GeoBill

Tenderfoot
Feb 26, 2021
California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign XS-2, Whites TDI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My TRX took a walkabout a few month back and I haven't yet gotten around to replacing it (wish Garrett would start making them). Was at a tot lot a few days ago and another detectorist was there and was using a Dr Otek pinpointer. If anyone here has used or seen one I have a few questions - not looking to buy but just curious.

The pinpointer caused a bit of crosstalk with my MXT. Any idea of the frequency or mode - is it a pulse as I have had similar problems with people using pulse pinpointers?

The other guy said it had adjustable detection depth, like others by multiple button pushes. It seemed to work pretty well as he was hitting coins at 3-4" on what he claimed was the max setting.

One thing I liked about the pinpointer was that it was vibration only, no annoying beeping and chatter. A silent mode will be part of my decision process when I finally decide to pick up a replacement for the TRX (come on Garrrett - give me a TRX)

Thanks, any feedback appreciated.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Haven't heard of it before..., but,
I'm using a Makro Pointer, which is around 14kHz (?)
with multiple levels of sensitivity, and vibration mode only, if you want - I use noise with vibration, in real noisy areas, tho....

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F2, ProPointer AT
Can?t help with the Dr. Otek but the carrot has vibration only too. I?ve never in it?s life used the beeps as I value invisibility.

Cuda74

Jan 9, 2021
North Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec II, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check out the videos on Youtube, there are a few that talk about the Dr. Otek. Deteknix is another one, and I think I remember that they have a submersible one as well.
I have the Chinese equivalent of the Garrett which seems to be working out fairly well although I've had to push the sensor down into the holder further (another Youtube video) and add a piece of folded paper into the battery cap to get that to work consistently. A better one will be my next purchase but not sure which one either.

Blewfur

Jan 12, 2021
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver
Nokta Makro Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My TRX took a walkabout a few month back and I haven't yet gotten around to replacing it (wish Garrett would start making them). Was at a tot lot a few days ago and another detectorist was there and was using a Dr Otek pinpointer. If anyone here has used or seen one I have a few questions - not looking to buy but just curious.

The pinpointer caused a bit of crosstalk with my MXT. Any idea of the frequency or mode - is it a pulse as I have had similar problems with people using pulse pinpointers?

The other guy said it had adjustable detection depth, like others by multiple button pushes. It seemed to work pretty well as he was hitting coins at 3-4" on what he claimed was the max setting.

One thing I liked about the pinpointer was that it was vibration only, no annoying beeping and chatter. A silent mode will be part of my decision process when I finally decide to pick up a replacement for the TRX (come on Garrrett - give me a TRX)

Thanks, any feedback appreciated.
I bought a Dr. Otek from Amazon. I like the silent feature. I am not sure mine is adjustable, but it has 4 colored leds to tell you depth. It serves my needs at the moment. No interference with my detector, but again, I’m a novice with the equipment to match my skill level. All in all, it is much better than the cheap Bounty Hunter pinpointer that came with my detector.

Last edited:

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had one for awhile. It seems fine. Just off and on is all mine has. I use it for diving. I hadn't used it all last winter and it would not vibrate recently but the lights worked. Took the 2 screws out and removed the circuit board until I could see the motor. I manually turned the motor shaft back and forth a few rotations with a q-tip and, in a few minutes, it started working again.
Jon 8-) :cat: :occasion14: :headbang:

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
if it can see a coin at 3-4 inches thats a good one ,what do they cost? is it a good company?

Neshannock Jim

Jun 5, 2022
if it can see a coin at 3-4 inches thats a good one ,what do they cost? is it a good company?
3-4 " is no problem for it.
I think I paid just north of $100 .
It's by GARRETT , never heard anything bad about them in the 30 years I've been swingin a coil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread