(Another) Newbie Half Dollar Question re : Marked Coins

blueberra

Oct 15, 2009
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just finished box #4 (near skunk : 1 40% silver) and noticed something new.

In the previous 3 boxes, I would occasionally see (maybe one or two per box) coins with a black mark, always on the obverse near the date which signified that someone marked it to test if the rejects would show up in future boxes and give some indication as to the to total population of halves at that particular coin service.

This box had a good 120 to 150 coins with said black marks. I did see a coin with 2 parallel black marks and, for good measure, a coin with a red mark as well. BTW, I get Loomis machine-rolled boxes.

So my questions are as follows ...

1. when people mark coins, do they do so on every coin in the box or pick a roll or two to mark?
  2. should I immediately seek out a different bank which uses a different coin service or just chack it up to the luck of the draw?

Upvote 0

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[*]when people mark coins, do they do so on every coin in the box or pick a roll or two to mark?
[*]should I immediately seek out a different bank which uses a different coin service or just chalk it up to the luck of the draw?

I would think they would do the entire box to get a better idea. Last month I saw many coins that had somes two initial stamped with a steel die. It ruins the coins (not that they are worth more than 50¢ anyway) But think of all the work needed to do that.

Most likely if someone does this they also get from other banks too and mark all coins. You just have to put up with it. But, I know I have found 40% ers that were marked. Even if you see the copper stripe the top and bottom could be silver. Some hunters simply look for the copper band.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Blueberra: doesn't mean that just because you see several marked coins that they all came from the same DUMP. You have to remember that they were mixed with several thousands of possible UNSEARCHED coins at the processing center.

OP
OP
B

blueberra

Oct 15, 2009
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Blueberra: doesn't mean that just because you see several marked coins that they all came from the same DUMP. You have to remember that they were mixed with several thousands of possible UNSEARCHED coins at the processing center.

Several I can deal with -- this was 6 to 7 percent of the coins all marked in the same way.

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
Someone here in Az i think has numbered his coins with a paint pencil and I got boxes with his numbers written on the coins. He seemed to have started with #1 and I have seen his number as high as 1,211. Have no idea why, nor how many he tagged. This has been going on for months. I just put them back into a roll and pass them on.

Coincrazed

Aug 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Whenever I get Halves I mark at least a few with my handle. Also, any and all NIFC I find I mark on both sides. I do it more as a territorial thing more than to see if I get mine back. Also, when I come across other marked coins, I cross out the markings, write my handle, and put an arrow pointing to it.

Bad Karma

Dec 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone here in Az i think has numbered his coins with a paint pencil and I got boxes with his numbers written on the coins. He seemed to have started with #1 and I have seen his number as high as 1,211. Have no idea why, nor how many he tagged. This has been going on for months. I just put them back into a roll and pass them on.

Can you post a picture of one of the marked coins?

Thank you.

bertmaster2000

Dec 19, 2013
Northern US
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find many varieties of marks on the halves in boxes in my area. A few weeks ago at least 1,000 of the 2,000 halves I searched were painted with pink fingernail polish. I really didn’t like this, and hope this person soon stops searching. They had even painted an ‘87D, which I consider collectible...Not cool.

Coincrazed

Aug 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
I find many varieties of marks on the halves in boxes in my area. A few weeks ago at least 1,000 of the 2,000 halves I searched were painted with pink fingernail polish. I really didn’t like this, and hope this person soon stops searching. They had even painted an ‘87D, which I consider collectible...Not cool.

When finds get better and go back to normal and people stop violating etiquette with videos regarding the hobby, I’ll quit marking halves. Considering the poor etiquette of many in this hobby, marking coins is the lesser of many evils.

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a marked half about 5 years ago that said “I love t-net” lol

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just finished a Loomis box where on average about 2 coins per roll were heavily scratched with a sharp object on the obverse only. Hell of a way to permanently mark (deface) coins. I hope this idiot gets skunked enough to quit if he is a CRHer. As for coins marked with a permanent marker, I don’t like it one bit. A significant number of marked coins I have found have been coins that I wanted to keep either due to condition or low mintage (NIFCs). Yes, the markings can be removed with isopropyl alcohol, but it requires some rubbing to remove the more persistent markings, a no-no for collectible coins.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When finds get better and go back to normal and people stop violating etiquette with videos regarding the hobby, I’ll quit marking halves. Considering the poor etiquette of many in this hobby, marking coins is the lesser of many evils.

I think its funny that you think you have more of a right to CRH then any other person. CRH is a hobby and is meant to be enjoyed by anyone who enjoys the mundane task of searching through thousands of coins to find one keeper.

Coincrazed

Aug 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
I think its funny that you think you have more of a right to CRH then any other person. CRH is a hobby and is meant to be enjoyed by anyone who enjoys the mundane task of searching through thousands of coins to find one keeper.

Never said I have “more” of a right.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never said I have “more” of a right.

You might not have said those exact words, but you implied it. CRH is not some secret society that
you belong to. Whoever told you that you need to keep CRH a secret was wrong. Just look up CRH on youtube and you will see there are thousands of videos. It hasn't been a secret since the 1800's when people started hording Trimes for their silver content.

Coincrazed

Aug 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Just look up CRH on youtube and you will see there are thousands of videos.

My point exactly dude. Before YouTube skyrocketed in popularity and smartphones were commonplace, there were far less videos and discussions about it on the internet outside of Tnet. YouTube didn’t gain popularity until after 2009. It was a secret society of sorts as far as folks discussing finds with each other. You’re not gonna win an argument with me on this, so don’t start one. If you were hunting before 2010 you would know this. I’ve said it once, I’ll say it again, and I’ll keep saying it just like I have when I’ve gotten into it with Youtubers desperate for attention. I have nothing against other hunters. I do take it extremely personally, however, when those other hunters carelessly increase the population and introduce new people through their desire and greed for not only finds, but attention, recognition, and their little 15 minutes of fame. It is plain foolish and also inconsiderate toward fellow hunters already in the hobby to educate oblivious people about a hobby that relies on the ignorance of others to personally gain. You’re not only hurting yourself, but others.

Last edited:

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No kidding there were far less videos about it. But there wasn't less people who collected coins and knew about CRH. Even before youtube there were knuckle heads who dumped where they picked up and ruined things. Guess what though, you are far better off buying silver coins then CRH them. Nobody gets rich off CRH. If you got a job at McDonalds you would make more money then you would CRH. You sound like a crazy old man yelling at people for making silly videos that barely 100 people watch.

Coincrazed

Aug 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
No kidding there were far less videos about it. But there wasn't less people who collected coins and knew about CRH. Even before youtube there were knuckle heads who dumped where they picked up and ruined things. Guess what though, you are far better off buying silver coins then CRH them. Nobody gets rich off CRH. If you got a job at McDonalds you would make more money then you would CRH. You sound like a crazy old man yelling at people for making silly videos that barely 100 people watch.
I never once said that one can get rich off CRH. Go to YouTube and look at views. The popular videos have a hell of a lot more than 100 views. Whatever dude..... if you don’t like what I say you don’t have to reply to me. Peace and happy hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread