterproof. You have to pay a 10 dollar fee in NY, but you'll be able to detect state beaches as well as in the water to find all the jewelry everyone lost this past year. It's been a yearly event for me, and I'm out in the water by 5 AM. This time I plan on wearing my wet-suit.

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am in the water all summer long does NY not allow that?

The day after Labor day here in NY is the best time to find out if your detector is still waterproof. You have to pay a 10 dollar fee in NY, but you'll be able to detect state beaches as well as in the water to find all the jewelry everyone lost this past year. It's been a yearly event for me, and I'm out in the water by 5 AM. This time I plan on wearing my wet-suit.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Soaked my 800 two days ago and no issues yet. Here’s hoping none crop up. We’ll see.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok.. ran the 800 through its paces and tested it on gold, silver dime, silver Quarter, war nickel etc. all reported as expected loud and clear. So no problems at this point. :cool:

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good deal..

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am in the water all summer long does NY not allow that?

Not on state park beaches. I kinda like it though because you know that on Tuesday morning there will be 20 or more detectorists out in the water searching for all that lost jewelry. It's like a beach party. I'll be packing my cooler and making a day of it.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be lying if I said I didn't cringe each and every time I dunk my machine, so far no issues.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread