Any ham radio operators out there?

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Was KA9RFS in WI. Now, KO4KP (NC) since the 90s. Extra. Been transmitting since the early 80s, I believe. I very much like CW and will usually hang out in the lower band areas of 20 meters. I am a QRP NUT! 40 years ago, I was building my own transmitters and receivers. Now, just sliding along on store-bought. Running a Yaesu FT-818nd (QRP rig - 5 watts) into an EFHW sloper right now. If I am transmitting from a desert location, I have room to put up a G5RV to a height of 30 feet. The bands are pretty quiet right now (sun cycle) so I MIGHT break down and buy a 100 watt transceiver soon and a Hustler 4BTV antenna. That is my favorite antenna. Any and all hams please respond. We could set up a "sked" of T-netters! ╦╦C

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
13.gif
Ya might take a look at: Are there any amateur radio operators on T-net?
(May 29, 2011)

I ran DX (230+ Confirmed) and QRPp (ole Heathkit) for years as well.

I just donated all my equipment to an Elmer Program with my club. I live in a condo (had my HF equipment boxed up for years) and can't hang antenna's so only running VHF.

de -.- . ...-- .--

C&SDiggers

Jun 29, 2022
Was KA9RFS in WI. Now, KO4KP (NC) since the 90s. Extra. Been transmitting since the early 80s, I believe. I very much like CW and will usually hang out in the lower band areas of 20 meters. I am a QRP NUT! 40 years ago, I was building my own transmitters and receivers. Now, just sliding along on store-bought. Running a Yaesu FT-818nd (QRP rig - 5 watts) into an EFHW sloper right now. If I am transmitting from a desert location, I have room to put up a G5RV to a height of 30 feet. The bands are pretty quiet right now (sun cycle) so I MIGHT break down and buy a 100 watt transceiver soon and a Hustler 4BTV antenna. That is my favorite antenna. Any and all hams please respond. We could set up a "sked" of T-netters! ╦╦C
Extra class here, I mostly run HF 100 watts and a homebrew di pole have many DX contacts 5000 miles+ on 40m.
Running a Yaesu 857D with a hand me down power supply, also run a Yaesu FT-400DR in my truck I mostly use it for Police/Fire traffic (I'm a volunteer firefighter) but also talk in on the local repeaters and occasionally call out cq on .520
I love talking but hard to find the time, I'm not much of a sit still person. biggest reason why i love metal detecting. im actually trying to purge a lot of my ham equipment at the moment
Anyway 73s
de -.- ----. .--. .-. .--

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Extra class here, I mostly run HF 100 watts and a homebrew di pole have many DX contacts 5000 miles+ on 40m.
Running a Yaesu 857D with a hand me down power supply, also run a Yaesu FT-400DR in my truck I mostly use it for Police/Fire traffic (I'm a volunteer firefighter) but also talk in on the local repeaters and occasionally call out cq on .520
I love talking but hard to find the time, I'm not much of a sit still person. biggest reason why i love metal detecting. im actually trying to purge a lot of my ham equipment at the moment
Anyway 73s
de -.- ----. .--. .-. .--
K9PRW? Purge that stuff my way. I will pay a fair price. ╦╦C

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
13.gif
Ya might take a look at: Are there any amateur radio operators on T-net?
(May 29, 2011)

I ran DX (230+ Confirmed) and QRPp (ole Heathkit) for years as well.

I just donated all my equipment to an Elmer Program with my club. I live in a condo (had my HF equipment boxed up for years) and can't hang antenna's so only running VHF.

de -.- . ...-- .--
KE3W. I got WAS except HI and AK on a homebrew transmitter, using a Kenwood TS-50 receiver, USING ONE WATT! That was from WI. I HAD the QSL cards to prove it..... back then. ╦╦C

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KE3W. I got WAS except HI and AK on a homebrew transmitter, using a Kenwood TS-50 receiver, USING ONE WATT! That was from WI. I HAD the QSL cards to prove it..... back then. ╦╦C
tn_metal_detector.gif
Memories...I can remember getting up in the middle of the night looking for states with my little Heathkit HW-8. Before running QRP, I was running a Kenwood TS-520 and I lived in Maryland. Delaware was my hardest state to confirm! I still have (someplace) a QSL card for the first ham I worked (out of Virginia) back in 1978. Ah the memories... :)

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
tn_metal_detector.gif
Memories...I can remember getting up in the middle of the night looking for states with my little Heathkit HW-8. Before running QRP, I was running a Kenwood TS-520 and I lived in Maryland. Delaware was my hardest state to confirm! I still have (someplace) a QSL card for the first ham I worked (out of Virginia) back in 1978. Ah

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am looking, right now, at an "acknowledgement" from W5LFL (they don't send QSLs) That I heard his transmission from the COLUMBIA back in Nov/Dec 1983! Owen Garriott. I did not keep WAS cards but I kept this one. A QSL from SPACE! I later went on to work at the Kennedy Space Center from 2002 to 2007. Neat! ╦╦C

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here are pics just taken. As the acknowledgement reads, this was the FIRST ham radio station in space! I might also add that I was working at Kennedy the day the Columbia crashed. ╦╦C

Attachments

• sts-9-1.JPG
    sts-9-1.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 22
  • sts-9-2.JPG
    sts-9-2.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 25
  • sts-9-3.JPG
    sts-9-3.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 20
  • sts-9-4.JPG
    sts-9-4.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 20

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My station back in the late 70's early 80's. I was heavy into chasing DX and running phone patches for the Embassy. Had a tri-band beam up about 40 feet with dipoles hanging all over the place, 1 KB Dentron Amplifier for DX and a bunch of supporting toys. You can see my little Heathkit on top of my Kenwood TS-520S and Kenwood TR-7600 2 Meter off to the right. Ah, those were the days. :)
1980_01.jpg

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My station back in the late 70's early 80's. I was heavy into chasing DX and running phone patches for the Embassy. Had a tri-band beam up about 40 feet with dipoles hanging all over the place, 1 KB Dentron Amplifier for DX and a bunch of supporting toys. You can see my little Heathkit on top of my Kenwood TS-520S and Kenwood TR-7600 2 Meter off to the right. Ah, those were the days. :)
Yes, those were the days. I recently (three days ago!) got back on the HF bands. Snagged NM, TX, and OK. 47 to go! QRP. I gave pretty much all my goodies to my twin. You knew him as TimC. He passed and someone AQUIRED all of it! About 3/4 thousand dollars worth. Now, in my old age, I will have reason for being. I will transmit from locations around the states when I travel. ╦╦C

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.
Holy cow! I did not know that Hustler was still around.

I'm not an Amateur Radio operator, but played with CBs, and scanners for a long time.

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hustler is still around. MFJ is still going strong. One thing that is glaring over twenty years ago is the code speed of EXTRA licenses. Many of the extras are sending at speeds that are SLOWER than the generals of twenty years ago. Then it hit me. That's because the code is no longer needed! The NEWBEE extras are sending so slow. With that being said, there is a movement BACK to CW, even though it is no longer needed to pass the exam. That is good! BTW, snagged CT last night. 5 WATTS! ╦╦C

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.
Hustler is still around. MFJ is still going strong. One thing that is glaring over twenty years ago is the code speed of EXTRA licenses. Many of the extras are sending at speeds that are SLOWER than the generals of twenty years ago. Then it hit me. That's because the code is no longer needed! The NEWBEE extras are sending so slow. With that being said, there is a movement BACK to CW, even though it is no longer needed to pass the exam. That is good! BTW, snagged CT last night. 5 WATTS! ╦╦C
MFJ being still around does not surprise me. I still have a telescoping, BNC connector handheld antenna I switch between scanner,and CB units from them. I have a window mount made for it too. They must be 30 years old.

My friend got his license when they dropped the code. He only dabbled with 2 meter, but now his handheld collects dust.

Maybe partition the FCC for select bandwidth for adept code users. That would make sense to me. But what unforeseen consequences would that cause?
1977MayEE1.jpg

LandSeig

May 16, 2020
Southeast Tx
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, NEL Storm coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
General class, KI5QND. I run a 100w yeasu ft 847 with a end fed. I usually hang out on 20m or 40m. I would like to eventually get a good directional antenna to be able to get out better.

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
General class, KI5QND. I run a 100w yeasu ft 847 with a end fed. I usually hang out on 20m or 40m. I would like to eventually get a good directional antenna to be able to get out better.
I got CT yesterday on my END FED... on just 5 watts! Consider putting up a EDZ EXTENDED DOUBLE ZEPP. 3db gain over a dipole. Or better yet, a full wave loop for more gain yet! You'll get that signal out. ╦╦C

LandSeig

May 16, 2020
Southeast Tx
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, NEL Storm coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got CT yesterday on my END FED... on just 5 watts! Consider putting up a EDZ EXTENDED DOUBLE ZEPP. 3db gain over a dipole. Or better yet, a full wave loop for more gain yet! You'll get that signal out. ╦╦C
Thanks I’ll have to try that out

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Extra class here, KC4VAJ. Had my license for 32 years now.
You're just a NEWBEE! I got my first license, a general, in the early 80s or even late 70s. Already had WAS 1 watt (except HI and AK) by the time you got your license. Just jerkin' your chain, bb. Notice the new extras are really slow with the CW? They should never have dropped the code exam, in my opinion. ╦╦C

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
MFJ being still around does not surprise me. I still have a telescoping, BNC connector handheld antenna I switch between scanner,and CB units from them. I have a window mount made for it too. They must be 30 years old.

My friend got his license when they dropped the code. He only dabbled with 2 meter, but now his handheld collects dust.

Maybe partition the FCC for select bandwidth for adept code users. That would make sense to me. But what unforeseen consequences would that cause?
View attachment 2037275
I keep the handheld(s) and a repeater directory in the vehicle in case I break down on the open road. ╦╦C

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread