✅ SOLVED Any idea what this is and date range. Copper/brass piece.

Critik

Apr 25, 2017
Charlotte, Nc
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro/Bounty Hunter Tracker IV/Fisher 1225x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2C8002E0-5811-4CF2-BD04-3DBDE0131254.jpeg
F680367D-3F13-4D76-BFB4-5A604B793AC6.jpeg
48D7A0C9-3B17-469E-855D-C4FC0F1BA6BD.jpeg

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Villagenut is correct... your find is part of a suspenders strap-adjuster buckle.

Its form is a "sawtoothed bar"... which got patented a few years after the civil war ended. That design was in use from then on into the early-1900s.

The example shown in the photo below is an "Elephant" brand suspenders strap buckle, patented in 1871.

Attachments

• suspenders-buckle_patented-1871_UNMARKED_sawtoothed-bar_Elephant_frontview_TN_postedbyBurglari...jpg
    suspenders-buckle_patented-1871_UNMARKED_sawtoothed-bar_Elephant_frontview_TN_postedbyBurglari...jpg
    855.2 KB · Views: 20
Upvote 5
OP
OP
C

Critik

Apr 25, 2017
Charlotte, Nc
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro/Bounty Hunter Tracker IV/Fisher 1225x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Villagenut is correct... your find is part of a suspenders strap-adjuster buckle.

Its form is a "sawtoothed bar"... which got patented a few years after the civil war ended. That design was in use from then on into the early-1900s.

The example shown in the photo below is an "Elephant" brand suspenders strap buckle, patented in 1871.
Thanks guys. So how did this stay connected to the other piece I do not see anything broken on it. Is there a name for the fancy on it? Is that a common used fancy.

Upvote 4

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Critik asked, about the suspenders strap-adjuster buckle component:
> So how did this stay connected to the other piece I do not see anything broken on it.

I somehow posted a photo showing a similar suspenders-buckle's front instead of the back which I intended. I'll do that at the end of the post, so you can see the sawtoothed-bar on it.

How the sawtoothed-bar was connected to the rest of the buckle:
The second photo below shows a flange with a round hole through it on each side of the buckle. Your sawtoothed-bar's ends have a short tab-shaped projection, which fitted semi-loosely into the round holes, thereby allowing the bar to rotate.

> Is there a name for the fancy on it?

I suspect there is a name for that design, but I don't know it.

> Is that a common used fancy.

Yes. It appears as a decoration on many-many items made throughout the 1800s, and is still seen occasionally on "modern" items. A similar "fancy" is on the tongue of the second suspenders-buckle shown below.

Attachments

• suspenders-buckle_patented-1871_UNMARKED_sawtoothed-bar_Elephant_backview_TN_postedbyBurglarif...jpg
    suspenders-buckle_patented-1871_UNMARKED_sawtoothed-bar_Elephant_backview_TN_postedbyBurglarif...jpg
    717.1 KB · Views: 18
  • suspenders-buckle_Patented-1871-March-7_TN_photobyMike_In-Berks_IMG_6853_2.jpg
    suspenders-buckle_Patented-1871-March-7_TN_photobyMike_In-Berks_IMG_6853_2.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 25
Upvote 3

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread