Anybody have good ideas on how to get rid of skunks?

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

freeman

Apr 5, 2003
You get a black cat, paint a white stripe down its back and spray it with french perfume.

Works every time.

plp.jpg

Lawsonrj55

Oct 19, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have trouble with skunks during the summer here in Indiana. The females like to get under the neighbors mini barn. I have been read that throwing orange and lemon peelings around the yard will keep them away. It's a cheap thing to try. Good luck!

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have trouble with skunks during the summer here in Indiana. The females like to get under the neighbors mini barn. I have been read that throwing orange and lemon peelings around the yard will keep them away. It's a cheap thing to try. Good luck!
Read that too. Supposed to work. But it may have been the orange and lemon growers association that spread that.

Sandflea

Greenie
Nov 27, 2012
Western Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So we have an old 3-stall garage that is impossible to seal up tightly. It has standard garage stuff plus we keep packing materials for the business in it (pallets of boxes, packing peanuts, &c). Outside, against one wall, is our firewood, a couple of full cords stacked. This winter, for the first time, we have skunk essence emanating from the garage, any time we open it. We used to have problems with squirrels but we were able to close up the problems on the backside foundation where those were coming in. The skunks I think come in from the front - the garage has shifted over the years and now the three tracked garage doors do not evenly touch the ground, but are cocked with enough space on one side of them for critters to go in.

I live within town limits that would prohibit the use of firearms as a cure.

Any ideas?
Put a dish of ammonia by the door opening, they use their noses for food source, it also works for racoons, if they are in there already it will persuade them to leave.

OP
OP
CreakyDigger

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Put a dish of ammonia by the door opening, they use their noses for food source, it also works for racoons, if they are in there already it will persuade them to leave.
I will keep that in mind and may end up using it. Right now piss poor pop country music at a loud level seems to be working, but we can't do that forever.

augoldminer

Jan 7, 2013
high desert goldfields
Detector(s) used
gold master V-sat
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i had a pet skunk once, kept the neighbors dogs out of the yard and never was descented. as the neighbors found out when there dogs came home.
animal control found out and we were told we could not keep it.
so the next night i released it at the animal control office.
i hope they liked it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread