hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Historically Jemez Springs is mentioned in Sandoval County along with Placitas and Cochiti but nothing on quantity mined. This is from Northrop, Minerals of NM. 1959. I don't have anything on the Spanish Queen except that it's somewhere in the Jemez District. Santa Fe County seems to be more active. In the Sandia's Tijeras Canyon area especially Hell Canyon but I'm not sure how much of the area in on Kirtland.

If I were to try Jemez I would probably take hwy 4 up to where the stop sign splits and go right to the campground that has the waterfall. I'd pan under the fall. You might need to be a bit sneaky though.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Those are not RR tunnels. No railroad ever there. Car tunnels. I guess I might expect no gold being it's a bit far from the mountain. When you sampled by Soda Dam was the flow slow enough to get under the the flow? That's where any gold might settle. For those not familiar, Soda Dam is a natural limestone dam and is worth a peek if ever close. Problem being, that is a very public area. Probably a bad idea. But even in dry times the flow off that rock can be impressive and that's why I suggested the waterfall a few miles upstream. Actually I might try it.
I'll have to call Snakeyes and see if he is a hankering.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bigboyblue

Tenderfoot
Mar 3, 2014
Albuquerque
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes the rail road tunnels are called the Gilman Tunnels. Thats where i recently went after finding no succes with soda dam. But I might have to go check out that waterfall too.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I know some people that are knowledgeable about mining in NM. I'll ask about the Spanish Queen.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I just recently (Jan) joined the Albuquerque Gem and Mineral club. I was surprised how large and active they are. Meetings are the fourth Monday of the month at the Natural History Museum. 7: 00 PM. Check the web page if interested. I was surprised how connected they are with NM mines. A monthly field trip to places I didn't know how to locate or get access to. One coming up is to the San Pedro Mountains where there are gold claims. The mountains south of Golden and seems connected geologically to Madrid where the largest gold deposit was found in the early 1800's. It's still being mined.
Just thought I'd let you know.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Apr 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Spanish Queen mine is directly across from my house. There seems to be a bit of debate about it's exact location, because on my property there is a copper mine from several years back. I have had several persons from different colleges in NM come to my house and ask to explore the area. Of course I let them, but only if they agree that I'm not responsible for any loses or injuries. I've found many copper pieces but no gold. It might be possible to find some gems around here, at least the college persons believe so.

Goose-0

Dec 25, 2006
Central Minnnesota
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & VX3
Well, follow through with your name...'I wanna be a miner'. Look around and try to eyeball copper and maybe diamonds. I'll bet you find some goodies.

Prospector247

Dec 23, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If anyone want to find gold there is gold here but plz make sure you have a permit.i live in Albuquerque New Mexico so get on I 40 east get off on tijeras go to north 14 about 16 miles to a road called golden turn east with would a right turn there will be a hill road don't drive to the top on bottom of that hill left or right will be a dirt road any where there will be gold.an make sure you bring water if your panning.there are also garnets there root beer garnets green garnets and others if you go further in the mountain you will start seeing crystals

Last edited:

Prospector247

Dec 23, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've searched all jemas mountains and found nothing except diamonds but if your looking for gold I also live in Albuquerque make sure you have a permit go to I 40 east to tijeras go north on N14 about 16 miles to a road called golden turn right don't go up the hill take the road to the left or right on bottom of hill any where there is lots of gold if your panning take water

xxJimboxx

Nov 19, 2014
Rio Rancho New Mexico
Detector(s) used
TEK 4000,TEK G2, Makro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just curious how did you locate the area there off of N14? I want to check it out! Sounds great...

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I think he's talking about San Pedro mountain. I've gone to a claim there with the rock club to look for linerite specimens. The mountain is heavily claimed and has been for years.
The mine I was at mainly mined galena. San Pedro is next door to the Ortiz Mountain that was the largest gold strike in New Mexico and was still being mined but I saw no activity from Google Earth awhile back.

If you drive N on 14 the San Pedro mountain is just before the town of Golden E of the highway and bordered to the S by highway 344. Do your research because like I said it's heavily claimed.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I should mention the San Pedro is almost all public land but with a large part being private. If you go to the BLM office they have a surface management map of the area for about $10. You'll need to get claim information from I think the resource division but it's been a long time since I had to do that.

Sparklejwa

Dec 14, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Prospector247: Hello! I am intrigued by your Diamond comment and was wondering if it was a typo or if you’ve really found diamonds. I live in Jemez Springs and I’m always collecting. Recently I got it in my head that there had to be gold up here but have had no luck so far! However I too have found what I believe to be diamonds and am fairly sure they aren’t quartz crystals. Does anyone know if a diamond tester would work on a rough specimen, or if diamond testers only work on cut stones? Thanks in advance!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread