Old Dirtbag

Dec 23, 2015
South
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,

Has anyone heard of anything of value being buried under a pile of rocks?
A friend has some property that has a rumor that Civil War treasure was buried under this pile of rocks.

The pile is definately odd in shape and location and I am 99% sure it is not a grave. His relatives were nervous when talking about it, and that makes him think that something is really buried there.

There is a 100 year old plus marker tree on this property.

KGC???

All info is greatly appreciated.

Juba II

Apr 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have a picture of a pile of rocks
Treasure may be underneath and be a starting center looking at this I mean where rock pile symbolize

OP
OP
O

Old Dirtbag

Dec 23, 2015
South
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't get a good pic of the rock pile due to falling leaves and rocks have been spread due to cattle stepping on them. Rock pile area was roughly an 8x8' square about 2' tall (when we were children), now the pile has been somewhat flattened. Rocks used are from a creek bed about a 1000 ft. away.

Did KGC use such methods to hide valuables?

fmerg

Nov 1, 2008
kingston ny
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
minelab quattro, explorer se pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
more then likely it is a Cairn
a cairn is a carefully built structure of stones rather then a heaped pile of stones. They are known to have been built for such diverse reasons as land parcel boundary markers, celestial alignment markers, as part of Colonial field clearing, and as markers of locations significant to Native Americans.

OP
OP
O

Old Dirtbag

Dec 23, 2015
South
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could be a Cairn. There is a "marker tree" on the same property. It is next to a small "drain" or ravine that only carries water when it is raining. I have heard of flint caches being hidden by Native Americans and marked with odd stones.
Thank You for the info!

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be interesting to me to see what you may find out about it and under it. I would explore with a metal detector for sure. I would think if it was a grave it wouldn't have been so big or a marker tree planted without good significance.

OP
OP
O

Old Dirtbag

Dec 23, 2015
South
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is definately in an odd place. I could understand it's location if the surrounding fields had these type of rocks in them, but these rocks had to be transported from the creek. The rocks are not large and are not cut or shaped. I don't think that is an old chimney.

My friends' Dad was a war veteran and not easily shaken, but he had a "respect" for this site for some reason. He told my friend about the Civil War rumor. Only after the Father's death were cattle turned out in this field.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread