Any good ideas!!On cold water dredging???

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hot water heaters run off your pump using your exhaust from your engine to make ya warm as can be. actionmining.com has plans or Stapp Mining in San Bernadino used to make one but not familiar with that particular design.I've dredged with ice and even hands and feet stay warm with proper flow. Tons a au 2 u 2-John ;D

Chris in BC

Mar 19, 2003
Langley
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Keene 5" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dry suit and a full face mask, the only way to fly, hang onto the 2 pc wet suit for the middle of summer though. Chris

OP
OP
Z

zeuss69

Thanks guys!!Ill follow up on that ive herd about pumping hot water but wasnt sure how it worked?or if you could add somthing like that to your dredge then take it off in summer?

OP
OP
Z

zeuss69

No salt water i live in the piedmont area nc statesville

Doug-Iowa

Mar 31, 2003
Ottumwa, Iowa USA
If you decide to heat your wet suit with manifold warmed water be very very very careful. If for some reason the intake valve on your pump plugs you be be scalded. Has happened to a friend of mine and he didn't do anymore dreging for quite some time. 2nd and 3rd degree burns from the steam before he could ge tthe hose yanked out of his wet suit. Be very careful.

Doug-Iowa
DJ's Detectors

OP
OP
Z

zeuss69

Thanks doug i definetly dont want to get burned just to find gold.do you know if theres some kind of regulater that could controll the amout of heat??

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You use a small holding tank and makes it totally impossiblr to melt your butt cheeks closed,just another urban legend of mining.I've sold,used,and known thousands of miners use them in over 28+ years a dredging and no injuries yet??Could happen but I've never seen anyone not smart enough to put a hose filter screen or holding tank yet??Maybe dumber people out there than I've ever met???Tons a au 2 u 2-John

Doug-Iowa

Mar 31, 2003
Ottumwa, Iowa USA
Hoser I know of more then one person who has been burnt. The person I wrote about was very severly burnt. He ain't dumb either. His equipment just malfunctioned. If I remember correctly the winter of this accident is when some guys started to develope ways to keep this from happening.

Doug-Iowa

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
Right on Hoser. The only problem I ever had was wishing I could get more heat as I went deeper...Art

OP
OP
Z

zeuss69

does anyone have a picture of one these heaters or know where to look so i can at least get an idea??

OP
OP
Z

zeuss69

Well i didnt have any heater system but said the hell with it and went sunday test dredgen couldn't stand the water past my knees finaly after an hour they just went knumb.Me and david drove all over central nc hit as many creeks as we could test panning found some free areas to hit later in spring time when the water warms or if i ever can get some heat and stay warm !!We didnt stay in one spot to long so that we could find as many places as possiable if we found two or three peices wed stop and move on to another creek. we did the driving around on sat. then sunday went dredgen but still only stayed in one spot for very short time moved around making sure that theres gold in the areas.well there was some very fine some course flakes enough to go back and dredge for real and go down and move some rocks and get some nuggets and pickers

OP
OP
Z

zeuss69

They now have a quick release that attaches to your regulator and a safety valve that helps in case of foot valve gets clogged!!So now I'm just waitting Ive order one from stapp mining in Cali.It should arrive this week if there are not any more mud slides there.The fella i was taliking to said they were having trouble getting in and out cause of the mud slides some roads were closed.But either way I'm getting one now!!Just sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for ups to run by my house!!Well thanks for all your responses and help it has paid off in my decision making.May all of your pans be full of yellow and your detectors ring sweet music to your ears good luck to all and happy hunting!!!!!!!!!

ZEUSS69,

R

rvbvetter

Now i've never been in waters like in alaska. But it seems to me a wet suit should handle the cold. I abalony dive in the pacific in northern calif. in the winter using a wet suit and diving boots and hood. As soon as the water gets in the suit it heats to my body temperature and acts as an insulater and i never get cold except my face. Sometimes i'll float 2 to 3 hours out there no problem. My 2 cents

F

Fireball

Hi,

I've used a dry suit for kayaking/rafting durung the spring run off made by a company called Atlan from Quebec City. I got worked over in a rapid pretty good and came out dry as a bone. Their website is www.atlaninc.com. The suit ran about $450-500 Canadian.

You'd probably find it more comfortable then a diving suit.

Good Luck,

Fireball

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread