anyone ever make a "target stick"?

KY PI

Sep 19, 2011
Northeastern Kentucky
Detector(s) used
White's MXT PRO
Several years ago when I bought my White's MXT the dealer had a "target stick" that he used to demonstrate the machine. It was several black plastic strips that had targets attached (glued?) to the end. A different target on each strip. I have a friend who just bought a new machine and is having problems and I was thinking of making a similar item using paint stirring sticks but I'm not sure as to the best way to attach the targets so as to not affect the target's VDI. Any suggestions? If I can get him started with this I will also help him make a "test garden" with targets buried at different depths. Thanks in advance for any suggestions for a type of glue/silicone or whatever. HH

Upvote 0

shawninNY

Oct 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Xlt/Dfx/BHID , Excaliber, nowCtx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glue or silicone or tape if you want your targets back.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It doesn't matter what you use to stick them as long as it's not conductive.

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
GOOP works great and is easily removed if you choose to.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone used to sell those. They were on a set of plastic "feeler gauge" designed paddles. I think I still have one somewhere around here.....haven't seen it in years. The targets were glued on with something....silicone or epoxy. Either would work if you're going to make one.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good practice for detecting flying coins. You're better off putting the coin in a Mylar flip and setting it on the ground.

I bury a test garden as most coins I look for are in the soil. ;-)

Last edited:

n3umw

Greenie
Jul 16, 2006
Germantown MD
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab X70, Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I glue mine to white poker chips. Does not take up much space and hard to lose.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
For the beach you can put your targets in a plastic ziplock bag to prevent them from sinking!
Otherwise I have glued the targets to the paint stir stick with Titebond!

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Many may disagree with me but the test stick won't work any better than throwing a coin on the ground. That's what a detector is for is to find hidden or buried coins. Same goes for a test garden. I made one but I also threw in some bottle caps, tabs and a cpl of cans close to the coins. That gave me some sort of a reality check for when i was in the field. We all know bottle caps, tabs and cans can ring up as good target and we end up making false digs but many of what we may think are false digs turn out to be jewelry or good silver.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread