🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Antique iron trigger guard. How old and what type of gun did it go to?

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detecting deep in the woods today and found what I believe to be an iron trigger guard for a rifle. It measures around 8" long. Kind of bent and probably missing some of it, but I'd love to know how old it is and what type of gun it went to. I found a 1700's trade ax in the area, but it may not be that old. Any help would be appreciated.

trigger guard rock.JPG

2EF6EA6A-72D8-4511-ABB0-56A74CFC0CEA.jpeg

Last edited:

Nathan6309

May 15, 2018
Botetourt County, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350, Macro Siplex +
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a humongous shot in the dark, but it almost reminds me of a lever action to an older repeating rifle. This is a long shot, though, considering that most of the levers weren't made in iron and I haven seen the width of the piece.
HenryRepeatingArms_SeriesH001_schem.jpg

Part # 14 is what I was looking at.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nathan, I did think of that when I first dug it out of the ground. When I was a kid, I used to watch a show called "The Rifleman" with Chuck Connors. He was always pumping away with his lever action rifle. It would be cool if it was from a rifle from the 1800's!

Upvote 4

Mud Hut

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is that all one piece, or is it two pieces butted together?

Upvote 0

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nathan, I did think of that when I first dug it out of the ground. When I was a kid, I used to watch a show called "The Rifleman" with Chuck Connors. He was always pumping away with his lever action rifle. It would be cool if it was from a rifle from the 1800's!
The Rifleman was a great show! Visions of my childhood! If I remember right he had a son in the series.

Upvote 2
OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is that all one piece, or is it two pieces butted together?

Yes, it's one piece. Checked the area for about an hour, but that was all I found there.

Reactions: Fat
Upvote 1
OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Rifleman was a great show! Visions of my childhood! If I remember right he had a son in the series.

I actually met Chuck Connors in the late 1980's at a sports card show. He was a big dude! Must have been at least 6'4" and over 200 lbs. when I saw him. Unfortunately, I didn't get his autograph because the line was way too long. He was very popular at that autograph signing.

Reactions: Fat
Upvote 1

Mud Hut

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally, I think it is way too thick and crude to be a trigger guard.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't sweat it, Mud Hut. Not that big of a deal. Based on where I found it, I'm assuming that it's a trigger guard. No cellar holes in the area and zero trash. The area is very rough terrain with many hills and valleys. It's also full of rocks and boulders left over from the Ice Age. The only people who have been in this spot over the years are probably hunters and metal detecting fools like myself!

Upvote 0

Mud Hut

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't sweat it, Mud Hut. Not that big of a deal. Based on where I found it, I'm assuming that it's a trigger guard. No cellar holes in the area and zero trash. The area is very rough terrain with many hills and valleys. It's also full of rocks and boulders left over from the Ice Age. The only people who have been in this spot over the years are probably hunters and metal detecting fools like myself!
Okay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, it definitely does look similar, but every photo I saw of one had a brass trigger guard. Could possibly have be made by a local gunsmith who copied the design of the Jaeger flintlock. Maybe he was cutting corners by making the guard iron instead of brass. Thanks for your input!

Upvote 0

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, it definitely does look similar, but every photo I saw of one had a brass trigger guard. Could possibly have be made by a local gunsmith who copied the design of the Jaeger flintlock. Maybe he was cutting corners by making the guard iron instead of brass. Thanks for your input!
There are a lot of old muskets and rifles with iron trigger guards, it was probably more an issue of availability of brass in a lot of cases I think, because some of the iron ones are really fancy. I found this pic of a Tennessee rifle with an iron guard and there are definitely no corners cut on this one
guard.jpg

Upvote 4

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread