✅ SOLVED Anyone know what this is - South Park 5 coin?

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Anyone know what this is - South Park 5 coin? Found it on the ground at my town dump. It is the size of a regular silver dollar though not as heavy or thick.

Thanks,

Maine_Jim

IMG-4020.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
maine_Jim

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Town dumps are what we call them here in Maine - officially it is called the Transfer Station but to me it will always be the "town dump". As the Transfer Station it has recycle bins, compost piles, metal recycle bins, oil recycle buckets, computers and electronics deposits, battery recycles areas, etc. etc. etc but my favorite is the "swap shop". I have found quite a few treasures there. When it was called the town dump you would just toss everything in a single pile and that pile was always burning, 24/7. You could also practice your shooting skills there as they let you shoot at the rats that were all around the piles of garbage everywhere...I think I like it better as the transfer station but I still call it the town dump. You have to be careful there though as there are still idiots around, for example today while dumping my metal I also picked up an 1870s cast iron pot that someone tossed out but beside it there were about a dozen live bullets just tossed into the pile...I picked them up and dropped them off to with the guys at the check-in, they just shook there heads and thanked me...

Maine_Jim

Upvote 3

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
There's one like it here on Worthpoint that says it is from New Jersey but I'm not seeing why they think that and I wouldn't rely on it.

There's also this one that has some similarity listed on the Token Catalog within the Chicago section - again I'm not sure why and wouldn't rely on that either. But they call it a "$5 gaming token" with the reference of Vacketta 1983, which I think is the publication "Trade Tokens of Illinois" so maybe there is more to it.

Upvote 7

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions