anybody care to comment on this? has this been worked or is the treasure still there

buccaneer1961

Mar 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
November 2005 - MELBOURNE, FL - A flintlock pistol, a sword and a cannon possibly used by ancient mariners are making history teacher Tom Funk and his fellow ocean explorers eager for next year's diving season to arrive. They found the weapons in late August from a shipwreck about a half-mile off Melbourne Beach, north of the Sebastian Inlet, and plan to search the wreck more when diving conditions are at their best, usually about late May to October.

Funk and his partners hope the wreck is from the famed 1715 Spanish Silver Plate Fleet. The fleet of 11 galleons set sail from Havana in 1715 laden with jewels, gold and silver, but ran into a hurricane along Florida's east coast. "Ten of the 11 ships were destroyed," said Funk, an archaeologist who teaches history at Satellite High School, in Satellite Beach. "Seven have more or less been found."

The shipwreck sites include spots near Fort Pierce and Sebastian, and the ships' high-value cargo gave the Treasure Coast its name. For the past decade, Funk and his partners have been surveying, exploring and researching what might be another of the treasure ships, in 43 feet of water off Melbourne Beach.

While exploring the wreck in late August, they found several artifacts that boosted their hopes. "Our artifact collection is pretty interesting," Funk said. "We have enough artifacts, I think, to show what period they belong to." There's the intact, silver-handled pistol and what appears to be a boarding sword, which has a curved blade and was known to be used by fighting mariners. The collection also includes some cannon balls, pewter plates and a stack of silver platters, which Funk said are beautifully embossed. "They look like a big turkey platter," he said. "We're sending (the collection) to a conservation lab for more study."

In the meantime, Funk and his partners will work on renewing the salvaging permits they need from various state agencies, such as the state Division of Historical Resources. Permitted salvagers can end up owning items they find, but 20 percent of the value of found treasure goes to the state.

The dive site worked by Funk's team stretches diagonally for perhaps a mile. The team includes members of Heartland Treasure Quest, from Georgia and Florida; Amelia Research Co., of Amelia Island; and Florida Research and Recovery, a group of investors primarily from Georgia.

A principle of Heartland Treasure Quest is Sebastian resident Rex Stocker, who was a member of the Real Eight Co. The Real Eight Co. worked with the famed Mel Fisher's Treasure Salvors Inc. in the 1960s to recover millions of dollars worth of treasure from the 1715 Fleet shipwrecks.

Taffi Fisher Abt, Fisher's daughter and the director of Mel Fisher's Treasure Museum in Sebastian, said she's interested to hear more about the items found by Funk and his partners. "It's quite possible this wreck is one of the 1715 Fleet," she said. "I have not seen any of these artifacts, and I haven't seen their log sheets, so I don't know for sure

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Tom is still waiting for his permit from the state.

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
[h=2]"has this been worked or is the treasure still there"[/h]The first question to answer is whether it ever WAS there. If it was not one of the ships of The 1715 Plate Fleet it may have carried then-valuable perishable goods like dyes and tobacco. There have been many,many ships foundered and lost on the east coast of Florida. Not all carried what we now consider treasure.

OP
OP
B

buccaneer1961

Mar 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what is the timeframe? when one applies for a permit how long does it take before you hear back from the state?

OP
OP
B

buccaneer1961

Mar 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so its possible it might not be from the famous 1715 wreck but a goods/commodity type ship?

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
what is the timeframe? when one applies for a permit how long does it take before you hear back from the state?

First you apply for a search permit. You may get that in 90 days or less. Then you do a mag survey, sides can survey, take photographs etc. and turn everything over to the state. One year later you apply for an excavation permit. It may take 20 years to get one. Maybe never. All this time the state has all your info.

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
so its possible it might not be from the famous 1715 wreck but a goods/commodity type ship?

That would be an affirmative. As I recall they had dated that pistola to 1709, so it is likely from a time period contemporary to the 1715 Fleet, but there are just so many wrecked ships....To wit: here is a partial list of Florida shipwrecks - FLORIDA SHIPWRECKS

OP
OP
B

buccaneer1961

Mar 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow,so if it was even applied for,it would show up on the occules site? I cant spell it,for all to see...and no guarantee it would ever come?

OP
OP
B

buccaneer1961

Mar 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok,so I guess its a crapshoot until it can be surveyed...then determined exactly what it was carrying etc

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Addendum to my earlier comments: I am not saying that this wreck is not a 1715 Plate Fleet wreck. I hope it is! I'd love to see them identify this wreck, make additions to the historical record and recover millions in treasure (especially if it generated information allowing us to make the next big find :))
As Salvor 6 points out, the first huge hurdle is to find the wreck and do the survey. The next HUGE hurdle is to actually get the State of Florida to issue a salvage permit.

This next may be a good idea: There is little we can do to make it easier for ourselves and/or others to find and identify wrecks -treasure and otherwise -the one thing we all...as a community of treasure hunters/enthusiasts...might be able to do is to put pressure on the State of Florida to make getting exploration and salvage permits somewhat easier, or at least more predictable. I think Gov. Scott would be much more likely to agree to this than now-candidate Crist, so perhaps if the election comes out with Scott as the winner we could do some sort of letter writing campaign to get the Bureau of Hysterical Reactions back under the control of sensible humans and make it possible to get back to the business of finding, recovering and documenting underwater artifacts, historical and otherwise.

grossmusic

Jul 19, 2013
Cape Canaveral
Detector(s) used
I detect the history: I've visited archives up & down the entire US East Coast, Bahamas, Jamaica, Kew, The Hague, etc. Have yet to go to Seville or S.American archives.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
we could do some sort of letter writing campaign to get the Bureau of Hysterical Reactions back under the control of sensible humans and make it possible to get back to the business of finding, recovering and documenting underwater artifacts, historical and otherwise.

I'm all for that.

But you're right that it is probably prudent to wait for the election results, so let's all make a date to return here in November (or maybe wait till after re-inauguration?) & start a thread/campaign. Even if Crist wins, it's worth a shot (so hard to refrain from political commentary!).

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cobs consistent with the 1715 fleet have been found on the beach at Indialantic.
IMHO it is impossible for them to have been carried by storms/wave action from wrecks in the Sebastian Inlet area.
I believe it is impossible to say whether or not the wreck these guys are working is one of the 1715's at this time. As ropesfish says, there are many wrecks in the area.
Also, it is my belief there other scenarios to consider on how cobs have found their way into the surf zone at Indialantic.
They could have come from an original 1715 fleet vessel...or they could have come from a 1715 salvage vessel (Spanish or otherwise).

It is possibly suggestive that though cobs have been found in the Melbourne Beach area, they have not been found in nearly the pocket concentrations as in the Vero Beach Sebastian area (at least as far as I know !!).

The coins could have come from a deep water wreck and been carried to shore on the floating bodies of victims, for instance.

SteveS

Apr 29, 2007
Lots of coins from 1715 era have been found on the beach by the old Chuck's Steak House. Wonder if someone has finally found the wreck those coins came from. We looked offshore back in the 90's but vis was usually lousy and sand was deep. Sounds like a real interesting find! Keep us posted!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread