Any interchangeability between D1 and D2?

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry, no. The Deus 2 requires using the simultaneous multifrequency coils. Since the Deus 1 is single frequency, they're not interchangeable. Remember, with either the Deus 1 or 2 the coils are the main component of the detector, unlike other brands where all the technology is in the control box.

OP
OP
Toothpick

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
XP-DEUS 2, MANTICORE, XP-DEUS 1, Equinox 800, Simplex, 1280x, Gold Bug 2, 12v Gator Gill Hookah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Emil, Pepperj,.......was it worth it to you to upgrade from D1 to D2? Noticeably better then D1? I keep flip flopping between D2 and manticore. I mostly hunt fresh water beach/shallow water, often loaded with iron and junk and that has been where my D1 has been noticeably better then my 800. In clean areas I prefer my 800.

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To me the Deus 2 was worth it. Mainly because the multifrequency makes it more versatile, and even though I haven't used the 2 enough at this point to know if will actually find more diggable targets, it does give a much more obvious signal than the 1, so I think it's less likely you'll miss a target that the 1 may have detected but would have had a much weaker signal.

In the spring after I get out more I may have more to say but for now I can only say, yes, I'm glad I got 2.

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Emil, Pepperj,.......was it worth it to you to upgrade from D1 to D2? Noticeably better then D1? I keep flip flopping between D2 and manticore. I mostly hunt fresh water beach/shallow water, often loaded with iron and junk and that has been where my D1 has been noticeably better then my 800. In clean areas I prefer my 800.
I have both D1 and D2. While there is a lot of enthusiasm for the D2 by many that purchased it, I'm not one of them.
I'm not saying it isn't a good detector, just that you should really go over it to see if you want to "upgrade".
For me, it was a lateral move (no improvement over the D1 in mild soil).

Also, If you go out every day, you may not like what a PITA the remote's charge plug is to use. IMO it's an accident waiting to happen and a big fail for XP, especially if you use it often. The charge plug (waterproof threaded DIN plug) is small, so for a person with big fingers it can be difficult to manipulate, making it easy to cross threaded if you aren't careful.

It has great target separation in iron, comparable to the D1. That's pretty good for a Multi-frequency detector IMO.
I have a Minelab Sovereign, and it was horrible to use in trashy areas.

The D1 will sound off in iron with an iron grunt (iron audio on) with a TID of ~0-1 or 97-99. If I got a TID anywhere in between when relic hunting, it was sure to be a non-ferrous object hiding in the iron. That doesn't work with the D2 in multi-frequency. The D2 will false on iron all over the TID range. When you are looking for non-ferrous hiding in tons of nails, it can be aggravating.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Toothpick

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
XP-DEUS 2, MANTICORE, XP-DEUS 1, Equinox 800, Simplex, 1280x, Gold Bug 2, 12v Gator Gill Hookah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys I appreciate your opinions.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
For the Beach and shallow water the D2 was a definite upgrade for me. Although I still use the D1 with the HF Elliptical Coil which is a great setup. Best of luck!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have both D1 and D2. While there is a lot of enthusiasm for the D2 by many that purchased it, I'm not one of them.
I'm not saying it isn't a good detector, just that you should really go over it to see if you want to "upgrade".
For me, it was a lateral move (no improvement over the D1 in mild soil).

Also, If you go out every day, you may not like what a PITA the remote's charge plug is to use. IMO it's an accident waiting to happen and a big fail for XP, especially if you use it often. The charge plug (waterproof threaded DIN plug) is small, so for a person with big fingers it can be difficult to manipulate, making it easy to cross threaded if you aren't careful.

It has great target separation in iron, comparable to the D1. That's pretty good for a Multi-frequency detector IMO.
I have a Minelab Sovereign, and it was horrible to use in trashy areas.

The D1 will sound off in iron with an iron grunt (iron audio on) with a TID of ~0-1 or 97-99. If I got a TID anywhere in between when relic hunting, it was sure to be a non-ferrous object hiding in the iron. That doesn't work with the D2 in multi-frequency. The D2 will false on iron all over the TID range. When you are looking for non-ferrous hiding in tons of nails, it can be aggravating.
I have had the D1 for 5 yrs and got the D2 in the fall. So not a whole lot of hours on the machine.
You stated it false when in the nails.
I found the opposite actually, so now I have to ask what settings are you doing?
I was running the general program mostly. The other was relic.
I ran only the HF coil on the D1, and I really liked it.
I only hit the hard hit sites with the D2. It pulled many more targets out of the sites.
I'm not sure if there would be much difference in the open areas, but in high concentrated iron sites, D2.
Now there is opinions that say D2 for land, the Manticore for water/Beach.
I don't do much water so it's not a deciding point.
The D2 ID #s are great, no flipping around. If it states a # it will stick with that number right till I retreated the target.
Dug some pretty impressive items in iron.
3 or 4 pieces of iron in the same hole. Some really large pieces, and there's always a nonferrous stuck in there also.

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have had the D1 for 5 yrs and got the D2 in the fall. So not a whole lot of hours on the machine.
I found the opposite actually, so now I have to ask what settings are you doing?
I only hit the hard hit sites with the D2. It pulled many more targets out of the sites.
I'm not sure if there would be much difference in the open areas, but in high concentrated iron sites, D2.
The D2 ID #s are great, no flipping around. If it states a # it will stick with that number right till I retreated the target.
3 or 4 pieces of iron in the same hole. Some really large pieces, and there's always a nonferrous stuck in there also.
I also have not found falsing to be a problem with the D2.

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm hunting farm fields full of nails to large iron (old homesteads) I run the "DEEP HC" with a little modification. I tried "RELIC" and didn't like it. I switch back and forth between single frequency (13k I think), to compare the TID. The audio falsing is the same for both MF and SF, however I get all kinds of varying TID in multi-frequency. When I switch to single frequency, I get either low (below 5) or high (97 and up) but nothing in between. So far I've not found anything in MF that I couldn't find in SF. In fact, the target hits a little harder in SF. Both SF and MF program settings are identical.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread