Any clue? Brass bronze oriental devil demon found at late 1700s trade site.

Anasazi

May 5, 2012
Ocean Park WA
Detector(s) used
Main detectors XP Deus 2, Equinox 800, CTX 3030, Anfibio multi, Tesoro Sand Shark

used in the past but not forgotten
Sov Elite
SE Pro
Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Teknetics Mark 1 LTD coin computer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Back down to the river with the Deus2 again in the black sand 18” deep this comes out! I have found several Chinese coins here that date to the late 1700s. The Indians here traded with the Chinese long before Lewis and Clark were on the scene. It looks oriental in design, no marks or writing inside like made in China or anything 😁 possibly an old good luck totem for a Captain's quarters?πŸ˜‚πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ Door knocker small however possible. 89-90 on Deus 2 Any help? Thanks. 02413B98-28AB-46CF-B064-87F1A18A084C.jpeg B49F7C4C-5A82-4322-B8B5-3662EF39CC1A.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 14

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back down to the river with the Deus2 again in the black sand 18” deep this comes out! I have found several Chinese coins here that date to the late 1700s. The Indians here traded with the Chinese long before Lewis and Clark were on the scene. It looks oriental in design, no marks or writing inside like made in China or anything 😁 possibly an old good luck totem for a Captain's quarters?πŸ˜‚πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ Door knocker small however possible. 89-90 on Deus 2 Any help? Thanks. View attachment 2018311 View attachment 2018312
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting that it has screw holes for mounting. I've seen wall mounted bottle openers (for crown caps) rather like that. Does a beer bottle cap fit into the mouth in a way that gives you leverage?

If that's what it is, it would have to be after 1892.

Try googling "devil mask bottle opener"

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting that it has screw holes for mounting. I've seen wall mounted bottle openers (for crown caps) rather like that. Does a beer bottle cap fit into the mouth in a way that gives you leverage?

If that's what it is, it would have to be after 1892.

Try googling "devil mask bottle opener"
Agreed, looks like a wall-mounted bottle opener, so it would be late 1890's at earliest (did they have wall-mounted openers at the same time the crown-top bottle was invented?), realistically if it is indeed a bottle opener it's probably early-mid 20th century. The whimsical nature of it makes me think 1920's. Very neat artifact that's for sure!

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed, looks like a wall-mounted bottle opener, so it would be late 1890's at earliest (did they have wall-mounted openers at the same time the crown-top bottle was invented?), realistically if it is indeed a bottle opener it's probably early-mid 20th century. The whimsical nature of it makes me think 1920's. Very neat artifact that's for sure!

Wall-mounted openers for crown cap closures first appeared in 1893, and novelty 'figural' ones probably began appearing in quantity around 1910. Wall-openers weren't really in mass commercial production until 1925 when Raymond Brown, the owner of a Coca-Cola bottling plant, began producing the patented "STARR X" opener.

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Back down to the river with the Deus2 again in the black sand 18” deep this comes out! I have found several Chinese coins here that date to the late 1700s. The Indians here traded with the Chinese long before Lewis and Clark were on the scene. It looks oriental in design, no marks or writing inside like made in China or anything 😁 possibly an old good luck totem for a Captain's quarters?πŸ˜‚πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ Door knocker small however possible. 89-90 on Deus 2 Any help? Thanks. View attachment 2018311 View attachment 2018312
very cool find no matter what it is, wtg. good luck on the ID

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wall-mounted openers for crown cap closures first appeared in 1893, and novelty 'figural' ones probably began appearing in quantity around 1910. Wall-openers weren't really in mass commercial production until 1925 when Raymond Brown, the owner of a Coca-Cola bottling plant, began producing the patented "STARR X" opener.
It's an interesting find & I couldn't put my finger on it at first, thinking it might be the top half of a door knocker.
Good ID.

Last edited:

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like it. Cool find! Congratulations! Thanks for posting such and interesting item.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread