✅ SOLVED Any Ideas what this Brass item is??

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

I found two of these items--flat brass items with two holes for rivets/nails in them. They looked at the time like they would have some sort of stamping on them, but both are plain... The older one has some design and it is cast. It also has a part of an old nail still in one hole of it...

2008 8-14 001.jpg

2008 8-14 003.jpg

2008 8-14 002.jpg

I found this one online that was stamped "CS" from a CW camp--the finder at the site says that it's a "watch fob" but it obviously isn't...and it's the same dimensions as the plain oval one I found (pictured above). I'm not suggesting that these are war related, but I'm just wondering what the heck they are... :icon_scratch:

CS disk.jpg

http://www.midtenrelics.com/buttons.htm (See #2, second photo...)

Regards,

Buckleboy

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
re: the reply above; FYI, the site has produced finds from the Post Colonial period. Also found was a KG III counterfeit on my last outing (Nov. 30th 2009!!!), and many other finds, mostly early 1800's to 1950's. I am curious about the time period.

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neil in West Jersey said:
re: the reply above; FYI, the site has produced finds from the Post Colonial period. Also found was a KG III counterfeit on my last outing (Nov. 30th 2009!!!), and many other finds, mostly early 1800's to 1950's. I am curious about the time period.
This is the first complete one I have ever seen, & I have had many broken examples of both.

Is the gap in the holes 22mm?

Upvote 0

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
CRUSADER said:
This is the first complete one I have ever seen, & I have had many broken examples of both.

Is the gap in the holes 22mm?

It is closer to 24mm from center to center. 19mm from the edge of the hole.

It should also be noted that I have not found any other tack items at this site. I know there was a home dating back before 1850, it was possibly a tenant house, followed by a nursery in the first half of the 20th century.

Upvote 0

Kevo_DFX

Sep 5, 2008
Greensburg, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX
Here's one I got. Appears to be silver plated and bent out on one side like it was attached too tightly to something. Found in Western PA on an active farm that has seen activity back to late 18th century.

bbthingo.jpg

bbthingr.jpg

Regards,
Kevo

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
It should also be noted that I have not found any other tack items at this site. I know there was a home dating back before 1850, it was possibly a tenant house, followed by a nursery in the first half of the 20th century.
They may not all be horse related but I think they are all belt guides. Yours could be from a leather bag like I previously posted. :dontknow: reply #299.

Upvote 0

Kevo_DFX

Sep 5, 2008
Greensburg, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX
I know this is a never-ending topic, but I found a couple more that have some interesting designs on them:

First one is 37 mm wide:
ovaltack1.jpg

second on is only 27 mm wide:
ovaltack2.jpg

Thanks,
Kevo

Upvote 0

Lygore

Nov 7, 2012
I think I may have figured this one out! I vaguely remembered seeing something like this on my dad's Kentucky flintlock as a kid. I think it's an escutcheon or thumb plate. This would also explain why they're found at colonial, pioneer, and CW sites too. They all used muzzle loading firearms at those times.
They were all kinds of sizes, intricacy, and found on muskets and pistols. Both on top and bottom of the stocks. The smaller ones are usually found on the undersides though.

image-492688131.jpg

image-2999654845.jpg

image-1348518617.jpg

The last picture is a newer one for sale in Europe.
I hope this might help a bit. It makes sense to me that they would have nailed some on in earlier times, and made them personal via carvings and such.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Buckles, it seems I remember us discussing items like yours a couple of years ago, and the general consensus was: saddle tack. I tried to do a search to find the post, but had no luck. Does anyone remember that post? I think Dale, BCH was in on the post. Interesting finds, Breezie

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buckles, it seems I remember us discussing items like yours a couple of years ago, and the general consensus was: saddle tack. I tried to do a search to find the post, but had no luck. Does anyone remember that post? I think Dale, BCH was in on the post. Interesting finds, Breezie

Ummm, this is the post. ;) And the consensus was, and is still saddle tack. The musket escutcheons up above do not have the holes in them. I really like the piece with the dog and deer engraved. Beautiful item. Seems like very few of the U-shaped pieces are found, or maybe folks don't know what they are or dismiss them as being nothing worth keeping.

Regards,

Buck

Upvote 0

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also got coins from the earlier 1800s where I found mine--two 1820s LC's. I don't think there was much occupation there after the CW. If you have yours accessible, I'd love to see them on this thread as well. Perhaps we can figure this out. I'm going to start by looking through photos of rifles, pistols, and saddles to see if I can find anything.

Regards,

BB,
I have a couple from here around Dalton,Ga.
Id be happy to find out what they are also. I'll post them on this thread in the next day or so.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I believe its solved as saddle tack. To be more precise strap guide.

Thats really cool Kiddrock.

Im going to mark it as solved to prevent any more confusion. If you disagree, Buckles, you can remove it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions