Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Merf asked:
> I thought that too but I am wondering when and where they were made.

Your link from a Ladies Patriotic Sash-Belt was made sometime between the 1880s and (approximately) the 1920s. They seem to have been made and sold to "patriotic" wives and daughters of yankee civil war veterans, probably for wearing at Veterans-Organization meetings and annual conventions. There are several variations. One shows only US Army Enlisted-men's eagle-button fronts. Others show a mix of the front of various State Seal buttons, US Army buttons, and US Navy buttons. Southern-state buttons are almost never included... which is why I said "made for yankee women's use" above. See the photos below.

BTW, the time dating I gave is based on some of the button-fronts being a version of State Seal which was not used on buttons until the late-1870s and 1880s. (For example, Illinois State Seal buttons did not exist until long after the end of the civil war.)

Attachments

• ladies-patriotic-belt_1880s-1910s_state-seals-and-eagles-and-Navy_intact_TN_postedbyBigypressh...jpg
    ladies-patriotic-belt_1880s-1910s_state-seals-and-eagles-and-Navy_intact_TN_postedbyBigypressh...jpg
    31 KB · Views: 16
  • ladies-patriotic-belt_1880s-1910s_state-seals-Navy-and-eagles_frontview_left-end_ebay_IMG_5702.jpg
    ladies-patriotic-belt_1880s-1910s_state-seals-Navy-and-eagles_frontview_left-end_ebay_IMG_5702.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 21
  • ladies-patriotic-belt_1880s-1910s_state-seals-Navy-and-eagles_frontview_right-end_ebay_IMG_5701.jpg
    ladies-patriotic-belt_1880s-1910s_state-seals-Navy-and-eagles_frontview_right-end_ebay_IMG_5701.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 17
  • ladies-patriotic-belt_FGC&S-Musician-Navy-Marines-Ohio_TN_photobySpiperato_GEDC0834-1.jpg
    ladies-patriotic-belt_FGC&S-Musician-Navy-Marines-Ohio_TN_photobySpiperato_GEDC0834-1.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 18
  • Ladies-Patriotic-Belt_triangular-links_Northern-states-&-Navy_TN_postedbyCCHunter.jpg
    Ladies-Patriotic-Belt_triangular-links_Northern-states-&-Navy_TN_postedbyCCHunter.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Upvote 4
OP
OP
Merf

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Merf asked:
> I thought that too but I am wondering when and where they were made.

Your link from a Ladies Patriotic Sash-Belt was made sometime between the 1880s and (approximately) the 1920s. They seem to have been made and sold to "patriotic" wives and daughters of yankee civil war veterans, probably for wearing at Veterans-Organization meetings and annual conventions. There are several variations. One shows only US Army Enlisted-men's eagle-button fronts. Others show a mix of the front of various State Seal buttons, US Army buttons, and US Navy buttons. Southern-state buttons are almost never included... which is why I said "made for yankee women's use" above. See the photos below.

BTW, the time dating I gave is based on some of the button-fronts being a version of State Seal which was not used on buttons until the late-1870s and 1880s. (For example, Illinois State Seal buttons did not exist until long after the end of the civil war.)
Thanks cannonball, much appreciated.

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread