Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So in a 2 stamper the sequence of the stamps is pretty straight forward but in a larger mill of 5 stamps the cams were set to a stamp sequence, according to the Nevada county historical society two so called “California Patterns” exist, 1,4,2,3,5 and 1,4,2,5,3.

OP
OP
Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This isn’t really how stampmills work. They have a screen which is installed in front and sometimes sides of the stamp battery. Water and ore are added in a continuous feed.
The continuous feed type stampmills do have screens. The simple light weight batch stamp mill often don't have the screens. I'm interested in small light weight mills due to the fact of the ground it will be on (up to 55 degrees) and will be moving the mill from time to time.

OP
OP
Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Most rod mills do not have much impact or fall on materials and will have more of a grinding process.
Rod mills are good for very fine grind.

Stamp mills have lost favor due to weight, costs, size, noise etc.

The cam can be anywhere on the shaft however for a smoother operation there needs to be some balance to reduce stress and twist.

OP
OP
Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Anyone see liner bearings used with a free to rotate stamp shaft and shoe?

The straight cam will make almost any round shaft to rotate as long as there is a ring of metal in contact with the cam. This is a natural motion and should be taken advantage of for wear reasons.

Great video of the two stamp mill and thanks for posting N-Lionberger.

As you know now I'm thinking very small scale here and easy to move is important factor for one miner.

OP
OP
Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The production speed of the stamp mill is not the most important factor if the alternative is moving the ore on a steep slope that has to be cabled out.

There is little equipment that can sit on a 50 degree slope is the point. Maybe if a flat ground spot is made then the equipment could be set up. However you still have to move the ore rock..........lol.

You can try to set up equipment underground is the real answer for a short period of time.

OP
OP
Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

This is the mill my ECV chapter has. I’m on the Stampmill crew. We’re hoping to get going on a rebuild this summer the wood needs to be replaced as the woodpeckers have destroyed it. In the video you can see the tappet on the left stamp stem engaging the rocker arm to the feeder.

Just an suggestion on how to mill the timbers the club needs to rebuild the mill. Use a chainsaw mill very cost effective if you can cut some local trees.

OP
OP
Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It appears that a stamp mill this size will need a road to it for movement of the ore rock.

OP
OP
Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It appears there is not much to a simple stamp mill that stamps single batches of materials. I know this is not the best setup however it appears to be faster then I thought.

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
41A5F5A7-35AB-4E9D-B4E3-FFBE16495D2D.jpeg
It appears there is not much to a simple stamp mill that stamps single batches of materials. I know this is not the best setup however it appears to be faster then I thought.

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you happen to come across more information / dimensions on either stamp mill please PM me as I would love to see any information.
Thanks.
They are both in the Trinity County Historical Society museum in Weaverville, they also have a functioning steam driven two stamp mill.

OP
OP
Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
They are both in the Trinity County Historical Society museum in Weaverville, they also have a functioning steam driven two stamp mill.
Looks like lead babbit bearing on the first stamp mill with a interesting containment cup over the crushing area. Looks like babbit or bronze bearing on the larger 3 stamp mill. Lot more machining on the larger mill. Cast cams.

OP
OP
Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Stamp mill​

Gold ore Stamp Mill​

OP
OP
Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Stamp Mill Homemade depression era for gravel type gold mine ,California Mother Lode area

Homemade stamp mill​

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
On the 3 stamper the cams were weld fabricated not cast. The one stamp hand crank mill is one that haunts me as I had the opportunity to buy one just like it when I was a kid for peanuts and passed on it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread