ohiowhiteguy

ohiowhiteguy

Oct 11, 2012
clermont county ohio
Detector(s) used
coin master pro,,,Garrett at pro,,, Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you dig that coin? What an impressive big old copper. Congrats!
no i didn't dig it i was hunting around an old homesite and came across an old rotten log i was getting a strong 99 signal so i got a strong branch and keep breaking away the rotten log till it was in pieces cleared everything away and was still getting a 99 on my at pro..i reached in under the cabin and used my garret carrot to pinpoint it...it was sitting on the ledge of another log. i felt around and out came the coin.needless to say i almost peed my self..lol

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
no i didn't dig it i was hunting around an old homesite and came across an old rotten log i was getting a strong 99 signal so i got a strong branch and keep breaking away the rotten log till it was in pieces cleared everything away and was still getting a 99 on my at pro..i reached in under the cabin and used my garret carrot to pinpoint it...it was sitting on the ledge of another log. i felt around and out came the coin.needless to say i almost peed my self..lol
That’s a great little story. I guess I meant did you dig and/or find it, versus bought from a dealer or friend. That is a pretty remarkable coin to have found. Congrats again on a huge and interesting coin. You don’t see coppers like that very often, that’s for sure.

kot63

Jan 14, 2019
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500 Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mortgage coins

It has become a tradition in ancient times to make a sacrifice before starting an important business. And the more we go deep into the depths of the centuries, the more serious these victims were. Before construction, human life was sacrificed. According to the people of those times, it was believed that the structure, before the construction of which a sacrifice was made, would be stronger and last longer. It is believed that the name of the fortified house "detinets" came precisely from the fact that before the start of work, a baby was sacrificed. After such barbaric rites before construction ended, instead of people and animals, they began to pawn coins.
Mortgage coins were placed in different places in the structure of the house. Methods for laying coins depend on the traditions of the people building the house. But mainly, such coins were pawned in inaccessible places, which are simply impossible to get without violating the integrity of the house. As a rule, such coins were laid at the "red" angle, at all angles, under the windowsills, under the threshold and under the mat. It should be clarified that the right corner of the wall of the house, which runs parallel to the street of the village on which the house was built, was called the red corner.

Coins were pawned of different values, depending on the wealth of the owners of the house. Poor peasants pawned one coin of a small denomination each, wealthy gentlemen in their homes - several coins of a high denomination at once. Therefore, information about the status of the owners of the house will be very useful to the seeker.

When you get into an abandoned house, be sure to "ring" all the popular places where mortgage coins can be . As a rule, several methods of laying coins were used. Most often, in brick houses, coins were laid in the foundation masonry, or between the foundation and the first crown. Also, coins were often placed between the first and second crowns. In wooden houses, coins were placed between the bars in the walls or floor.

There are a number of pros and cons to finding mortgage coins . Of the minuses: firstly, if the coins are located between the foundation and the lower crown, then their safety will be very depressing, secondly, there are very few truly preserved houses of wealthy peasants left, most have long been dismantled, thirdly, this type The search is quite time-consuming compared to the field search. However, there are a couple of strong arguments in favor of looking for mortgage coins. Firstly, if the coins are placed between the first and second crowns, then their safety will be just perfect. Secondly, you can search for mortgage coins all season. This type of search is perfect in times of snow and thick grass, when searching in open areas becomes quite difficult.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread