any good history or spots in oakland county michigan

Sky_Warrior

Apr 23, 2008
Auburn Hills MI
Detector(s) used
MY ACE 250 JUST GOT HERE 5/07/08, also used a fisher 1220-x
i live in auburn hills michigan and i am planning on buying my first detector i am 16 and i used my dads old fisher detector but broke it in my second outing red that it was waterproof but what the book failed to tell me was the shaft wasnt so after searching in knee high water by a beach i lifted my detector in the air and the water from the shaft got into the box. now when i turn it on it just beeps out loud like the air is steel. i have been doing a lot of research in my area and found many old houses to check also i heard of a mansion from the late 1800's that i plan on searching just waiting on my permits to be signed so any tips on other spots.

DJ_Quinn

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2005
Southeastern Ireland
I'm originally from Oakland County, but I didn't start detectin until after I moved to Ireland. You live by Stoney Creek, although they probably won't let you detect at a Metropark. ou have a good idea to hit up old house sites. There are also a lot of parks that you probably could detect. I always wanted to detect around the lake my parents used to live on. There were some old cabins that were used by the notorious Detroit prohibition Purple Gang.

OP
OP
Sky_Warrior

Sky_Warrior

Apr 23, 2008
Auburn Hills MI
Detector(s) used
MY ACE 250 JUST GOT HERE 5/07/08, also used a fisher 1220-x
DJ_Quinn said:
I'm originally from Oakland County, but I didn't start detectin until after I moved to Ireland. You live by Stoney Creek, although they probably won't let you detect at a Metropark. ou have a good idea to hit up old house sites. There are also a lot of parks that you probably could detect. I always wanted to detect around the lake my parents used to live on. There were some old cabins that were used by the notorious Detroit prohibition Purple Gang.

HUH OH-NO THE PURPLE GANG.....

lol yah I heard of them I found a whole bunch of old farm land undeveloped around Oakland County so I'm gonna detect it.

SEMPER FI :sunny:

xdanthemanx

Oct 25, 2007
clarkston michigan
Detector(s) used
E-trac & XLT
theres a lot of sites in oakland county, that are still accessable, you just have to use your head and do some research, and it does not take a lot of research to find sites, obviously the more time you spend researching the more sites you will find. I just got into this hobby also but i have quite a list going of sites i believe will produce some good stuff, im out in clarkston and work in macomb, and have livied in oc my whole life, there are a lot of abandoned old homesites/farmsites etc that are still empty.

DanTheMan

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
I am in Wayne County very near 8 mile. All the metro parks open to metal detecting the day after Labor day and close to 'tecting on Memorial day the following year. And you DO have to get a permit from the parks offices, for each park you want to hunt. At the end of John R. as far North as you can go, there is an old State Park ( turned into city park ) if you are O.C. resident, I think you have to pay 5.00 to get in, but that's not bad. Lots of silver still to be had, a 1909-SVDB penny was found there couple years ago. I personally have found many, many wheats, barbers, 1 seated dime, walkers, and interesting other stuff, lead soldiers, cap guns, and on the topside there is tons of trash from almost 100 years of pic-nickers. There is also a Palindrome there (bicycle race track) made of wood, that is still in use for training bike racers. If you have some type of harness system, you can hunt the down sides of the hills. Good Luck and hope this has helped......... notgittinenny

Planet1mars

Feb 18, 2008
Shelby Twp., mi
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bloomers. been there this spring found a cool button but to many ankle bitters. i had one i almost chop his fingers off .. i was digging and he decided to put his hand in the hole while i was still digging ,i had to yell at him for it..

topmitch

Jul 28, 2008
A bit south of you is Belleville, near Ypsilanti and Belleville Lake. Before a dam was erected on the Huron river, a ghost town called Rawsonville stood, which is now under several feet of water. Get a good map and check for possible sites along the shoreline. There is a park on the north side of the lake, but I have not checked into possibility for permission yet. Good hunting.

griff208

Greenie
Mar 20, 2007
Hi. I am from Idaho and just moved to East Lansing, Michigan. I do a lot of detecting and am looking for someone to go with. if anyone is interested, just let me know.

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
To get that Fisher working again, Take the batteries out of it and leave the control box open. Use a hair dryer on low heat and set it about 6 inches away from control box and turn it on, let it run about 1/2 hour. Put battery (batteries) back in and turn the machine on, and seeif that worked.......... NGE

Pammy01

Apr 27, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in LAke Orion and would be interested in detecting with someone. Or if there is a detecting club in Northern Oakland county

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I got my first detector when I was living in Monroe, MI. That was '83, and there was still a lot of silver in the city parks. Did a lot of hunting in the Toledo area as well. Later lived in Troy, and that's when I started getting run off from the parks with threat of arrest. Also at the same time, my M.I.L. lived in Midland, did quite a bit of digging there. And then started getting run off by the law. Of course this was all over 30 years ago. I'd do some checking before digging if I were you, like contact the local laws.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I live in LAke Orion and would be interested in detecting with someone. Or if there is a detecting club in Northern Oakland county

I did a club hunt with the Lake Orion locals. I don't live there anymore so have no idea what the rules are. Mostly back then I hit school yards - didn't actually like the club hunts = a whole lot of arrogant people there back then, circa '83 to '86.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread