traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My family and I are going on a vacation soon to the Smokies and I’m bringing along my metal detector. Does anyone know of any treasure legends in the Smokies?
Sorry to tell you but you can not use a metal detector in the Great Smoky Mountain National Park. It is against the law. They will seize your detector and possibly fine you, and possible jail time. Read the rules for National Parks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TreasureHuntingPug

TreasureHuntingPug

Jan 5, 2021
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry to tell you but you can not use a metal detector in the Great Smoky Mountain National Park. It is against the law. They will seize your detector and possibly fine you, and possible jail time. Read the rules for National Parks.
Oh shoot, thanks for letting me know.

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh shoot, thanks for letting me know.
No problem my friend. Just trying to help and save you some trouble. They can seize your detector, vehicle, fine you, and there could be jail time. MOST likely they would just take your detector. And if you ran into the right ranger, they may just tell you it is against park rules and tell you to leave. I would never take the chance for too many places to dig that are legal. So have heart and good hunting. Just not in the park.

metrotec

Jan 5, 2020
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites, Radio Shack, Metrotec, peach tree fork
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go traveller, saved his arse. They (Park Rangers ) are even dye marking ginseng, so you cannot sell it on the open market. Roots show up purple under ultra violet light.
Every thing belongs to the Government.
Blind hog can find an acorn, until he got a Covid shot, now he can.t smell. Dead Hog.

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go traveller, saved his arse. They (Park Rangers ) are even dye marking ginseng, so you cannot sell it on the open market. Roots show up purple under ultra violet light.
Every thing belongs to the Government.
Blind hog can find an acorn, until he got a Covid shot, now he can.t smell. Dead Hog.
Thank you, metro. It could have been bad if had whipped out that detector in the park and the right ranger came along. And you are exactly right on the government. And I did not know that about seng. But I stay away from the Smokies for it has become way to crowded for me. I cannot breathe up there for all the cars and people. I like the more remote parts of the mountains. Hard to find remote spots now though.

Fireflash

May 24, 2022
No problem my friend. Just trying to help and save you some trouble. They can seize your detector, vehicle, fine you, and there could be jail time. MOST likely they would just take your detector. And if you ran into the right ranger, they may just tell you it is against park rules and tell you to leave. I would never take the chance for too many places to dig that are legal. So have heart and good hunting. Just not in the park.

Can Park Rangers search backpacks if I'm on foot in the Smokies park ? And can they search my vehicle if it's in the park ?

I have modified my detector so it breaks down to be carried in a laptop-sized backpack. I am not intentionally concealing it but it is not noticeable I am carrying a detector unless my pack is opened.

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can Park Rangers search backpacks if I'm on foot in the Smokies park ? And can they search my vehicle if it's in the park ?

I have modified my detector so it breaks down to be carried in a laptop-sized backpack. I am not intentionally concealing it but it is not noticeable I am carrying a detector unless my pack is opened.
Probable cause and search/seizure laws apply. We should obey the law.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Traveller is correct, no detecting in any national park, national seashore or federal property.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread