Another William IV and an early US Navy button...

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My favorite field was harvested today! Last spring some of my best finds at the locations were a hard times token, a couple largies, and a navy button like today's (but not in as good condition), as well as a number of buttons and musketballs. Today was my first field hunt of the season and it didn't disappoint! I spent about two hours there and here's what I found:
IMG_3449.JPG
I know it's not a lot, but I'm satisfied.

IMG_3445.jpg IMG_3446.jpg
I initially thought it was a KGIII because of the right facing bust but I quickly realized my mistake. The date on it is 1831.

IMG_3447.jpg
Here's the Navy button, I found an identical one last semester and the consensus here on TNet was that it was late 1820s. The backmark is pretty sharp and says RICH COLOR, I just realized my photo of it was fuzzy but I don't have enough light to take another one. I'll try and get another tomorrow.

IMG_3441.JPG
I cut my finger in two places on an aluminum can and had to go back to the car to stop the bleeding, I decided to check out a few other sites after that. The first one no one answered the door but I got the go ahead at the second... unfortunately I must have made a mistake in my mapping because there wasn't even a nail to find. I think the LO felt sorry for me and said I could detect around the house (which dated from the 1870s I think), I stayed there for about an hour and a half but all I found was a pump organ reed and an axe head. Alright I guess but not as good as the first site! I gave the axe back to the owner as her family had been on the property since a little after 1810!

Good luck and HH! I'm sure you guys will be seeing more of my posts in the future as many of my permissions have just been harvested! I know it's only a matter of time before I get a Spanish or other old silver!

Upvote 17

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

terrafirma

Sep 9, 2020
new england
Detector(s) used
SE PRO, Safari, Excalibur II, Garrett gold scorpion, Whites PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great navy button!

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Excellent finds- that navy button is sweet- Congrats!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a great spot from the finds you have mentioned I love that coin looks ancient . Awesome job

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great button!... you are so fortunate to find another one, plus nice other finds too!

OP
OP
Noah_D

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks guys! I'm always happy to find an old copper or military button and I'll hopefully be doing some more digging this week... got a few more sites to check in on. HH.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread