Another religious medal

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Got out today! Yeah! To my surprize, there were two other guys hunting, one with a Whites and one with an explorer in the nearby much hunted park. Found this medal and it is inscribed with both a name and a date so if it is local it should be simple to get it back to whoever lost it.
Not sure what kind or denomination it is though. Could this be from a christening or baptism or confirmation?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Lowbatts

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Here's a picture of the medal:

beetle662

Bronze Member
Jul 25, 2003
Independence, KY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+
I would guess that it is a Baptismal charm. Very nice find. Looks pretty clean... is it fairly new?
A you in the are of a church?

Happy Hunting!

OP
OP
Lowbatts

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Well we have forty or fifty churches in Elgin. The date on the back is from April this year. Some young soul found salvation but lost the reciept.... Don't know what denominations or just how many use this type so it'll take some checking!

Found a '36 merc today and a whatchamacallit TBD.

beetle662

Bronze Member
Jul 25, 2003
Independence, KY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+
LOL! Lowbatts, you are never one to let a good comment get by! AFter I looked at your picture a little closer, it almost looks like this was attached to a ribbon or something, instead of on a necklace. I would say to that is for a Christian faith. The Holy Spirit is commonly associated with Confirmation for Catholics, but the Baptismal font, Guardian Angel, and baby are what lead me to believe it is for someone's baptism. I would check with the local Catholic churches... all of this information is kept on file. See if you get a match on the init's. The date could either be a birthdate or baptismal date.

I hope I didn't lose my receipt to salvation!

beetle662

OP
OP
Lowbatts

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Thanks Beetle! I was wondering mostly because it does appear to be a baptism depicted as opposed to the usual Saint So-n-so. Maybe if I spent more Sunday mornings with the head bowed in prayer instead of search I could tell the difference....

beetle662

Bronze Member
Jul 25, 2003
Independence, KY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+
I'm sure your head is bowed while you are out detecting... although maybe night for the same reasons!!!

But seriously, church sites are pretty interesting. I'm going to be hitting one this late winter early spring that is over 150 years old. The cool thing about it is that there is about a four foot crawl space that is accessible below the wooden floor of the church. A bit cramped, but the possibilities are worth the effort. I'll keep you posted on that.

Check out my posting from July when I went to another church site. I posted a few pictures of a locket charm that I found... and still have. I love the church sites!

Beetle

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread