Antique Button "Superior Quality"

T

tcfx17

Antique Button "Superior Quality"

Hi all:

New to this forum and have been searching property that was the site of an old amusement park. This morning, after a heavy rain, I found an old button with the following characteristics:

1) Approximately 3/4" in diameter
2) Metallic and silver in color
3) Has a centered loop on the back
4) Has the words "Superior Quality" oriented in a ring around the circumference on the back
5) On the front has a "gothic" type font large letter "P" framed by circular "laurel" type leaves (like a seal)
6) Has fine, raised horizontal lines in the background behind the "P" and "laurels"
7) Has a raised lip around the button

I found the following text in a web search:

""Superior Quality" was a backmark used by the Waterbury Button Company, between 1875-1935 and/or the Steele & Johnson company when they were inherited by the Waterbury Companies."

I also found the following on eBay. My button does not really look like this image. The "P" on mine is more ornate and "gothic", my button is silver and smaller and has laurels and a raised lip. But it seems conceivable that this eBay item is related or is from the same manufacturer.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=66534&item=6114284020&rd=1

Any thoughts on what this button may have been on, what the "P" stands for and what the date of manufacture could be?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

tcfx17

OP
OP
T

tcfx17

Re: Antique Button "Superior Quality"

Bingo! That's the one. Much appreciated.

tcfx17

Upvote 0
T

tamick1

Re: Antique Button "Superior Quality"

HI,
I DUG UP ONE JUST LIKE YOURS IN MY BACKYARD. I BELIEVE IT IS POLICE BUTTON FROM THE CIVIL WAR PERIOD OR SHORTLY AFTER. I LIVE IN A OLD AREA WHERE CONFEDERATE TROOPS WERE CAMPED. I HAVE DUG UP BULLETS, MUSKET BALLS AND ALL KINDS OF BUTTONS, INCLUDING COIN BUTTON AND CONFEDERATE INFANTRY BUTTON (OLD ENGLISH) AND LOTS OF CAMP ITEMS. SO, I AM ASSUMING THE POLICE BUTTON IS FROM THE SAME PERIOD. HOPE THIS HELPS YOU.....TAMICK1

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread