Anyone hunt Hines Park?

Mar 21, 2007
You get your Permit for Wayne County just down the road on Ann Arbor Rd past Middlebelt , Nakin Mills on the south side of the road, has a Green Historical Marker nearby.If you want to find some old coins , detect near the water/stream, modern junk and some rings will be in the middle of the park , baseball areas and picknic areas.

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
YOU BETCHA! I have been hunting it since 1970, and I still haven't gotten it all. Mucho trash in most places, but if you go slow and use a small loop you'll get stuff. I have found many, many silver coins there, including I.H. cents, barbers, seated's, silver rings, a 2 cent piece, several barber halves, numerous wheats. take your fishing gear when ya go. Newburgh Lake has Bluegills, sunfish, catfish, Northern Pike, walleyes, yellow perch, crappies, hybrid bass ( cross between big and small mouth's) carp, and free music at the veranda at Newburgh Pointe down below comfort station....... Not GE

OP
OP
Jim 2.0

Jim 2.0

Nov 10, 2007
Pinckney, MI
Detector(s) used
BH, Prizm IV, Tesoro Cortez!
Had a great birthday/ picknick there (Ann Arbor Tr. & Hines Dr.) with family and old family friends. Didn't get to hunt much, but turned up a couple of clad quarters in volly ball courts that were near by.

notgittinenny said:
YOU BETCHA! I have been hunting it since 1970, and I still haven't gotten it all. Mucho trash in most places, but if you go slow and use a small loop you'll get stuff. I have found many, many silver coins there, including I.H. cents, barbers, seated's, silver rings, a 2 cent piece, several barber halves, numerous wheats. take your fishing gear when ya go. Newburgh Lake has Bluegills, sunfish, catfish, Northern Pike, walleyes, yellow perch, crappies, hybrid bass ( cross between big and small mouth's) carp, and free music at the veranda at Newburgh Pointe down below comfort station....... Not GE
Thanks for the tip Notgittennyy...sounds like a good day of fun!

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
I know it's an old thread, but I was lookin for the current status of metal detecting Hines park.

Anyone know anything current?

Riches in Michigan

Sep 10, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know it's an old thread, but I was lookin for the current status of metal detecting Hines park.

Anyone know anything current?

I hunted Hines a couple of times last year. There is a lot of area to cover so I hunted mostly ball fields.
It is an older park so I plan on going back at some point. VERY trashy.
Basically, I just searched around and hunted where I wanted. It is typically a pretty busy place...so probably week days would be best to hunt.

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
I hunted Hines a couple of times last year. There is a lot of area to cover so I hunted mostly ball fields.
It is an older park so I plan on going back at some point. VERY trashy.
Basically, I just searched around and hunted where I wanted. It is typically a pretty busy place...so probably week days would be best to hunt.

Does Wayne county still require a permit to do ot?

Riches in Michigan

Sep 10, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Does Wayne county still require a permit to do ot?

You know, I never even thought about it. I really don't know. I just showed up and hunted. I have hunted other locations in Wayne County as well and have never been hassled or even checked. Still, I don't think I would be afraid to go back without a permit. The cops I have seen there are busy busting speeders, underage drinkers and whatever else. In fact, I don't see cops that often. As many people that go there, they probably don't have enough cops to police every activity. This park has been heavily hunted so if you are coming a long way, I would do my research carefully. The park itself straddles 2 or 3 individual cities so the rules may be different for every jurisdiction. I have hunted the Dearborn end and parts of Livonia - no problems to date.

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Cool.

Yeh, I'd be coming in quite a ways if I do. The places in the park I want to go, would more than likely raise an eyebrow if I ran across someone, so I want to be pretty sure I'm legal. I know the park well, I also kind of doubt the places I want to go are very heavily hunted, they aren't whene the people go.

Thanks for the input, appreciate it.

I wasn't gonna go at all, but I think I might have changed my mind. I dont think I'll make it down till spring, so I'm gonna continue gathering intel. Got a buddy I'm gonna ask to recon the areas by car and foot. See whats happenin a bit closer.

Jan 1, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes You do need a permit.. I get a $85.00 fine for not having one in hines a few weeks ago when it was 50°+ out.. Did find some 200-500 Mash gold in the river down by the old Mill... I also do recall therr being a Old small (what I'd call a Carnival for KIds) down by the mill.. Have found mosly junk there but a few pieces of jewelry in that area..
a little research the area around the Old Mill was used as a Trading Post. Can't recall what tribe but think it was part of the Ottawa, Ojibwa, Potawatomi Indians.. But i maybe worng on the exact location.. Just fyi guys..

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope but would like to some day

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread