Another new guy here!

Rahk

Oct 31, 2021
Hot Springs, SD
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello everyone. I’m very new to detecting, like I just ordered what I hope will be a good starter machine. I got the Nokta Makro Simplex after reading a lot of reviews and lurking on different Facebook groups. I live in the southern black hills of South Dakota and am hopelessly addicted to rockhounding. I spend alot of time out looking for Fairburn Agates and after watching a show on tv when I was out of state working, I got bit by the treasure hunting/ metal detecting bug!

Any info or advice for a newcomer to the hobby?

Chris

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome! The Simplex Plus is an excellent machine to start with, as is the Minelab Vanquish 540 for a bit more money. Looking forward to seeing your posts!:skullflag:

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome!
Jon from s/e Michigan 8-):cat::occasion14::headbang:

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
Welcome Aboard Rahk! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forum: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country). You might also consider adding your state (or country) to your displayed profile (SETTINGS -> EDIT PROFILE) so if you ask a question, etc. - members may have more success helping you (your location may help etc.)...

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to TreasureNet...!
Good choice of machine!
The Simplex most likely, will be intimidating, for a bran-new BEGINNER to metal detecting..., BUT if you take some notes for the numbers AND tones you get for each trash signal, then you can High Grade a hunt site, real easy...! Good way to begin...! :icon_thumright:

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from upstate NY. The best advice I can give you is to do lots of research of your area...is there an historical society? Find a county history, town histories, where places used to be that are no longer. Every hour of research will save you hours of wasted time.

Sandcrab

Jun 14, 2021
Oceanside CA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Coiltek 10x5 and 15, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hello Chris! Welcome to the forum. :hello:

CZKidd

Dec 12, 2018
NW FL
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI Beach Hunter
Equinox 800, Equinox 600
XP DEUS, XP DEUS 2
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hello everyone. I’m very new to detecting, like I just ordered what I hope will be a good starter machine. I got the Nokta Makro Simplex after reading a lot of reviews and lurking on different Facebook groups. I live in the southern black hills of South Dakota and am hopelessly addicted to rockhounding. I spend alot of time out looking for Fairburn Agates and after watching a show on tv when I was out of state working, I got bit by the treasure hunting/ metal detecting bug!

Chris
That's great! This hobby grows on you. you can actually find targets that'll pay for that machine. Found one that bought me my XP DEUS. I always recommended the Simplex + even though I have never used their products. It is a good entrance machine and if it doesn't work out, you can sell it quick and pretty much get your investment back. To many high end machines become closet queens, unfortunatley.

Keg1717

Oct 25, 2021
Hi I’m more a researcher than a hunter got hurt a few years back so don’t get out much . But I do a bunch of research I do all kinds of research. From pirates to civil war to slave ships alway looking for someone to talk treasure about . I’m always on my iPad doing something looking forward to some good conversations . Thank you

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi I’m more a researcher than a hunter got hurt a few years back so don’t get out much . But I do a bunch of research I do all kinds of research. From pirates to civil war to slave ships alway looking for someone to talk treasure about . I’m always on my iPad doing something looking forward to some good conversations . Thank you
Good deal!
Having members like you is very much a Plus...!
More the merrier - we need someone to point the way...!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Chris
Welcome to the forum! :icon_thumleft:
Good Luck!

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to a VERY FINE internet forum !! TREASURENET :)
The simplex is a great machine

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread