Anyone here detecting after a hip replacement?

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm 52 years old and my hips were so bad the past couple years that I had only gone out a couple of times. I was told buy the surgeon that I was about 10 years overdue, yikes! (I was born with uneven hips which is why they wore out at such a young age)

I had one hip replaced January 2022 and just had the second one done in May. The second surgery was just 4 weeks ago but I had to get out yesterday and hunt for while. I hunted the woods on our land so I didn't need to worry about being tidy. I got by with only having to kneel down twice within the 90 minute/15 target hunt but it was a little rough getting back up both times. I know the surgery was just 4 weeks ago but hey I needed to get out :icon_pirat:

Any of you detecting after hip replacement surgery? I'm wondering if it's going to be slow going from here on out. I'm not quite ready to slow down just yet. :blackbeard:

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Feel sorry for you and that surgery. Good luck!

OP
OP
Minrelica

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Feel sorry for you and that surgery. Good luck!
Thanks but it really wasn't bad at all! The pain leading up to it was a drag but the surgery went great and recovery has been smooth. I will let you feel sorry for me not being able to bounce back up to my feet from a kneeling position though :blackbeard:

OP
OP
Minrelica

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, my pain killers must be good. Why on earth did I post this in the Equinox section haha

Jamie Rullestad

Dec 3, 2020
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540, Nokta Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a knee replacement go sideways on me about 3 years ago, and I’m not gonna lie, I’ll pass on digging the deeper signals after I’ve been out for 30-45 minutes or so.

I try to turn that into a positive by allowing myself to go back for the deeper digs on the next go around.

OP
OP
Minrelica

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a knee replacement go sideways on me about 3 years ago, and I’m not gonna lie, I’ll pass on digging the deeper signals after I’ve been out for 30-45 minutes or so.

I try to turn that into a positive by allowing myself to go back for the deeper digs on the next go around.
Bummer about the knee.. I'm hoping I don't ever have to deal with that. No muscles on tendons cut for hip surgeries now but that's unavoidable with the knee. At least you can still get out even though you have to pass on a few targets. I'm thinking more than one person has taken up water hunting to avoid body aches. This hobby really can be tough on the body.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a real bad back and knees, I bought a "T" handled shovel to help with getting back up, all my digging was done with a regular Lesche digger before and it didn't help much, the "T" shovel helped a little but not much.. But my wife and I run a senior Apartment complex and we have a few folding walkers left from previous tenants and I have thought about using one of them and just leave it at the last hole until I need it, then bring it up to the hole I'm going to dig to use in helping to get up. You could also attach your digging bag to it and take weight of of you also add a seat to it and a bag for water and snacks. You can find them at thrift stores they usually have a few in there. I am in my 50's and the back and knees were all job related but we can't let it stop us we just need to innovate new ways to do things. Mostly I just do playgrounds and Tot-lots because they are easy.

OP
OP
Minrelica

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a real bad back and knees, I bought a "T" handled shovel to help with getting back up, all my digging was done with a regular Lesche digger before and it didn't help much, the "T" shovel helped a little but not much.. But my wife and I run a senior Apartment complex and we have a few folding walkers left from previous tenants and I have thought about using one of them and just leave it at the last hole until I need it, then bring it up to the hole I'm going to dig to use in helping to get up. You could also attach your digging bag to it and take weight of of you also add a seat to it and a bag for water and snacks. You can find them at thrift stores they usually have a few in there. I am in my 50's and the back and knees were all job related but we can't let it stop us we just need to innovate new ways to do things. Mostly I just do playgrounds and Tot-lots because they are easy.
I too have been using a small T-handle shovel to help push back upright. It's better than nothing. I did discover that detecting hills is easiest if you are facing uphill. Just push off the ground a bit with your hands and you're right back up. :thumbsup:

golddigger14s

Aug 14, 2007
Lawton, OK
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
I had my hip replaced about 8 years ago and it went great. My getting up and down has become a bit more difficult in general from age. (60) Get some gardening knee pads. My wife just got her hip done a week ago and she seems to be having a tougher time with it. But everybody is a little different. Take your time and maybe find some tools that are more accommodating. Around the house, I sometimes use one of those grabber gizmos. Don't let your pride get in the way, just do whatever it takes to do the things you enjoy. The grabber gizmo has a magnet but I added one of those super magnets to it.

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My sister and mother had both their hips replaced. Mom did fine & lived to be 90. My sister is going gang busters at 72. I had a knee replacement 4 years ago & everything is fine. No issues other than kneeling is a little painful but I don't do that. I think you'll be fine. Sir Edmund Hillary climbed Everest with hip replacements.

OP
OP
Minrelica

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had my hip replaced about 8 years ago and it went great. My getting up and down has become a bit more difficult in general from age. (60) Get some gardening knee pads. My wife just got her hip done a week ago and she seems to be having a tougher time with it. But everybody is a little different. Take your time and maybe find some tools that are more accommodating. Around the house, I sometimes use one of those grabber gizmos. Don't let your pride get in the way, just do whatever it takes to do the things you enjoy. The grabber gizmo has a magnet but I added one of those super magnets to it.
It's been getting a bit easier to get up and down. I've stepped it up a notch each day and haven't felt achy the day after so that's good. I ordered a couple highly rated grabbers before my first surgery knowing that I would need them and it was the best decision ever. Actually, I recommend them for everyone because why not.. I never realized how many things we drop until I needed to use one after surgery. I hope your wife had the anterior surgery (front incision) and not the outdated posterior. It really makes a difference in recovery speed.

OP
OP
Minrelica

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My sister and mother had both their hips replaced. Mom did fine & lived to be 90. My sister is going gang busters at 72. I had a knee replacement 4 years ago & everything is fine. No issues other than kneeling is a little painful but I don't do that. I think you'll be fine. Sir Edmund Hillary climbed Everest with hip replacements.
I've read some crazy posts about 70 year old men running marathons after double hip replacement. That's pretty crazy but it just shows you how good they are at the replacements now.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not me. In 2010 My horse stumbled in a river and rolled on me. i fractured my Pelvis in 2 places. It is still fractured and in Jan 5 2022 i had triple bypass surgery . i am still detecting . But i have not had a hip replacement soirry. Maybe i should ask for it ? J/K !!

bartholomewroberts

Feb 23, 2011
Cedar, B.C.
Detector(s) used
excal2, XP Deus, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No hip replacements [yet.. although I have been told that is in the future].. But I did have 2 titanium rods put up my spine a few months back.. like you, the up and down is difficult.. But rolling on to my knees seems to ameliorate some of the problems

Micheal

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions