Any Wheelchair MD users out there?

tokameel

May 20, 2012
Mequon, Wi
Detector(s) used
In 1974- White.
Now a Garrett Ace 250.
8/30/12 using a Zircon m40 Stud Finder as a hand held pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi All,
I am a new member and I love all of these treasure find stories.
In my previous life (before disability in the 1970s) I loved hunting with my 13 AA battery powered, non-discriminating White metal detector. But now I must use a manual wheelchair with metal foot rests. Has anyone else overcome this challenge?
I am thinking that I should just extend the pole, on whatever unit that I get, to allow for wide sweeps so the chair won't react with the coil. Any help would be great.
Thanks!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Toka, Would that be Mequon, WI? Or where? Welcome to the net! A wheelchair is a challenge, to be sure. If you are near me in CA or AZ, or even the homestate of WI, I'll be your "aide de chair" and see to it you get to find some STUFF! I have a bad back. I can get support from the chair. We can adapt, improvise, and overcome... together. What say you? Terry

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Annapolis Junction, Maryland
Primary Interest:
Other
Although I'm not in a wheel chair, I have learn to deal with allot of challenges in my life time.. getting hit head on by a car in the 80's did present allot of issues later on in life.. Sure I'm walking a litter slower these days and looking down to watch where I step.. One false step and my back is out for months.. Once I even stepped off the MTA bus.. and my knee went out.. I ended up flat on my face in the middle of the road. One main challenge I was able to over come was the fact that my camera couldn't be held in the typical 4 finger approach.. so I created a handle and I'll never have to worry about dropping the camera again..

I can't say I have anything of real importance or any suggestions to offer, other then the fact that once you get involved.. I sort of liek the idea that your wheel chair could be an all terrain vehicle.. with the MDer mounted on one of the arms.. of course it will be difficult to recover the found items.. but if it was me?.. my wife would there every step of the way.. So I guess team up with your mate or a group of explorers.

DirtAngler

Jun 18, 2011
SE Pa
Detector(s) used
MX5, M6, GPP, TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a guy on 1 of the other forums that metal detects in a wheelchair, not sure which forum or his username. Search and maybe you can find him and he can help you.

OP
OP
tokameel

tokameel

May 20, 2012
Mequon, Wi
Detector(s) used
In 1974- White.
Now a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks folks! I am in Meqoun, Wi. Thanks for the offers of help but right now I am out of work and I'm trying to get a feel for what kind of MD I should get that would be the best fit for me. Looking to spend under $300.

Tag team detecting sounds like a great idea. I could swing and find targets and then a partner could mark the spots. Then I could get on my hands & knees and we'd both dig. It would be great exercise for me! However, it would get old fast on a rainy day:)
Thanks again.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey buddy! Mequon is a supburb of my hometown, Milwaukee. I will be up there this summer. I'll get you out there detecting. Don't buy a machine just yet. I will send you one. Brand new.... only..... it will remain mine. That way, if you find detecting to be too hard, you are not out the cash. PM me for details. I'm serious, friend. TTC

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Tokameel,other chair users here. backtrack todays finds for a couple posts. Yes thats me ruffling f feathers. I have the good fortune of one leg to use allbeit with a bad knee. First i acquired a beater chair with filled tires. Future modification for outdoor use can be left in place. Not using a footrest yet,but have considered making a wood one .possibly with a heavy p.v.c. hanger .maybe a full width platform across front of chair. Most recoveries of targets made by leaning forward from chair. Some i transfer, no knees possible so i sit. Had to start slow to build strength .detectors have been run using armrest for support,a pivot point could be fabricated if strength an issue. Keeping coil level the goal here. Heading out for a week but will on return try to catch up with you. Sure theres a way for you. TerryC good man! I,d try running detector using stock foot rests first. Tokameel feel free to p.m. if needed.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet, tokameel. You got a point about that interference from the chair. Could there maybe be some sort of deflector we could come up with? You're welcome here in Colorado, too. Where you will find...square nails. Lots of them. And bullets. And more square nails. But any find's a find! TerryC speaks straight from the heart, and I will admit he's alright for a damn Yankee!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to Tnet, tokameel. You got a point about that interference from the chair. Could there maybe be some sort of deflector we could come up with? You're welcome here in Colorado, too. Where you will find...square nails. Lots of them. And bullets. And more square nails. But any find's a find! TerryC speaks straight from the heart, and I will admit he's alright for a damn Yankee!
Damn Yankee? Is there any other kind? Ha ha! PM me, Tokameel, let's get this gig GOING! TTC

ynpto804

Jan 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Sun-ray X-5 coil and X-1 Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not a wheel chair user but I know I have seen a few on the beach made from all PVC used for going in to the ocean. That might be a idea and you wouldnt have to worry about the metal of the chair. Hope it helps best of luck and welcome to T-net.
images

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Tokameel... I think you could never find a nicer or better person than TerryC ...... Terry for you to make a offer like that makes you the best of the best........... Bless you Terry for you have more heart than any one i know...... Any one should be happy to have you as a friend......... Tokameel i hope every thing works out great for you.........

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh, Kep, I'm just a sentimental old fool trying to give back the chances I got. I gave him a PM. The ball's in his court now. Tnx. TTC

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh, Kep, I'm just a sentimental old fool trying to give back the chances I got. I gave him a PM. The ball's in his court now. Tnx. TTC
Thats ok Terry ... I know were you are coming from... And that is great thing for you to offer.....

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok, Kokameel. I talked with Raul at KellyCo. The detector will be on the way shortly. Practice up! I will be a hard taskmaster! Have fun. TTC

OP
OP
tokameel

tokameel

May 20, 2012
Mequon, Wi
Detector(s) used
In 1974- White.
Now a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
Other
THANKS TERRYC!!
I think that this will inspire me to get me off my butt, so to speak, and get some fresh air.

I am .......... without words.

Tokameel

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My pleasure, friend. We will talk again by telephone. Tokameel.... I hope you don't mind I tell everyone that your screenname is the initials of all in your family. NEAT! Take care, my friend. Terry

OP
OP
tokameel

tokameel

May 20, 2012
Mequon, Wi
Detector(s) used
In 1974- White.
Now a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
Other
Okay TerryC, I came up with my screen name, Tokameel, in early 1994 to use on AOL. It is the first 2 letters of my name, also wife's, daughter and the son that we were trying to adopt from Panama (back when I had a good job). He is a Choco Indian born missing rt. leg, half of his left arm, a cleft-palate that went up to the eyebrow and asthma. Other than that he was in great shape (sorry).
His indian name was Eliaquin- the el in tokameel.
My wife, 6 year old daughter Meg and I brought him home to Milwaukee a few days before Christmas 1994.

It was important to us that he learn to swim and he took to it like a fish to...well, you know.
We changed his name to Alex cuz nobody would know how to pronounce or spell Eliaquin, or know what the gender is.

He is now a Junior in collage AND trying to be invited back to the Paralympics. He made the swim finals in Beijing 2008. He won fourth place in the 400 freestyle. He swims as a "S7", the degree of disability. So please keep him in your thoughts and hopes, so he can earn his way to the London Paralympics this summer. Thanks!

I know that this is a M.D. forum so I will justify this story by saying that the real Treasures I've found are my family and my new friends here, especially TerryC.

Tokameel

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Okay TerryC, I came up with my screen name, Tokameel, in early 1994 to use on AOL. It is the first 2 letters of my name, also wife's, daughter and the son that we were trying to adopt from Panama (back when I had a good job). He is a Choco Indian born missing rt. leg, half of his left arm, a cleft-palate that went up to the eyebrow and asthma. Other than that he was in great shape (sorry).
His indian name was Eliaquin- the el in tokameel.
My wife, 6 year old daughter Meg and I brought him home to Milwaukee a few days before Christmas 1994.

It was important to us that he learn to swim and he took to it like a fish to...well, you know.
We changed his name to Alex cuz nobody would know how to pronounce or spell Eliaquin, or know what the gender is.

He is now a Junior in collage AND trying to be invited back to the Paralympics. He made the swim finals in Beijing 2008. He won fourth place in the 400 freestyle. He swims as a "S7", the degree of disability. So please keep him in your thoughts and hopes, so he can earn his way to the London Paralympics this summer. Thanks!

I know that this is a M.D. forum so I will justify this story by saying that the real Treasures I've found are my family and my new friends here, especially TerryC.

Tokameel
Tom, others should also know that Eliaquin holds the world's swim record for his disability class! A treasure indeed! Take care, my friend. TTC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
@Terry, Just sent TN a message asking them to nominate you for a banner.
Thanks for the pat on the back, Jeep! No banner needed. My "banner" will be seeing Tom get out of the wheelchair and DIG! And to know others will do the same for someone else. Tnx. TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread