137.1 KB · Views: 120
Upvote 17

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another good token. It’s for the J.T. Parrish department store, established in 1879 at 10 Oswald Terrace, Newcastle and then at 116 Shields Road from 1881 until it closed in 1984.

Parrish.jpg

The store was in a working class area and offered customers with a limited budget the opportunity to buy goods on credit. You took out a ticket from an agent in multiples of £1 and were charged interest at a shilling per pound on what was effectively ‘borrowed money’. The ticket was then exchangeable at the store for tokens in various denominations that could only be used to pay for goods at a named store. An agent might have several on his books and Parrish wasn’t the only one offering this deal).

As you probably know, for the sixpence, by 1921 we had moved our ‘silver’ coins from .925 fine to .500 fine.

OP
OP
Kieran225

Kieran225

Mar 6, 2021
Newcastle-upon-tyne
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish 440
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another good token. It’s for the J.T. Parrish department store, established in 1879 at 10 Oswald Terrace, Newcastle and then at 116 Shields Road from 1881 until it closed in 1984.

View attachment 2011190

The store was in a working class area and offered customers with a limited budget the opportunity to buy goods on credit. You took out a ticket from an agent in multiples of £1 and were charged interest at a shilling per pound on what was effectively ‘borrowed money’. The ticket was then exchangeable at the store for tokens in various denominations that could only be used to pay for goods at a named store. An agent might have several on his books and Parrish wasn’t the only one offering this deal).

As you probably know, for the sixpence, by 1921 we had moved our ‘silver’ coins from .925 fine to .500 fine.
Really I'm really blown away with all the history that's on these tokens I've been finding it's so interesting 😊 would that be around victorian time?

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your glass bead looks like it might be from a beaded curtain (a 1960's type thing) or a chandelier.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really I'm really blown away with all the history that's on these tokens I've been finding it's so interesting 😊 would that be around victorian time?

Yes, one of the reasons I love tokens too.

Yours looks to be a halfpenny like this one:

Parrish 2.jpg

Not easy to date these, but I would think late 1800s. They were however still running the scheme until at least the 1920s. There are a wide range of denominations and I've seen them up to ten shillings. There are some examples made from aluminium and also from compressed fibre (wartime period?) rather than metal.

OP
OP
Kieran225

Kieran225

Mar 6, 2021
Newcastle-upon-tyne
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish 440
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 2011262

Not easy to date these, but I would think late 1800s. They were however still running the scheme until at least the 1920s. There are a wide range of denominations and I've seen them up to ten shillings. There are some examples made from aluminium and also from compressed fibre (wartime period?) rather than metal.
Im hoping I find some more been so lucky with this new permission I've managed to get as I'm the first one to dig on it, it's so interesting

OP
OP
Kieran225

Kieran225

Mar 6, 2021
Newcastle-upon-tyne
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish 440
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 2011262

Wow that's great to know thank you for all that information really happy with that

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm a newbie to metal detecting so I'm really happy with what I've found so far thank you very much 😊

Well mate, you caught the attention of Red-Coat with your token find, that in itself is an achievement. :thumbsup:
Lots of detecting experience here to offer you help when you have questions, so don't hesitate to ask.

My mother-in-law lives in Stratford-Upon-Avon, I was last there in 1996, sure wish I'd brought my detector. :laughing7:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im hoping I find some more been so lucky with this new permission I've managed to get as I'm the first one to dig on it, it's so interesting
I agree Tokens are an interesting piece of social History. I work with a book writer on the 17th C Tokens I've been finding & have helped re-write their understanding of a few mistakes made by the rarer ones.
Very cool to pin a person, to a place & date & profession & help prove it via family research.

Congrats on a silver which is always a good day, we had none yesterday.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kieran225

Kieran225

Mar 6, 2021
Newcastle-upon-tyne
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish 440
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree Tokens are an interesting piece of social History. I would with a book writer on the 17th C Tokens I've been finding & have helped re-write their understanding of a few mistakes made by the rarer ones.
Very cool to pin a person, to a place & date & profession & help prove it via family research.

Congrats on a silver which is always a good day, we had none yesterday.
Thanks Crusader it's appreciated 😁 aww never well that was the only silver coin I've found in a long time, you find some pretty cool stuff Id love to find what you find, I really would love to find a hammered coin as I've never seen one in person.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Crusader it's appreciated 😁 aww never well that was the only silver coin I've found in a long time, you find some pretty cool stuff Id love to find what you find, I really would love to find a hammered coin as I've never seen one in person.
Hammered coins are pretty hard to target. We target Iron Age/Roman Sites using Google earth. Medieval cropmarks are mostly reduced to ploughed out Ridge & Furrow which might get you some coins but a market would be better. However, most Medieval Markets are under the town or city developments.
I'm not sure where you are on your permission journey but one thing you can try is any ploughed field in sight of a Medieval Church. The closer the better. If you GRID a large enough area it will happen. The sort of signs we look for in what we call Hammered Country is;
Spec Buckles(mostly Tudor) & Medieval Buckles
Jettons
17th C Tokens
Older Lead Tokens
Tudor Clothes Fasteners
Medieval Pot Shards
& like most good areas, dark soil, nails & Lead pieces (including pot mends)

OP
OP
Kieran225

Kieran225

Mar 6, 2021
Newcastle-upon-tyne
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish 440
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well mate, you caught the attention of Red-Coat with your token find, that in itself is an achievement. :thumbsup:
Lots of detecting experience here to offer you help when you have questions, so don't hesitate to ask.

My mother-in-law lives in Stratford-Upon-Avon, I was last there in 1996, sure wish I'd brought my detector. :laughing7:
I know I feel very privileged to someone commenting with such knowledge, thanks mate its appreciated 😊 next time your up definitely bring your detector 😊

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread