Any ideas or suggestions on what to do with Wheat cents?

The Jersey DEvil

Nov 29, 2009
Tri state area, USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500, Fisher CZ5, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Cibola, Garret Grand Master Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Over the years I've accumulated 1000s of wheaties. FYI, I find an average of 30 per box. As of now they just sit around in baggies & containers sitting wastefully idle. Although I do have some ideas on what I can do with them, I would like to hear from the experts on this forum on what I can do with them. Any & all suggestions will greatly be appreciated. Thank you.

Upvote 0

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
Craigslist at 3 cents a piece would get them sold fast plus triple your money. Nothing wrong with that.

OP
OP
T

The Jersey DEvil

Nov 29, 2009
Tri state area, USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500, Fisher CZ5, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Cibola, Garret Grand Master Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At $25 a bag for 500 coins is .05 each. Most coin shops pay .02 each. So they all making a hefty .03 profit on each coin. However, I do bettter as I've been grading some individually & successfully selling them at flea markesuts for .15 or more cents each. But the only problem with that is all the time it takes to encapsulate them in coin holders & grading & pricing each one. But its fun & well worth it to maximize my profit margin. FYI, there are a lot of wheat collectors out there because they are affordable - especially with kids as they are my biggest customers. Thanks for your help frankendime.

OP
OP
T

The Jersey DEvil

Nov 29, 2009
Tri state area, USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Flea markets I meant. My apology for the spelling error.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I have sold several lots on CL at 3.5 cents each no problem. At 3 cents I would have had them sold in an hour. No takers at 4-5 cents. I buy them for $1.75 a roll from a local gold buyer.

baltax

Mar 9, 2011
My local pawn shop will buy them any condition 3cents ea I have a guy that sells unsearched lots of wheats for 2cents ea he has around $20,000 worth lol so I buy search flip lol not a bad gig most come cull but I did find a vf 31s was very pleased lol

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
I have 2 open top boxes of pennies with labeled tubes standing straight up. I presort the wheats into groups of the 50s , 40s etc. I then sort them into the tubes and roll them up and label the roll when they hit 50.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread