Oct 5, 2006
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: some type of tool?

jrwill56 said:
Found this metal detecting on old farm,it is cast aluminum.a little over 5" long , has BTC on it

Welcome to Treasurenet jrwill56 :thumbsup:

Are you able to post slightly larger pics please?

Cheers, Mike

Upvote 0

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX

Welcome to Tnet. Can't wait to see you first coin post. Cleaned 'er up with a grinder aye? ;D

Daryl

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Im sorry but the pictures do not seem very good. I cannot focus well.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

BioProfessor said:
Welcome to Tnet. Can't wait to see you first coin post. Cleaned 'er up with a grinder aye? ;D

Daryl
lol I think he meant a wire wheel. ;D

Upvote 0

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used

Oh, sorry. And the difference would be? :D

Daryl

Just having some fun jrwill56. Jump in, the water's fine.

Upvote 0

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used

Just messing with you JR. We've all done our share of "I knew I shouldn't have done that." and we just have to joke about how things get cleaned up. I was in the UK once and a farmer said he had found a big Bronze age ax. These are EXTREMELY rare and valuable. He asked if we wanted to see it. We said "Of course." He goes in the barn and brings out this nice SHINY bronze ax. Looked like a new penny. Value now - $0.

No doubt you would do the right thing with a known valuable item.

Since you say it was cast aluminum, here's some trivia. When they finished the Washington Monument in 1884, they wanted to cap the pyramid top with something special. They decided to use the most valuable/expensive metal there was to make the final "block." That metal, in 1884, was aluminum.

Daryl

Upvote 0

Pangus

Jul 2, 2005
Georgia

and its two different colors cuz after its erection was delayed by the civil war, they had to get "white" marble from a different location, first Maryland and then Massachusetts...

Upvote 0

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BioProfessor said:
Just messing with you JR. We've all done our share of "I knew I shouldn't have done that." and we just have to joke about how things get cleaned up. I was in the UK once and a farmer said he had found a big Bronze age ax. These are EXTREMELY rare and valuable. He asked if we wanted to see it. We said "Of course." He goes in the barn and brings out this nice SHINY bronze ax. Looked like a new penny. Value now - $0.
No doubt you would do the right thing with a known valuable item.
Since you say it was cast aluminum, here's some trivia. When they finished the Washington Monument in 1884, they wanted to cap the pyramid top with something special. They decided to use the most valuable/expensive metal there was to make the final "block." That metal, in 1884, was aluminum.
Daryl
I have to double your experience Daryl, had exactly the same experience with a farmer last year in England. He said yea, down by the river I saw this nice thing, I will show you... and went to get it in his house (we were at his farm at the time). He also came out with a really really beautiful bronze axe.... nice and shiny. We had almost heart failure, all four of us! It was really a top find, no corrosion, just perfect, and perfectly cleaned. Maybe with a grinder brush also, that works the best with those old things...everyone should do that...

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

can you post a better pic?

ADDED: much better TY. :) but for some reason your lighting is showing an annoying reflection. Are you using a flash? You will find that taking pictures outside with flash OFF will produce the best pics. If you must take indoors, use halogen lighting with camera flash off and watch your shadows.

Upvote 0

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Being alumimun, having BTC stamped on it and two slots to hold something in position, could be some sort of timming tool. Maybe for an engine BTC = Before Top Center ?? Tony

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

Your pics are much better jrwill thank you. :) ...but for some reason your lighting is showing an annoying reflection. You cant even read the numbers on your rule. Are you using a flash? You will find that taking pictures outside with flash OFF will produce the best pics. If you must take indoors, use overhead lighting (halogen preferred) with camera flash off and watch your shadows.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread