✅ SOLVED Another possible rare button?

ChasDigging

Mar 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was also found digging in the front yard in Charleston. We cleaned it up with some naval jelly. It's a flat button with what appears to be a version of the presidential seal on it. The top banner says 'E Pluribus Unum' and the back says 'Gilt'. How old is this, and who would've worn it?

Thanks!
photo (3).jpg photo (2).jpg

(Sorry for the double post- Still figuring out where to put things)

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That button is extremely rare, but it isn't a Military button. It is a very-early-1800s US Government "Official and Diplomatic Service" button. However, some wound up getting worn by soldiers. See info in the Albert button book on page 295, and the photo of button OD-2B on the next page. It dates from approximately 1800 to 1820.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

ChasDigging

Mar 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow- I can't believe we found that a yard away from our front door!

Upvote 0

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow- I can't believe we found that a yard away from our front door!

I don't know what you're plans are for tomorrow but if I were you I would call out of work or school,etc and get your detector and hit that front yard like Scooby Doo on a ghost.

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Unlike most folks, you asked about its rarity but not its dollar-value. Button-book author Alphaeus Albert rated its value at $50 -- back in the 1960s. I should mention in particular that Mr. Albert used the best-condition specimen he knew about for his book's photos -- and yours is in better condition than the one shown in his book. I'm sure some collectors of Early-American buttons would be interested in your find. I suggest you contact my longtime and much-trusted friend William Leigh about it, at civilwarbuttons.com.

Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you sell it, take a much clearer picture with the button right side up. It looks to be in fantastic shape, but a blurry image does not help get the highest price. I have no idea what it's worth, but patience is the name of the game, and do remember a lot of the higher end buyers are also dealers so if you sell to them, there's a very good possibility your button will be resold for more. That's why you take your time and see if you can cut out the middle man.... and I know, because I'm a middle man!

PS: Never price it yourself, just take offers. If they are not willing to offer, move on and see who will, then you have a starting point. Jeesh, did I just sell out dealers everywhere? lol

Upvote 0

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you sell it, take a much clearer picture with the button right side up. It looks to be in fantastic shape, but a blurry image does not help get the highest price. I have no idea what it's worth, but patience is the name of the game, and do remember a lot of the higher end buyers are also dealers so if you sell to them, there's a very good possibility your button will be resold for more. That's why you take your time and see if you can cut out the middle man.... and I know, because I'm a middle man!

PS: Never price it yourself, just take offers. If they are not willing to offer, move on and see who will, then you have a starting point. Jeesh, did I just sell out dealers everywhere? lol
If dealers made better offers you would'nt have to...ok they are out to make as much as they can, but how many times do they miss out because there offer was to low. better for them to take a 15% cut and point the sellers in the best direction, they would get further offers in the future, at least of me anyway.

Great find on the Button :icon_thumright: like IP says take your time, and don't be in a hurry to sell.

SS

Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If dealers made better offers you would'nt have to...ok they are out to make as much as they can, but how many times do they miss out because there offer was to low. better for them to take a 15% cut and point the sellers in the best direction, they would get further offers in the future, at least of me anyway.

Great find on the Button :icon_thumright: like IP says take your time, and don't be in a hurry to sell.

SS

I've encountered all types.... the highest offer right off the top, fair market ones, and super low ball. At the end of the day it's all about the buyer getting educated about the find and doing the work to get the most they can. If it's a $500 button to some, but he gets offered $150 and takes it, that's on the seller and the buyer did nothing wrong. The subject of dealers offering very low often comes up and I always say the same thing.... those that do tend to weed themselves out, and are fools because it's better to make, say, 20% on many many thousands or dollars of items, than get a bad reputation and get much less business. But make no mistake, if you put a hanging curve ball out there no matter who the buyer is, they're going to hit it, and won't have any qualms about under-paying. That's why as a seller if you don't know what you have you never offer a price.

Upvote 0

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've encountered all types.... the highest offer right off the top, fair market ones, and super low ball. At the end of the day it's all about the buyer getting educated about the find and doing the work to get the most they can. If it's a $500 button to some, but he gets offered $150 and takes it, that's on the seller and the buyer did nothing wrong. The subject of dealers offering very low often comes up and I always say the same thing.... those that do tend to weed themselves out, and are fools because it's better to make, say, 20% on many many thousands or dollars of items, than get a bad reputation and get much less business. But make no mistake, if you put a hanging curve ball out there no matter who the buyer is, they're going to hit it, and won't have any qualms about under-paying. That's why as a seller if you don't know what you have you never offer a price.
It's back fired big time on to big dealers my way, they ripped people of for years, and now struggle and have to pay top dollar...good days gone through greed.

SS

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

ChasDigging

Mar 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow- you all are amazing (for responses both here and my other posts).
Right now, we're not thinking of selling... but I have gotten pretty curious. What do you all think this would be worth? Should I be calling my insurance company? :)

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Chas, because it is not a Military button, AND it is waaay pre-civil-war (1800-1820) , it is not listed in the Civil War relics Price Guide. The only way to accurately estimate its retail (not wholesale) value is to find examples for sale at major dealers of historical-buttons websites. I recommended my trusted friend William Leigh's site in a previous reply. He lists two later (1840s-50s) versions of US Gov't "Official & Diplomatic Service" buttons, OD-20 and OD-33, in the $400 range. But they are in "like new" non-excavated condition, and yours is a dug one. That difference in condition can be VERY important about dollar-value. Still, I think that because yours (OD-2-B) is much earlier and rarer, its retail value should be at least in that same range, or close to it.

To see the OD-20 and OD-33 non-excavated buttons, go here and scroll about 30% down the list.
William Leigh: Union Central Government Buttons

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow- you all are amazing (for responses both here and my other posts).
Right now, we're not thinking of selling... but I have gotten pretty curious. What do you all think this would be worth? Should I be calling my insurance company? :)

If only very rare buttons had the same value as very rare coins. Some CW, GW, and the odd Rev War sell well into the thousands, but so many others you're really quite lucky to be talking hundreds. So I'd say you can get that extra insurance..... but only if you live in a cardboard box. :laughing7:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread