🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Any ideas?

VaGent

Apr 20, 2021
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
Currently Deus XP, also have 2 Minelab Explorer XS as backups.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Both of these very thin, brass strips with a scalloped design were found in the same area, but about 20 years apart. The site where found is a homesite in Central Virginia that has produced almost exclusively 1840s to Civil War relics, almost nothing post Civil War. Site was occupied by both US and CS soldiers. I have seen and handled a lot of relics, but these have me stumped as to what they are. Both were bent and crumpled up when dug. Both are ~6" long and slightly tapered, have a tiny hole at each end, and bear traces of silverplate. Anyone have any idea what they are?

Attachments

• scallops (1).JPG
    scallops (1).JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 126
  • scallops (2).JPG
    scallops (2).JPG
    1,012.1 KB · Views: 74
  • scallops (3).JPG
    scallops (3).JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 71
Last edited:
OP
OP
VaGent

VaGent

Apr 20, 2021
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Both of these very thin, brass strips with a scalloped design were found in the same area, but about 20 years apart. The site where found is a homesite in Central Virginia that has produced almost exclusively 1840s to Civil War relics, almost nothing post Civil War. Site was occupied by both US and CS soldiers. I have seen and handled a lot of relics, but these have me stumped as to what they are. Both were bent and crumpled up when dug. Both are ~6" long and slightly tapered, have a tiny hole at each end, and bear traces of silverplate. Anyone have any idea what they are?
While not an exact match, I am thinking these may have been decorative trim on a shako, similar to these examples:

Attachments

• MuseeMarine-ShakoMarine.jpg
    MuseeMarine-ShakoMarine.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 446c06acd55cc7f6413e60e998699f4f.jpg
    446c06acd55cc7f6413e60e998699f4f.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 26
Upvote 6

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would be way cool if indeed it was decorative trim! How was the decorative trim attached to the shako? The reason for asking is I see what could be a little rust at the left end of the bottom piece of trim. If so, do you recall if there was a rusty nail in the hole next to the trim?

Upvote 2
OP
OP
VaGent

VaGent

Apr 20, 2021
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That would be way cool if indeed it was decorative trim! How was the decorative trim attached to the shako? The reason for asking is I see what could be a little rust at the left end of the bottom piece of trim. If so, do you recall if there was a rusty nail in the hole next to the trim?
Yes, the ends have tiny holes with the remains of either a tack or fine iron wire. That would be consistent with that type of headwear.

Upvote 2

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
While not an exact match, I am thinking these may have been decorative trim on a shako, similar to these examples:
I think "shako trim" is a good bet. Most of them I saw had "scales" instead of an embossed "one piece" trim.

I did find this. Again, not an exact match but a one piece embossed thin brass piece of similar size and shape.

1836 US Infantry officer's shako:

204888d1305749656-us-1832-light-infantry-officers-shako-002.jpg

Upvote 2

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone will probably see it and tell us what it is for sure

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions