Any suggestions for education to the want to be miner?

hunterbill

Sep 26, 2012
AK,S.OR,N.Cal
Detector(s) used
MD-20,GMT,Gold Bug pro, Sluice, Dredge, Eyes, ATX, pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of books on the subject so start there. Find some local clubs, if your in a region known for gold, nearby. Those are probably the two best directions you can go. All you need after that is to get out and do it. Luck to ya.

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome Hunterbill,
You made one good step by coming to the forum. Here if you have a question you will get an answer most times several. I agree with Ddancer,Join a local club if one is near you. You will learn more and shorten the learning curve. Watch as many videos on youtube as you can, there are dozens. Many are posted here also. On this forum you can learn everything from laws to claim filing to favorite equipment and items needed to persue gold. Not everyone agrees on equipment but alot of it is personal choice or the situation you are in.

Good Luck!

BH Prospector

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Put your whereabouts into your profile so we know what to say for where. Lots of good books but what titles depend on your location...

OP
OP
H

hunterbill

Sep 26, 2012
AK,S.OR,N.Cal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not sure where it will be. Western North America. Maybe N.Cal,. I just know it is a life goal of mine to own/operate a real gold mine. I'm saving up the bucks and trying to learn what I can from books, forums and (playing in the dirt) I know a little about it and have some nice trophies for my effort. Just want to get seriously educated before stepping into the commercial realm. I would go to school for it if I could find the right class. Anywhere. Found One short course by the Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation out in Colorado I might go to. I have the whole winter off of work so I can really go anywhere.

OP
OP
H

hunterbill

Sep 26, 2012
AK,S.OR,N.Cal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not sure where it will be. Western North America. Maybe N.Cal,. I just know it is a life goal of mine to own/operate a real gold mine. I'm saving up the bucks and trying to learn what I can from books, forums and (playing in the dirt) I know a little about it and have some nice trophies for my effort. Just want to get seriously educated before stepping into the commercial realm. I would go to school for it if I could find the right class. Anywhere. Found One short course by the Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation out in Colorado I might go to. I have the whole winter off of work so I can really go anywhere.

Teenagegoldminer

Jan 28, 2014
georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett gold panning kit
Jobe 36 in drop riffle sluice
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
i would recommend learning about historic gold minning in your area and whatching the tutorials and videos by doc from the gold hog

I learned lots from just whatching him and his guys prospect and he has some cool tutorial videos

Seden

Jan 28, 2008
Go to Youtube and type in Jeff Williams Gold and he'll give you a good education. He's also funny and doesn't drag out the time on his subject. Doc's way to wordy for me,takes too long to explain stuff but whatever you can handle. Also get the book "Fist full of gold" by Chris Ralph.

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heck we have a whole college on the subject.

https://www.mines.edu/

Bazooka Gold Trap, etc. <3
Best of luck!

OP
OP
H

hunterbill

Sep 26, 2012
AK,S.OR,N.Cal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I will look @ that mines.edu/ need some real schooling.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are also welcome to go to my website

Historical Reference Books

In this section, you will find several books that go from basic to advanced mining. They are all old reference books, but the information is just as good now as then! They are all free to download.

Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread