F

feral-silence

Mar 25, 2019
Albany, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the reply. @GaRebel1861 said that's what he thought it looked like, as well. It just seems way to thin to have been used with suspenders. It's very fragile. As you can tell, it's already broken and that happened just picking it up. But, I agree, it's exactly what it looks like. Which is why the fragility of it threw me.

What would be the age on something like that?

Last edited:
Upvote 1

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Feral-silence, notice the short "pin" on each end of the toothed bar. Those pins fit into corresponding holes on the suspender-buckle's main body. (KInda like an old windowshade-roll had pins on each end which fit into the hangers at the top of the windowframe.) In the first photo below, you can see the holed flanges which the pins fit into.

Also, you can see a similar "toothed bar" with mounting pins on each end of it in the group-photo of suspenders buckles, first item (marked President) in the next-to-last row.

You asked about your find's age. The suspenders buckle whoe toothed bar is missing (first photo) is marked "Pat. March 7, 1871" -- so your find dates from that year onward into the early 1900s.

Attachments

• suspenders-buckle_Patented-1871-March-7_TN_photobyMike_In-Berks_IMG_6853_2.jpg
    suspenders-buckle_Patented-1871-March-7_TN_photobyMike_In-Berks_IMG_6853_2.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 14
  • suspenders-buckle_National-Susp-Co_GROUP_PIC_TN_photobyPistol-Pete_Sus. Clips.jpg
    suspenders-buckle_National-Susp-Co_GROUP_PIC_TN_photobyPistol-Pete_Sus. Clips.jpg
    392.7 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Upvote 5

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I found this at a site that has yielded a flat button, a few pistol balls, and also shotgun shell headstamps from the late 1800s. Any idea what this might have been a part of? It's thin, stamped metal seemingly copper or brass.
The teeth on it look to be part of a suspender clip. I’d agree with that.

Upvote 2
OP
OP
F

feral-silence

Mar 25, 2019
Albany, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Feral-silence, notice the short "pin" on each end of the toothed bar. Those pins fit into corresponding holes on the suspender-buckle's main body. (KInda like an old windowshade-roll had pins on each end which fit into the hangers at the top of the windowframe.) In the first photo below, you can see the holed flanges which the pins fit into.

Also, you can see a similar "toothed bar" with mounting pins on each end of it in the group-photo of suspenders buckles, first item (marked President) in the next-to-last row.

You asked about your find's age. The suspenders buckle whoe toothed bar is missing (first photo) is marked "Pat. March 7, 1871" -- so your find dates from that year onward into the early 1900s.
Now that I see the full clip, it makes sense. Thank you for all of the examples and the great description. So it looks like I found not only Cletus's head stamps, but his suspenders, as well. Need to find more relics in line with the time-frame of the flat button now. haha

Thanks to everyone who replied. You guys are fantastic.

Upvote 3

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thin copper after being in the ground for a long time becomes very brittle, and breaks easily, probably not so much when it was made.

Upvote 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread