Another slow day but at least I was still able to score a 1773 Virginia halfpenny

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Dan and I had high hopes as we headed out early Sat afternoon as we liked our chances for getting a couple of new permissions, one of which is at a very promising and early site. But in both cases our door knocking went unanswered so we had no choice but to return to one of our pounded sites. But this place is huge and we always hope that by walking new ground we might stumble across a little hotspot or at least a nice random find. And that was pretty much what happened as although my recoveries were on the paltry side, I was at least about to get my coil over another Va halfpenny, and I bet that makes a dozen we've found here. As usual, it wasn't in great shape, but this time the issue was more with the wear than with ground corrosion. We hope to try getting into those other sites again soon, but with a big storm looming for the end of this week our next outing might be delayed a bit.

Attachments

• 011616a.jpg
    011616a.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 225
Upvote 16

goldbmine

Nov 13, 2015
North Ga.
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Enjoy the early history your recovering Bill. Wish there was more here in my area. Early mtn living here was very poor. Finding IH in the late 1880's to 90's and you have made a great find. I see that storm coming and could be a real whopper depending on its track. Congrats on the wonderful finds!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I am with Tennessee Digger, that's would be a good day in my book. Colonial state coinage has yet to grace my finds pouch.

Well played Bill!

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
That's starting to look more like one of my hunts on a good day. Sorry your sites aren't producing more but it just shows that it doesn't always come easy, even for a professional like yourself : )

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Slow is better than snow!
Nice find! Congrats!

CTwoods

Dec 9, 2015
east central Connecticut
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I can't decide what is my pick in that pile of goodies...the spirographed design button, or the brass handle escutcheon, or even the small bits of fancy ornated shoe/knee buckles.

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How many VA Halfpenny's is that total for you? You need to change your license plate now, haha.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice to be in a spot with such old stuff. Good finds, and hopefully next time you knock the people will be home and you get a big fat YES.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
How many VA Halfpenny's is that total for you? You need to change your license plate now, haha.

I tried to take a count last fall but had a hard time locating them since they're spread out all over the place, plus some are practically illegible. But best I can tell the count is in the 45-50 range.

If I change my plate to "HLFPNNY" then I'll never find another. But then maybe I'll start finding cut pieces again :laughing7:.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like you came through again, digging some history and that state copper. :thumbsup:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow great find Bill. I know you find a lot of Virginia half pennies but that's a bucket list coin for me. Thanks for posting and as always, I'm jealous after reading your post. Stay warm!

Steve

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find! Glad it turned out good! Congrats

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know it seems as if nothing is falling into ace right now buddy but you know how this works. Sometime soon you will have your pick of great sites. I too have a Va halfpenny....oh wait you gave that to me lol. At least with the finds shown you are in a spot that could give up a great early find at any point. You'll be killing it again in no time bud

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
I have never heard of anyone else finding as many VA half pennys as you have found Bill. Although the finds were few and far between you still managed a good coin. Hope the weather starts to clear and you can add some more Spanish silver to your pile.

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice little mixture there Billy boy:icon_thumleft:

Sites around here are getting slim but that keeping people from detecting so i will be sucking up all that is left:laughing7:

~Blaze~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions