Anyone know good place to find arrowheads or flakes around Canon City area?

Kolorado

Sep 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been in a wheelchair for 12 yrs from MS, and I just starting walking again, I'm looking for arrowheads and exploring, having fun, but not finding anything. All the places I used to look have had sooo much traffic over the years, I can't even find a single chip of flint. Alot glass from peoples beer bottles though, lol.

Anyone know of a location I can look? I would be happy just to find some flakes or chips of flint, even if I don't find a full arrowhead. I also enjoy getting to see/explore the outdoors, and hike new places.

I keep looking at Google maps, I don't know where else to go. I do always keep my eye out for old bottles, or coins, but guess I would need to dig for those types of things.

Recently, I've gone arrow hunting at Red Canyon Pk, Fourmile Creek (Red Canyon Rd), Arkansas River walk, Garden Park Fossil area, Beaver Creek, I thought after all the heavy rains we got, but not finding anything.

I have gone back and checked these places several times but I need some new locations to try, that maybe haven't gotten so much traffic.

You can send info to: [email protected]
I would be forever grateful

Last edited:

johnzalez

Tenderfoot
Nov 7, 2010
This place is a ghost town, and it seems weird responding to your thread so long after you posted it, but I thought I'd chime in (not that it will be much help). My brother owns 40 acres about 5 miles northwest of the intersection of hwy 50 and hwy 9, and there are tons of flint chips and arrowheads on their land. It doesn't do you much good, as it's private land (and surrounded by more private land), but I've got to think the public land in the area should yield good results. We mostly are finding the flint piles out in the open, but the washes are turning up arrowheads too. I'm a novice and don't really know what we're finding, but they are mostly small... they seem more like dart tips than full size arrowheads (although we've found a few of those too). Anyway, that's probably of no help to you but, if anything, I hope it offers some encouragement to you and your hunt.

bones0506

Apr 28, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
any chance i can get permission to take my two grandsons and my wife on your families property in the near future i was born and raised south of canon city and recently moved back. would love to take them out and enjoy the outdoors they are young 13 and 8 my name is alan thank you in advance.

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
any chance i can get permission to take my two grandsons and my wife on your families property in the near future i was born and raised south of canon city and recently moved back. would love to take them out and enjoy the outdoors they are young 13 and 8 my name is alan thank you in advance.
Hi Alan, that thread is about 5 years old. I hope you get a response. If I were you I would take your boys exploring along the Arkansas river. That place was heavily traveled. I did find a full point at Indian Springs campground above Florence. You have to pay them a little to hunt there but it’s fun to get out!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions