Anybody ever do their genealogy?

Nevada Prospector

Aug 16, 2017
Southern Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher GB II, Etc, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, I had the DNA test also. A couple weeks ago I found some Spanish (minimal) ancestry. That got me going and got my car rear back onto the couch and in front of the computer. I thought how cool to have a conquistador in my lineage. Wrong again.

All the family rumors were true. Yes, one of my ancestors did marry an American Indian. But it was not John Wheat who supposedly married a Cherokee. It was my OTHER ancestor John Rolfe who married Matoaka Rebecca Pocahontas! Surprise! Here dad was Powhatan. They make movies about these people. Also found so many familiar names in colonial Virginia and Maryland it stumps your brain! We took one line back into Scotland to Robert the Bruce, and several more generations back from him. Maximillian I, Holy Roman Emperor is in there, and that line goes back to the 1100's but wait there's more! I have 15 generations on some lines. Yeah, we been there, done that. I visited Jamestown, Virginia on Monday just because. It is really odd to see a status of your ancestor at the National Park. Odd. That's a pic of good ole' Max. Those folks didn't live long...that started changing after they came to America. Back in the 1600's a lot of my ancestors lived in their 70's, 80's, 90's and a couple to 100. Back before then, thirties to fifties. Too much plague.
Hey cat man,

You and my wife are related as she is a direct descendant of Powhatan's brother. (sorry but I can't spell it) I am also part Indian although not as famous and from the Osage tribe. I am more Indian that the wife but not as famous. Neither of us look very much native American but I might look it a small amount at times. --JIm

tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
ShadowX2, TEJON, Eyes, Pony Shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, I did almost all of my American genealogy 40years ago so my mother could get into the DAR. I was successful. DNA studies revealed some American Indian Ancestry and Welsh, Scottish, English, and most recently Spanish? Spanish, like what? A marrooned conquistador? So...I did get some answers recently. You do any research on yours?
I haven't done my DNA but my sister did. So she got "our" mtDNA (maternal) which showed that Oetzi the Iceman was in the same general mtDNA haplogroup as we are LOLOL. My ancestry done many years ago and likely not perfect or correct showed ancestors going back to Queen of England and Charlemagne... At some distant point we are ALL related. Mind blown

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been trying but so many relations spelled the last name differently. At least 7 variations . And the place of birth can vary from census to census even though all other info matches. Arrgg!! And cousins marrying cousins. My mom's mother died when my mom was a baby. Her mother's mother also died on Christmas day when SHE was a baby. Hard to find info on the women. Glad my mom broke the curse!
Best thing to do is to get a Ancestry membership for a few months. There is so much information there including birth, death and marriage records plus links to everyone who may be researching that same family. Doing their DNA test will also give you a list of people your DNA matches to plus the probably connection

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
My family made it easy for us.....This is the last printed version they did, the one that was updated in 2000 something was done electronically.

My brother and I have traced our family back another 2 or 3 generations than the book and filled in some of the missing names and dates.

Shows one of my many greats GF and his son supporting the American Revolution with materials and money. A sister of my many greats GF was married to a Col who served during the American Revolution. My GG GFs Civil War service with the Confederacy. There's a picture of him sometime in the early 1900s at his birthday party.

During the last trip to visit the wife's family I made a stop by Antietam Battlefield with a personal purpose this time. My Great Great Grandfather Pvt J.C. Bernhardt CSA was in the North Carolina State Regiment, 1st North Carolina Cavalry, Company F, and was at Antietam. The unit information was not known to me during earlier visits. So this time I had the information to find where he was, they bivouac in a field in the Nicodemus Heights, so to stand upon the same field that he once stood upon was an experience that sent chills up my spine.

Shows the family tree starting in Germany and shows who stayed in Germany and who immigration to the US, what ship they sailed on etc.

It's pretty damn cool, and did all the legwork for the future generations to build upon.

First page of the book shows 3 different Coat of Arms registered/associated to/with the family.

20211007_160930.jpg

20211007_204554.jpg

Last edited:

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been doing mine off & on for about 32 years. Found some neat things but having a hard time with getting records over in Norway, Sweden & Denmark past my Great-Grandparents.

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
My son did the DNA test and it supports the family tree on my side and my wife's side

On my dad's side we are of German descent, my mom was from Holland. My wife's side there is German and UK descendants.

20211007_203918.jpg

Last edited:

Nevada Prospector

Aug 16, 2017
Southern Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher GB II, Etc, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Other
I,m just an American mongrel!I really don,t want my DNA out there any more than it may already be.
I didn't get the DNA test either for the same reasons. My wife, daughter and brother got their tests done. Everything agreed with our family history, of course it was well documented already. Now if I could only get my wife to make me a pair of moccasins!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crashbandicoot-Hi cousin! John I is in my tree also. I was so freaked out I had to take a trip to Jamestown, VA on Monday. To recapitulate: Seems my 13th great grandfather was named Thomas Rolfe. His dad was named John Rolfe and his mom Matoaka Rebecca Pocohontas. Yeah, that's right. And then for more fun, a few hours ago while researching another line I found out another 13th great grandfather on that line was named John Rogers. His dad, Thomas, with brother Jacob, came to the new world on the freaking Mayflower. It took a few hours to make sure it was correct, but it is. John's marriage in 1639 in Plymouth, Mass nailed it. And here I am, a history buff, not knowing we made the history. It is humbling. And I thank God Almighty I live in this age. When we don't all die by age 50. Of the plague.

I have actually detected a few places my ancestors owned over 300 years ago. Not on parks, duh. I also had the DNA thing. Where did the ardvark lineage come into play? (kidding)

Radon

Oct 4, 2006
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Nox 800
My great aunt traced her lineage back to the Mayflower to be able to join the Mayflower Society. With that, I know I am related to John Howland and Elizabeth Tilley of the Mayflower. My youngest daughter just married a fellow with the last name Bradford, and yes, he is from that Bradford family. In Governor Bradford's writings he told the story of when John Howland was swept off the deck of the Mayflower during a storm, and was only saved because he caught onto a rope that was trailing the ship. John married teenaged Elizabeth because both of her parents died during that first winter. They went on to have around 10 children.
Through some research in online genealogical sites, I found that I also am related to the bad King John. So I see I have some cousins here. Welcome to the family!

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lol! I am using ancestry! So much conflicting info on spelling and birth state! It would help if everyone did not name their kids John! And knew how to spell their last name.

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My maternal grandfather did a lot of research before the internet was a thing...he traced his paternal ancestry back to 1650s Massachusetts. His family was from Maine and he found where there was a land grant in what is now Maine to an ancestor for his service in the French & Indian War.

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Gidday Amigos

Did my family research came from a long line of dirt assed poor landless Irish whipping donkeys. When not being indentured slave labourers doing jobs no one else wanted having the whip cracked. We was used as Cheap Expendable cannon fodder on the whims of our masters to fight in wars to keep others in luxury. And when all used up flogged, broken and worthless left to wallow in destitution and poverty.

Well now its old Crow's turn to hold the whip.

Crow

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have done quite a lot of research, but have never done the DNA thing, from what I hear it is too unreliable as far as determining where your ancestors came from. I read an article about two identical twins who sent theirs in and got totally different results.

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
That should help you in your role as Moderator!!!!!!!!!!
Gidday Amigos

I am torn with DNA testing. Part of me would like to be tested for historical origins.

Yet I have reservations about the accuracy as so claimed. And more importantly what happens to these DNA samples? Who owns the genetic information this is allegedly you exclusively?

Can your DNA data be on-sold to private companies or employment agencies perhaps to be used in the elimination process of job Application resulting in discrimination by DNA? Such if you might be genetically predisposed to certain illness etc.? For me not a problem as I am retired anyway, But It see that as further impediment for younger people entering the workforce in future?

Will law enforcement have legal access to DNA through Ancestory? Will Ancestory monitize its data base to law enforcement?

While I am not against it being used to solve crime and exonerate those who had been falsely accused of crime.

My fear is that the cost consensus governments is placing as of late too much of their investigations in just DNA as the magic bullet to solve crime.
And relying too much on the assumption that DNA is infallible. Especially determination of samples by lab technicians. As the following case shows below.

How conclusive is DNA

What is the protections from you DNA sample being sold on the dark web? Can your sample be weaponized against you in the future?

DNA targeted germ warfare?

What are the safe guards? Will private health medical funds or insurance companies use DNA in pricing of insurance premiums?

Can private companies or even government be trusted with such data???????

Think about it!

Just a hypothetical say you sold some items at garage sale say a glass ash try for example with your prints on DNA can be extracted from the sweat of finger prints these days. That ash tray ends up in a house where some one is murdered. And you print and DNA is at crime scene. How hard would it be to jury or a judge to believe your claim of not being at the crime scene?

The point is its all too easy to believe DNA is infallible.

Crow

Last edited:

MetalArchSC

Feb 14, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey cat man,

You and my wife are related as she is a direct descendant of Powhatan's brother. (sorry but I can't spell it) I am also part Indian although not as famous and from the Osage tribe. I am more Indian that the wife but not as famous. Neither of us look very much native American but I might look it a small amount at times. --JIm
Cat man. Lol.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread