Fisher 1236-x2, fisher cz3d and cz 20, tesoro golden sabre II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The F5 is the early template for the newer Teknetics and Bounty Hunter (Frats Bros) machines at 7.69khz. The F5 is often considered by many as the best of the bunch because of the feature set. Performance however is very similar to the other Frat Bros machines as far as depth/recovery speed/unmasking etc etc....especially the ones that have manual Ground Balance (Land Ranger Pro, Gamma, Omega)

It is very stable because it is not anywhere as hot as the F75. The depth differences are probably more like 3-4 inches with the F75 being deeper and a much better ID at depth.

If you can spend a little more...most dealers are offering the anniversary F75 for $500 with a phone call.

OP
OP
eddiecurrent

eddiecurrent

Dec 25, 2015
Treasure coast Fl.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Hunter, I'm on the treasure coast, and most of the time I beach hunt with an upgraded cz-20, but it's a little heavy for the dry sand.
I'm in the hurricane eyewall target, all boarded up and waiting for the first chance to hitail it to the beaches by the 1715 plate fleet wrecks. Hoping to find my first Spanish reale or...ahem...escoudo.
I've been doing this post-hurricane hunting for 20 yrs..

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Just do a Google search with the name Mike Hillis and the words F5, settings, and so on.
He is a guru with many detectors but he has been able to get deep into the settings, the relationship between the gain, thresh and disc, and figured out how to do more amazing things with this one than most others.
His many posts from over the years and theories on settings and how to get the best out of this thing have been put together into something called the F5 Bible that can be downloaded from a few sites.
Here is one place you can get it, the bottom of the page titled F5 Tips and Tricks.
Fisher Metal Detectors

He is a serious hunter, great at coins and other things plus he is a jewelry hunter supreme and he believes this is one of the most underrated detectors on the market.
Also it has knobs...and who doesn't like them?

Last edited:

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I laughed my butt off at that....amused easily I suppose. :occasion14:

Must say I love knobs over membrane buttons any day!

roygpa

Mar 5, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Sunray X-1, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+ Garrett AT-Pro, Fisher F5, Fisher F2, 2- Garrett Pro Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A have an F5. Used for a couple months until I got schooled by a buddy on silver coins with an Etrac. Bought an Etrac the next day. Kept the F5 for a back up. Going to put fresh batteries in it this weekend and try it out again.

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A have an F5. Used for a couple months until I got schooled by a buddy on silver coins with an Etrac. Bought an Etrac the next day. Kept the F5 for a back up. Going to put fresh batteries in it this weekend and try it out again.

Fairly certain the $2400 Etrac schools most detectors in the $300-500 range. :treasurechest:

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
DETECTORS: XP Deus WS-4, Garrett AT Pro and Pro-Pointer, Fisher CZ-5
TOOLS: Piranha shovel & R85 Military digger, both by Predator Tools
ATTIRE: Red Head brand Knee-High Waterproof Snake Boots
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Fairly certain the $2400 Etrac schools most detectors in the $300-500 range. :treasurechest:
agreed. not really fair to compare a $2400 detector to those in the $500-$600 class. I will take my $550 Pro and let the Etrac users get a little more depth (if they really do, i dont know). take the extra $ and go on a vacation somewhere and dig history.

roygpa

Mar 5, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Sunray X-1, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+ Garrett AT-Pro, Fisher F5, Fisher F2, 2- Garrett Pro Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good point and not that it makes much of a difference but the Etrac is around 1500.

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
DETECTORS: XP Deus WS-4, Garrett AT Pro and Pro-Pointer, Fisher CZ-5
TOOLS: Piranha shovel & R85 Military digger, both by Predator Tools
ATTIRE: Red Head brand Knee-High Waterproof Snake Boots
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good point and not that it makes much of a difference but the Etrac is around 1500.

ya, i was thinking of the Minelab CTX 3030. even so...

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For beach detecting the lower priced Safari will hang with the Etrac or ctx on wet/dry salt sand. You can pick them up fairly cheap and they will handle wet salt sand and be very deep.

timelord

Sep 1, 2014
Sheboygan WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both, if you have the money buy the Safari over the f5 you will enjoy detecting much more. Then again it's twice the price.

OP
OP
eddiecurrent

eddiecurrent

Dec 25, 2015
Treasure coast Fl.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just do a Google search with the name Mike Hillis and the words F5, settings, and so on.
He is a guru with many detectors but he has been able to get deep into the settings, the relationship between the gain, thresh and disc, and figured out how to do more amazing things with this one than most others.
His many posts from over the years and theories on settings and how to get the best out of this thing have been put together into something called the F5 Bible that can be downloaded from a few sites.
Here is one place you can get it, the bottom of the page titled F5 Tips and Tricks.
Fisher Metal Detectors

He is a serious hunter, great at coins and other things plus he is a jewelry hunter supreme and he believes this is one of the most underrated detectors on the market.

Thanks for the info!

OP
OP
eddiecurrent

eddiecurrent

Dec 25, 2015
Treasure coast Fl.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both, if you have the money buy the Safari over the f5 you will enjoy detecting much more. Then again it's twice the price.

Funny you should say that, the local pawn shop has a safari out of pawn, I tried to check it's air depth, but I couldn't initiate it or get a response from a target because I'm unfamiliar with the set up and the pawnshop put the price sticker( $350) right over the screen, blocking everything.
Maybe I can read the online manual and go back and peel the sticker off, see if it works properly...I always offer pawn shops 20% less than their sticker and 9 times out of ten they agree.
But a new F5 is still tempting.
The few minelabs I borrowed from friends had a different response style from whites and fishers, they seemed to have a broader, delayish response signal over a target. I found them a little harder to pinpoint with.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny you should say that, the local pawn shop has a safari out of pawn, I tried to check it's air depth, but I couldn't initiate it or get a response from a target because I'm unfamiliar with the set up and the pawnshop put the price sticker( $350) right over the screen, blocking everything.
Maybe I can read the online manual and go back and peel the sticker off, see if it works properly...I always offer pawn shops 20% less than their sticker and 9 times out of ten they agree.
But a new F5 is still tempting.
The few minelabs I borrowed from friends had a different response style from whites and fishers, they seemed to have a broader, delayish response signal over a target. I found them a little harder to pinpoint with.

I would jump all over that! When you power up the machine just continue to hold down the power button. This will reset the machine and it will be in coin mode. Take a nickel, dime or quarter and check the tones. The nickel of course will be a mid tone and quarter sweet silvery high tone.

timelord

Sep 1, 2014
Sheboygan WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Safari does not air test well, just make sure it works and for $350 it a steal.... Go for it you will not regret it. Just for your info it take some time to learn it but it's worth the effort and will put the F5 to shame. Now for those F5 lovers I have both and I'm not trashing the F5 and with the Safari at twice the price it should do better....

timelord

Sep 1, 2014
Sheboygan WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One more thing the Safari will not give you any problem at the beach, just don't get the control box wet and your good to go.

When I do the beach here in WI I use a shoulder harness so I never drop it in the water works great, otherwise I use the strap for my 15"WOT....

OP
OP
eddiecurrent

eddiecurrent

Dec 25, 2015
Treasure coast Fl.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would jump all over that! When you power up the machine just continue to hold down the power button. This will reset the machine and it will be in coin mode. Take a nickel, dime or quarter and check the tones. The nickel of course will be a mid tone and quarter sweet silvery high tone.

Thanks! I'll try that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread