Anybody ever pay a landowner for permission to detect?

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK everybody. lets say you found this terrific area to detect. You know its a great spot because you have researched it thoroughly, and it has NEVER been detected. It's a very big area and had alot of traffic (thousands) starting in the 1890's for approximately 2 or 3 decades. It's big enough that you can detect it for years and never be hunted out. I haven't narrowed the last year when it was utilized in its heyday, however, thru my research I'd say 1930's but no later than 1940. All I can think about all the dropped coins there over the years. Question is.....................

Has anybody ever paid or would you pay a landowner to detect? And in this case above..............Would you and how much would you pay for unlimited access for the rest of 2020 to detect?

Thanks for your feedback, Rich

CalReg

May 3, 2020
San Jose, CA
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000, Simplex, Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've only had a handful of permissions to detect on private property, and no one has asked for money. I guess it would have to depend on the potential of the site versus what they are asking you to pay...

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
guys advertise on Craigs list wanting to hunt in my area , they offer $ 50 a day . I could never pay that much but would pay $ 20 for the day.
rest of the year ? surely not $ 20 a day then.

some group hunts pay thousands for a weekend hunt on known and proven civil war sites ,then charge members a couple hundred to join in .

HeatherM

Apr 12, 2020
Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you assuming they won't say yes if you just ask to detect it (for free)?

SultansOfSwing

Dec 28, 2016
NH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 - & ProPointer AT-------

Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought about it at some of the still standing colonial taverns in my area. That was the plan this year to bring $50 each (3 of us) and knock some of the nice mid 1700s homes. But covid got in the way of that. Sticking to the woods this year till everything settles down.

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not unless I had an iron-clad agreement. If you're desperate enough to pay to detect their land, the owners know there's gonna be something there, and they will be watching like a hawk.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you assuming they won't say yes if you just ask to detect it (for free)?

Nope, just making sure whatever I find is mine to keep. I've dealt with too many land owners who will let me detect, but want everything I find! I feel like smacking them upside the head when they state that to me. Do you really think I'm detecting just for the fun of it and for the joy I see in your eyes when I hand you a gold ring or a 1700's coin? Get a clue, guys. If you want that deal, pay me $50 an hour and you can keep everything I find. I don't work for free, period.

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't start with that deal but sure I'd pay to have a go at a spot like that. In my area there have been spots I was absolutely sure that they would produce stuff and then I get completely skunked. It could go either way.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was involved with a group of us that paid a caretaker some money to let us hunt an old mansion he was tending to.

USMC Reaper

May 23, 2015
Abbeville, S.C.
Detector(s) used
MineLab CTX 3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’d pay in a heartbeat. If you secure the deal you will always have a good place to go, I would ask for exclusive rights to hunt if I were to pay.

Good Luck

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never had to pay to hunt a permission, but if this one is that old and it has never been hunted, I'd offer them $20.00 for the day, and see how your finds stack up. If it seems worth a trip back, offer another $20.00 per day that you hunt, but I'd make the best of it and plan on an 8 hour hunt each day.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't start with that deal but sure I'd pay to have a go at a spot like that. In my area there have been spots I was absolutely sure that they would produce stuff and then I get completely skunked. It could go either way.
Did you got skunked by a real skunk?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have "rented" a farm field for a week this year. I got a lot of stuff, the corn is now planted and up so it will be 2021 for next time out assuming the world doesn't end and covid doesn't get us all.

It's nice to have somone on your side, so to speak, and give you all the tips and so on. And its nice not to have to look over your shoulder. This is the only place I paid an individual.

Those pay to dig group digs offer about the same thing, but I get a lot more at this one farm.

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alcohol Is always a good payment for permissions. Be it a case of beer or a fifth of whiskey, it seems to help with secondary permissions being granted. I can tell you this works, I've done this numerous times.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In a word, no.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have thought about approaching local landowners and asking about leasing detecting rights like they do with deer and turkey hunters. it would be in the deal that I only detect when the hunters are not on the land and there are no crops planted where I want to detect. That way the landowner can tell others the land is leased and I have a site to hunt.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do have one house I'd love to detect in a historic area known to produce goodies, looks untouched.
He flies a rainbow flag though, something tells me he would have a hissy fit if I asked, or if he did say yes he would hover over me like a drone. Would I pay ? No.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread