Any gold in quartz veins in mica schist?

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
Today I was exploring more on my current prospecting site, and I followed a trail of quartz that had apparently eroded down a hill back to a large mica schist. I didnt see where the quartz was coming from at first, so I got up in the overhang, in the underside of the formation, and found a hidden from view quartz vein about 2-3 inches wide where it had been weathering away and dropping down from.

The mica seems to be more gold colored then I usually see in mica, as you can probably see from the pictures:

In the first picture I am pointing at the quartz in the mica.

The second picture is just another mica piece that was really bright.

There is also one mica piece that is so gold I thought it was pyrite. You can see it in the third picture, at the top, with clay still on it. Some of the quartz pieces in that picture.

The fourth picture shows some of the quartz, havent really cleaned it up yet so didnt post any good pictures of it. Didnt see any Au visible though.

It was getting dark, and a long hike back to the car, so I didnt have time to do more then grab some samples.

So is there any Au in such quartz veins? Or is it possible to have Au in mica schist?

Attachments

• mica with quartz.jpg
    mica with quartz.jpg
    431.7 KB · Views: 29,813
  • mica schist metamorphic rock 1(smaller).jpg
    mica schist metamorphic rock 1(smaller).jpg
    262 KB · Views: 10,631
  • mica several + quartz small.jpg
    mica several + quartz small.jpg
    341.7 KB · Views: 6,912
  • mica and uncleaned quartz.jpg
    mica and uncleaned quartz.jpg
    436.4 KB · Views: 10,887
Upvote 0

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
gold bug pro,garret,whites,tesoro,bounty-hunter,,.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes it can,in the georgia belt it does .your area should be similar.it can run in several different host rocks,at the pine mountain gold mine it is heavely associated with micah shist,and quartz.it can run in horneblend gneise,green saprolite and several others.

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
gold bug pro,garret,whites,tesoro,bounty-hunter,,.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
from my experiences the gold in mica shist like in your picture,is usually fine but there are exceptions.i know one place where some actually have some meat to them.

beaks

Jul 8, 2008
texas
Detector(s) used
garrett 2500
i find mica in my pan all of the time mixed with the gold(i hate mica lol)

those would look good decorating a fireplace mantle.

Sparkgap

Oct 12, 2009
I have been wondering about this too. I grew up on a farm in NC about 17 miles south of the Portis gold mine in Franklin County, NC. There is a lot of quartz (mainly white) that often have mica running through it. Sometimes the mica looks very gold, especially if the quartz was recently cracked open and exposed to air.

Attachments

• Farm Rock April 09 019.JPG
    Farm Rock April 09 019.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 9,239
  • Farm Rock2 April 09 018.JPG
    Farm Rock2 April 09 018.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 4,037
  • freshly broken quartz with cold mica.JPG
    freshly broken quartz with cold mica.JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 4,845
  • NC quartz with mica.JPG
    NC quartz with mica.JPG
    152.8 KB · Views: 4,984

BladeGoldStar

Jun 17, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I found these stones in a creek. I dug out the side of the same creek. I hit a pocket of mica in mud, of different metalic colors (green , copper ,brown) but what stands out most to me is the bright yellow metallic colored specks and flakes in mud under exposed tree roots. Now the geo survey says there's no gold in this county but do they really know and is it worth me filtering what I think is gold from the other minerals?

heatherb32

Aug 7, 2022

I found these stones in a creek. I dug out the side of the same creek. I hit a pocket of mica in mud, of different metalic colors (green , copper ,brown) but what stands out most to me is the bright yellow metallic colored specks and flakes in mud under exposed tree roots. Now the geo survey says there's no gold in this county but do they really know and is it worth me filtering what I think is gold from the other minerals?

Its crazy, it looks like a lot of mica in there. Did you know that there is a company that actually sells makeup made out of mica just like that, as eyeshadow? So pretty.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread