Anyone ever detect an archie site?

F

free2Dtect

I know this may sound strange, but where I live, I have hunted their digs with them right there. As long as I'm not in their holes, they are ok with it. They know my detector is not going to find the bones and pottery they are looking for. They hunt the trash pits of the native Americans. They dig down to the ground level of 5-6 hundred years ago. They are in holes 4-6 feet deep. I've never had any problems with them at all. I wonder if others have had good relations with them. Out East where all these problems are seems hard to imagine in my area. Why i hunt these areas is they are right in town. Get a lot of old coins and they know it too. I was told some of the leaders at the sites have detectors too.

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe they've gone Extinct in my area. I havn't heard of a dig within a hundred mile radius EVER . unless your counting Ameatures

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Penn State most likely has one too, but thats a good distance away, so Honestly don't know

horseshoe

Greenie
Jan 31, 2005
southeastern ohio
The only time they work around here is right before a new road or something similar is proposed. Found a site where Indians lived when I was in my teens. Took stone ax head and other tools to local museum and resident archaeologist told them more stuff there. Didn't seem to be interested so I kept everything, still have it! For some reason I never have my detector at the same time as I stumble onto archaeology sites.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Hey f2D, it is a regional thing. The old stratification and classism existing in/between members of society. Your local archies are working an area where they feel comfortable with the locals, in this case yourself, and the interference or effect of your hunting on the integrity of the site.

Ealrier last year I knew of a site near Peoria where a town had a closed down trailer park. They wanted to put a park and playground there and discovered an early riverfront Peoria site. The Peoria were well distributed and we know much about them, but the archies stepped in and told the town to close the site. The town then casually encouraged people to hunt the site at their liesure, their answer to outsiders telling them how to treat their own neighborhood. The site is now a "protected" archeological site by order. Guess we all can't just get along after all in the real world.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread