Anyone make / use a stamp mill?

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
M
If your smelting your ore and don't know what that 10 percent is I hope it's not Osmium which can cause blindness.

Your gold buyer must be giving you some sort of an assay report or are you only guessing your gold is coming in at 90 percent.

View attachment 2008578 .
MY smelter is outside so I doubt there's a buildup of toxic stuff.
Thanks for the heads up.
I can tell the purity of my product by color have been doin this stuff for like 30 years or better. The refiner does give a percent but no break down of assay... I use DHF refiners good reputation...
Gt ..

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kinda hijacked you thread assembler sorry will start an all things hardrock mining.....
Gt...
No problems. You helped to get other people interested and that counts as well. The more people sharing info about hard rock the better.

Can't remember seeing any good YouTubes on making a stamp mill. But back to the smelting ideas.... There was a miner had mines in Mexico. He made a video of smelting ore full of pyrite containing gold. It looked like a lot of work, but finished with a gold button. First crushing the ore. Then panning out visible gold. Pyrite separated out (think visually). Looked like only a small amount of visible gold panned. Most of the gold probably came out of smelted pyrite.

OP
OP
Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Can't remember seeing any good YouTubes on making a stamp mill. But back to the smelting ideas.... There was a miner had mines in Mexico. He made a video of smelting ore full of pyrite containing gold. It looked like a lot of work, but finished with a gold button. First crushing the ore. Then panning out visible gold. Pyrite separated out (think visually). Looked like only a small amount of visible gold panned. Most of the gold probably came out of smelted pyrite.
It is a good idea to keep the pyrites and process further as you make time for it like on a rainy day type of project.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a good idea to keep the pyrites and process further as you make time for it like on a rainy day type of project.

Glad to hear that, makes perfect sense.

OP
OP
Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I recall reading many years back of some people making a simple light weight stamp mill out of 4 - 6 sledge hammer heads of about 10 -14lb. heads. Did anyone come across this idea?
The cams can be almost anything for this type of heads.
thanks

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watched another vid, concentrates from either placer mining or crushed hard rock panning (don't remember which it was) used for part of smelt. Concentrates along with white quartz high grade ore broken up. Smelted down to a nice little bar with quartz glass layer (believe it went over top of bar). He saved his bars for sending to refiner later.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recall reading many years back of some people making a simple light weight stamp mill out of 4 - 6 sledge hammer heads of about 10 -14lb. heads. Did anyone come across this idea?
The cams can be almost anything for this type of heads.
thanks

Sounds like might be what they call a hammer mill. Back when I was in construction, for decades have been used for purposes other than mining.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tried searching, small hammer mills are used for feed grain. My first job working in a factory, they had a huge hammer mill to pulverize reject wood trim. A chop saw to chop trim about 12-14" lengths. If you had a 6-8 foot section with hammers, think of all the ore could be processed.

OP
OP
Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sounds like might be what they call a hammer mill. Back when I was in construction, for decades have been used for purposes other than mining.
It is a compact lightweight mill. This could be used out in the woods compared to a mill that weighs 1 - 2 tons.

OP
OP
Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Tried searching hammer mills are used for feed grain. My first job working in a factory, they had a huge hammer mill to pulverize reject wood trim. A chop saw to chop trim about 12-14" lengths.
Any idea of the manufacture or brand of the hammer mill? Any links?

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tried searching hammer mills are used for feed grain. My first job working in a factory, they had a huge hammer mill to pulverize reject wood trim. A chop saw to chop trim about 12-14" lengths.
Any idea of the manufacture or brand of the hammer mill? Any links?

Try Google feed technology-hammer mills. They are so small, not sure if can be used for rock.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Using froth flotation to upgrade ore into concentrates, the machine has an impeller, air injection, a floculant with a light oil.

Depending on the type of ore being processed the operator may want to add a suppressant to keep unwanted junk out of the froth.

Air bubble obtain a light coating of oil which attracts the mineral the operator is after.

I have tried this on a small scale.

That sure looks like what the miner from Mexico had for his pyrite separation and visible gold.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure how all that works, but sure looks interesting.

OP
OP
Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Try Google feed technology-hammer mills. They are so small, not sure if can be used for rock.
The downside of a rotary hammer mill is that you have to run the material a number of times through to get down to 180 minus mesh.

small feed hammer mill

http://www.feedpelletplants.com/small-feed-hammer-mill.html

Hammer mill crusher is suitable for crushing raw materials with size less than 30~50mm (diameter), such as cotton stalk, corn stalk, wheat straw etc. It can also crush all kinds of feed raw materials like corn, grass, alfalfa, soybean/rapeseed oil meal, rice, etc. After the crushing process, the output size of the material can reach diameter 3-5mm,

I still will use a rotary hammer mill as part of the process.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, agreed anything that can help speed up the process.

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
This whole page has me confused, are we talking gold mining, farming, lead mining, I'm lost here guys, guess I've had to much coffee...
Gt...

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Talking about gold ore, using a hammer mill to crush it. A miner had plans for one to process ore but they are also sold on Internet to mill grain for feed. Question was, can a commercially produced feed hammer mill be used to crush gold ore? Buying the mill on Internet verses making your own (DIY).

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watching this video at the moment, to see how good it turns out.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, according to video, the mill uses a little water at top. You shovel in ore, it comes out in a fine gold sluice (water circulating) and gold at bottom. Process you shovel in ore and end up with gold.

OP
OP
Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok, according to video, the mill uses a little water at top. You shovel in ore, it comes out in a fine gold sluice (water circulating) and gold at bottom. Process you shovel in ore and end up with gold.
This has some good ideas going for it. Thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread