KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought I would share another version of the journal. This is from The Kentucky Explorer June 1986 issue. This one sites Rebecca TImmins who is the oldest documented Swift Mine Searcher. She claimed to have the original journal and map back in the 1860s. Some interesting differences to this one than what you would find in more common published books. Anyway, its been quiet on here and thought I would share some research. Everyone that knows me knows that I am interested in the historical truths of the legend more so than any dreams of getting rich with silver.

Swift1.jpg

Last edited:

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Didn’t Sevenfeathers777 say that they already found the mine?

OP
OP
KY Hiker

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
KY Hiker

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Below is a link to an online copy of M.P. Henson's published version of the Swift Journal. In my opinion this is most likely altered as it differs from Mrs. Timmins' published version from the 1800's. The further back in time you find journals, the less likely or fewer the alterations of the journal would occur. In the Henson version of the journal Swift claims he buried prizes valued in dollars. The dollar was not a form of currency until 1775!

Last edited:
OP
OP
KY Hiker

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To make a note of interest, if you read a journal and it mentions thickets of myrtle instead of laurel you are reading an altered version. Myrtle is not a native plant in North America. I believe there are layers of alterations done to journals as they were passed on (sold) to the next generation, repeatedly.
Henson's published journal IMO is a combination of several versions available to him at that time in the early 1970s. I would suppose that some of those versions were in the hands of his uncle who worked for USFS in the Red River Gorge region in the 1950s and 60s. As per Ed Henson, his father would help Swift hunters find various landmarks in that area. How times have changed, you would be hard pressed to get any information from any USFS employee in that area today. Most probably don't even know of the legend, or are trained to act as if they don't. Metal detecting, digging and even cutting live plants and trees is prohibited in the Red River Gorge with heavy fines enforced.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions