Any good letters for getting permissions or anyone have a liability waiver they could share.

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
diggingthe1

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Verbal permission with a trusty firm handshake 🤘
Thanjs, i agree. Lots of houses being sold up here, it's tough to meet up with the owners. Lots of abandoned houses, I would love to write to the people, no other way to contact them.

OP
OP
diggingthe1

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IF thats your only hope then go for it buddy, probably won't bite either of y'all but you just never know people
I agree, I usually take a walk in that am looking for people out and about. These big corporations are moving in, where the liability
IF thats your only hope then go for it buddy, probably won't bite either of y'all but you just never know people
Definitely not my only hope, I've been detecting these small towns for 20 years. Getting it whittled down to the houses and lots that are vacant. I take a walk nearly everyday keeping my open for people and opportunities. I've offered free lawn mowing, yard help. I've used all kinds of methods. There are lots of vacant lots where you could mail the owner a letter and see what happens.

hollARDog

Jun 18, 2022
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, I usually take a walk in that am looking for people out and about. These big corporations are moving in, where the liability

Definitely not my only hope, I've been detecting these small towns for 20 years. Getting it whittled down to the houses and lots that are vacant. I take a walk nearly everyday keeping my open for people and opportunities. I've offered free lawn mowing, yard help. I've used all kinds of methods. There are lots of vacant lots where you could mail the owner a letter and see what happens.
Sounds like alot of fun👍
Keep us posted if ya will

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As I detect more and try to get more permissions, I see these 2 items as invaluable tools to help. I'm not that good at writing, and I figured some of you already have these drawn out. Please share if you can!!!!! Thanks in advance for any help or ideas!!! I have quite a few permissions these could help immensely with.
A good idea
A buddy of mine crafted one for a permission but then it became inflexible when we wanted to add another person And/or another hunt date- remember that when you write one up
My permission technique is a good meeting with land owner, get to know him a bit, share your knowledge of the hobby and certainly show your stuff you dig up - Give him opportunity to claim what he wants too…!

OP
OP
diggingthe1

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A good idea
A buddy of mine crafted one for a permission but then it became inflexible when we wanted to add another person And/or another hunt date- remember that when you write one up
My permission technique is a good meeting with land owner, get to know him a bit, share your knowledge of the hobby and certainly show your stuff you dig up - Give him opportunity to claim what he wants too…!
Thanks, that's good information to remember. I have a friend that had a lawyer draw up a liability waiver. He said it has come in very handy when gaining permissions. I have the same technique as you, except for all the properties that people own and live elsewhere. I have the landglide app that shows the people's address, where it would be easy to send a generic letter and just alter it accordingly

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not dissing your idea,it,s a good one,but can be area specific. You mention the word liability to folks here and it,s all over,just the way people are around here. Much better luck to be had by the meet and greet technique,some friendly talk and offer to demonstrate your machine in action. Vacant lots and buildings are a bit of a conundrum. If owned by a realty or corporate entity,it can,t hurt to shoot them a nice letter and signed consent form.But usually they give a blanket no just because of that liability thing,even if you,re absolving them of it. The corporate mind at work. If still owned by a individual,a nice letter first and if it,s answered,then maybe the permission deal would work if they,re a little antsy about it. Can,t hurt,nothing ventured nothing gained.

OP
OP
diggingthe1

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not dissing your idea,it,s a good one,but can be area specific. You mention the word liability to folks here and it,s all over,just the way people are around here. Much better luck to be had by the meet and greet technique,some friendly talk and offer to demonstrate your machine in action. Vacant lots and buildings are a bit of a conundrum. If owned by a realty or corporate entity,it can,t hurt to shoot them a nice letter and signed consent form.But usually they give a blanket no just because of that liability thing,even if you,re absolving them of it. The corporate mind at work. If still owned by a individual,a nice letter first and if it,s answered,then maybe the permission deal would work if they,re a little antsy about it. Can,t hurt,nothing ventured nothing gained.
Well I'll give it my best shot!!! Lots of opportunities use both around here. I've had quite a few owners give me a look like" you better not hurt yourself" A simple form would put their mind at ease. Ill get me sister in law to help draw one up. I'll see what happens with letter, it will be exciting if I get some responses back. I definitely agree with meeting the people, it's the best way!! Most people own a few lots around here as an investment and live out of town. Thanks for the post!!!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
In over 50yrs of digging never had to draw up any type if paper.
I'd rather just drive down to another gate.
Trading phone #'s and first names is the general rule.
I get 95-98% yes you can.
Once you have a well known in the permission book, drop the name at the next ask.
Well if so & so said it was OK, then it's OK with me as well.
Hey Jim, I see you detecting on X field.
You know you can go on my property anytime you want.
No formal paper needed, just muddy's up the waters.

OP
OP
diggingthe1

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In over 50yrs of digging never had to draw up any type if paper.
I'd rather just drive down to another gate.
Trading phone #'s and first names is the general rule.
I get 95-98% yes you can.
Once you have a well known in the permission book, drop the name at the next ask.
Well if so & so said it was OK, then it's OK with me as well.
Hey Jim, I see you detecting on X field.
You know you can go on my property anytime you want.
No formal paper needed, just muddy's up the waters.
Thank you Pepperj for the tips, anything to add to the arsenal. I've walked this town silly and will continue to do so. I have this Landglide app that will show me who owns what when I'm walking, and their mailing address. What happened in Cripple Cerek is that when gambling came in everybody thought it would be a good idea to invest in land. I pass by lots that look like they haven't been touched in 100 years. Most people live in another town or state. It would be so easy to drop them a letter. And then use all the tools in the letter. I've already been down to that next gate, the town is kinda small:)
There is a few local town dumps where a group of people own them. I really want to get this permission to dig there, that's mainly where that waiver would come in the most handy. I appreciate the post!!!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never put a negative thought into the head of a home owner! Handing him a liability release will kill the deal. Not necessary at all. You'll just make the home owner wonder how you could possibily hurt yourself doing such a simple and passive activity! You must be accident prone, so stay off my property!

OP
OP
diggingthe1

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never put a negative thought into the head of a home owner! Handing him a liability release will kill the deal. Not necessary at all. You'll just make the home owner wonder how you could possibily hurt yourself doing such a simple and passive activity! You must be accident prone, so stay off my property!
People are different, I think it would benifit a certain type of person. Their are certain situations where it would come in handy. I've heard lots of home owners saying, just don't get hurt. Then you could bring up a simple waiver, if you thought it would help. A gentleman in our local club uses one with sucess. The waiver is more for the corporations, and to try to get into that dump site. I agree with you, no negativity!!!!! Handing them the waiver releases them of anything. Don't worry Tim, I'm sure you have found most of the good stuff. If I owned a dump and someone asked me to dig, the waiver would be a good thing. You know this country is sue happy, I'm not accident prone, just thought this community was big enough they would have run across simular situations.

OP
OP
diggingthe1

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate the link!!! Thanks, that should work, I can substitute metal detecting for bottle digging when I need!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread