jnicholes

Mar 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
734FC229-1EBC-4045-9E40-3650DDFCDD64.jpeg

D6E67F42-88BF-4C58-A534-0FC1255A40E4.jpeg

F26455EF-DC5C-43C0-8092-093D5DC62E83.jpeg

image.jpg

Once again, I was going though my grandparents stuff, and I found this. Not sure what type of gun it is. It’s semi automatic, though.

I also found ammo that fits it.

I verified it is safe to use, and in working condition, so I took it to the range. This thing is accurate to about 200 yards!

I don’t know what type of gun this is, but I will try to find out.

My grandfather says it’s an M1 carbine, but he has dementia, so I don’t know if that’s accurate.

Jared

Upvote 27

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was wondering if you might want to sell it . But Idaho is a long ways to drive thanks. Do you know where Murray or Prichard Id are ? I used to hunt out near there

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the real early 1900's A dredge went through near there . I wanted to detect the tailings pile but the store owner in Prichard warned me that out there people shoot and the people that are shot are never found

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 2049874

The gun has a peep sight. This was today.

150 yards, 14 shots, 14 hits. Each hit is marked with a black marker. Some are very close together.

This thing is ACCURATE!
That older gentlman I mentioned in my earlier post was a sniper and that was what he used his rifle for.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There actually was
If he said he was a sniper with a M-1 carbine 30 caliber rifle, I call BS.
30 Caliber round is a light round to light for a sniper.
There actually was a sniper version of the M1 Carbine. If I remember right,it was developed in the 50s and used a new for the time really clumsy infra red projector and scope for night vision. It wasn,t very successful and I don,t remember if it was used in Korea. Why it was called a sniper rifle I don,t know,but there it is.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are a lucky guy. Search Rockola M1 carbine. There is a ton of information on the net. Your rifle looks to be in great shape. It's definitely worth a few bucks, so make sure you clean it and oil it after use. I'm not well versed on the carbine, but I know some surplus ammunition used corrosive primers.
You can look it up to be sure,but I believe the M1 carbine 30 cal. ammo never used corrosive primers.

Grunter

Tenderfoot
Nov 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 2049706

View attachment 2049708

View attachment 2049707

View attachment 2049713

Once again, I was going though my grandparents stuff, and I found this. Not sure what type of gun it is. It’s semi automatic, though.

I verified it is safe to use, and in working condition, so I took it to the range. This thing is accurate to about 200 yards!

My grandfather says it’s an M1 carbine, but he has dementia, so I don’t know if that’s accurate.

Jared
Thats a great carbine and worth some money. You do not have to get the police involved it's a legacy from your grandfather. Do not interfere with the serial numbers as one poster recommended that would make it illegal. It is perfectly legal to own so oil it well clean it and keep it for your children. It will only appreciate in value.

OP
OP
J

jnicholes

Mar 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a great carbine and worth some money. You do not have to get the police involved it's a legacy from your grandfather. Do not interfere with the serial numbers as one poster recommended that would make it illegal. It is perfectly legal to own so oil it well clean it and keep it for your children. It will only appreciate in value.

Well, that’s good to know. Thank you.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If he said he was a sniper with a M-1 carbine 30 caliber rifle, I call BS.
30 Caliber round is a light round to light for a sniper.
Well he is dead now, so I guess I can't call him a liar.

detectorcowboy

Nov 30, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800, & Fisher CZ3D
Well he is dead now, so I guess I can't call him a liar.
Back in the day the Marine Corps sniper rifle was a Remington 700 caliber 308 with a
specially built scope just for the Marine Corps sniper rifle.
The man who built the scope only made them for the Marine Corps sniper rifle (Remington 700)

Last edited:

detectorcowboy

Nov 30, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800, & Fisher CZ3D
There actually was

There actually was a sniper version of the M1 Carbine. If I remember right,it was developed in the 50s and used a new for the time really clumsy infra red projector and scope for night vision. It wasn,t very successful and I don,t remember if it was used in Korea. Why it was called a sniper rifle I don,t know,but there it is.
And that M-1 was shooting a 30-06 round not a 30-caliber round.
the 30 caliber round always reminded me of an oversized 22

Joeyboots

Jan 22, 2012
New York, NY
Detector(s) used
Fisher Pulse 8X/Garrett Gold Stinger/Tesoro Sand Shark/Tiger Shark/Falcon MD 20, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 2049706

View attachment 2049708

View attachment 2049707

View attachment 2049713

Jared
Yup M1 Carbine .30cal. I had one of these myself. Carbines were scaled down for units like Airborne. Had to jump with something small but had firepower. Mine was from National Ordinance. The condition is fantastic. There should be an oiler in the original canvass sling. Its a nice shooting weapon but too underpowered for deer and ammo too expensive to target shoot or plink. Watch your state regulations as those had 30 round banana magazines which may be illegal. They also had 15 and you can get 5 round mags. Great WW2 historic Weapon. It also take the M1 Garand Bayonet I think.

xindaris

Tenderfoot
Apr 16, 2019
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Nokta CORE and Garret
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I can tell from the pictures and depending who the manufacturer was the rifle is worth between $1000 to $1700. The M1 carbine was made in a folding stock paratrooper model, an M2 version which was fully automatic, the version you have and a version with an infra red night sight.

OP
OP
J

jnicholes

Mar 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup M1 Carbine .30cal. I had one of these myself. Carbines were scaled down for units like Airborne. Had to jump with something small but had firepower. Mine was from National Ordinance. The condition is fantastic. There should be an oiler in the original canvass sling. Its a nice shooting weapon but too underpowered for deer and ammo too expensive to target shoot or plink. Watch your state regulations as those had 30 round banana magazines which may be illegal. They also had 15 and you can get 5 round mags. Great WW2 historic Weapon. It also take the M1 Garand Bayonet I think.

Let me take a look at my state regs. I’m not entirely sure myself.

I’m in Idaho, by the way.

You are right about the ammunition. It’s hard to come by. I have three boxes left, each containing 50 rounds. They were with the gun when I found it.

I think from now on, I’ll only take it out on special occasions.

marky777

Jun 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 2049706

View attachment 2049708

View attachment 2049707

View attachment 2049713

Jared
Looks like from the serial # that was produced between 11/43 and 3/44 fyi.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread